EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Yeah I thought she'd hang on and hang on. I liked her at times but they never did anything with her. It was a brave decision to turf her and Ronnie, but the right one. (even though I hate what Sharon's become, I'm also glad she outlasted them as Santer once said something like there was no need for Sharon to return because they represented her two sides) .

I just hope the constant rumors of Jay being let go aren't true. I'm barely hanging on with this rotgut show and that would end it for me.

• Members

This may be a minority opinion, but I will definitely miss Roxy. Whenever she got to be around other characters away from Ronnie I found her so likable, fun, and fascinating. She was never allowed to meet her true potential because they only ever saw her as a plot device for Ronnie. She's kind of how US soaps, DAYS in particular, think characters that are part of "supercouples" are useless without their other half and must be thrown out if the other one isn't around. If they had actually let her have her own life, independent of Ronnie and the Mitchells, she could have been fantastic. I'll miss her.

As for Ronnie, the baby switch story was must see for me because of Sam Womack and her impressive must see performances. That made me love wacked out Ronnie more than most, and when DTC said that he would make her a full villain, I was ready to get my life. I loved her killing Carl, I loved her and Charlie together, both being upfront about their actions to each other and still standing by the other. She was one of the best things about the show at this point, and then it all went terribly wrong, along with the rest of the show. If they're going out together, I hope that doesn't mean Ronnie gets off scot free for her actions and they literally leave town together. Roxy deserves to not be tethered to her any longer.

I also don't understand how exit announcements for Babe and Claudette have not yet been made. I fear for SOC's vision if he thinks any time and effort on them is worth any energy at all.

Edited by Bright Eyes

• Members

I disagree with the decision to get rid of Ronnie and Roxy even though I understand it. Being honest though, I think there are a hell of a lot of characters above them crying to be axed. Masood, Denise, Patrick, Kyle, Billy. If they bring back Kim Medcalf I don't mind as much, I would understand the reason for wanting to have Phil's sister in the show rather than his cousins. I don't want Jay to go either.

I'm starting to wonder what will happen to Abi too. I wouldn't be surprised if she was re-cast, I think the actress is hanging on by a thread.

Even though I don't think Les or Pam are very well-acted, I'm annoyed the cross-dressing story will be cut short. It has massive long term potential and I was looking forward to watching it play out over a few years.

• Members

So disagree that Masood, Denise, and Patrick need to be cut. They have tons of potential if a writer would pen them them each the proper story. 

Ronnie and Roxy have given all they can give. There's nowhere else you can take Ronnie or Roxy. Hell, I feel that way about all of the Mitchells minus the younger Mitchells (Ben, Louise, Jay, Courtney, Mark). As much as I love Steve McFadden (as an actor), he needs to be cut too. Phil is deadweight too. 

This show needs to seriously revive itself. IMO, it's time for a big, tragic stunt to occur that claims many lives. Preferably, Phil, the Carters (minus Lee), Whitney, Abi, Lauren, and Jane. 

• Members

Out of curiosity what would you do with those characters if you were writing for the show; Denise, Patrick and Masood? Don't get me wrong, I think Diane is a fine actress, and if I was in charge I would be reluctant to let her go, based purely on her fabulous friendship with Carmel. But other than this friendship what else can they do with her? And other than pairing up Carmel and Masood (which looks likely) I can't see what else is left for Masood. All he has is Kamil (which in itself is totally ridiculous because I don't believe for a second that Zainab would allow her 6 year old son to be across the world from her). Now that all of Masood's family has been written out, I just don't feel like he has any purpose left and I don't think the character is strong enough to survive. If it was Zainab who had been left on her own, I think it'd be worth keeping her as she was a much more interesting, diverse character.

I don't like the fact that Patrick has been thrown with the Foxes just because he's a black character, it just seems odd to me. I never really liked Jay being added to the Mitchell clan either but at least he serves a purpose.

I agree about Phil. He goes round in circles too these days. Never in a million years would they let him go though. I think they should just bite the bullet so to speak and axe him, or water the character down (a hell of a lot) now that he's getting older, and let him be part of Ben and Louise's stories. Ben is the single most interesting character on the show IMO, and the actor said in a recent interview that he hopes to stay around long term which I think is fantastic news.

Maybe it is for the best Ronnie and Roxy go, time will tell. I really think there is a lot of potential in having Sam back on the street (either re-cast or with Kim in the role), Phil needs a close relative around other than his children.

Do you agree about Kyle and Billy?

Edited by Edward Skylover

• Members

Carl, are you voting in the Walford Web favourite soap hunks (UK only). It is quite the undertaking to decipher. I feel so guilty for leaving others out, but you're only allowed 10/20, when I could have added tons more. Anyway, after much debate with myself here is who I finally settled on.

1. Ashley Taylor Dawson (Darren Osborne, Hollyoaks)
2. Matthew Wolfenden (David Metcalfe, Emmerdale)
3. James Sutton (John Paul McQueen, Hollyoaks/Ryan Lamb, Emmerdale)
4. Ben Freeman (Scott Windsor, Emmerdale)
5. Ryan Hawley (Robert Sugden, Emmerdale)
6. Tom Lister (Carl King, Emmerdale)
7. Rik Makarem (Nikhil Sharma, Emmerdale)
8. Bruno Langley (Todd Grimshaw, Coronation Street)
9. Mikey North (Gary Windass, Coronation Street)
10. Qasim Akhtar (Zeedan Nazir, Coronation Street)
--
11. Jeremy Edwards (Kurt Benson, Hollyoaks)
12. Michael Parr (Ross Barton, Emmerdale)
13. Aaron Fontaine (Sonny Valentine, Hollyoaks)
14. Sam Strike (Johnny Carter, EastEnders)
15. Ayden Callaghan (Miles de Souza, Emmerdale/Joe Roscoe, Hollyoaks)
16. Ben Hardy (Peter Beale, EastEnders)
17. Cameron Moore (Cameron Campbell, Hollyoaks)
18. David Witts (Joey Branning, EastEnders)
19. Chris Fountain (Justin Burton, Hollyoaks/Tommy Duckworth, Coronation Street)
20. Aaron Sidwell (Steven Beale, EastEnders)

• Members

I just did. I had a tough time and I know I missed a few I wish I'd included now, but it was hard to really say:

1. Ryan Thomas 
2. Tom Lister 
3. Adam Thomas
4. Ryan Hawley
5. James Thornton
6. Lyndon Ogbourne
7. Rob James Collier
8. Jake Wood
9. Nigel Harman
10.Philip Lowrie

Second list: 

1. Deepak Verma
2. Gary Beadle 
3. Jamie Lomas
4. Karl Davies
5. Michael le Vell 
6. Todd Carty 
7. Chris Gascoyne 
8. Anthony Quinlan 
9. Bruno Langley 
10. Nigel Pavaro

Honorable mentions: Kevin Sacre, Paul Fox, Damon Grant Brookside, Philip Olivier, the cute young Scottish guy on Crossroads 2.0, Ashley Taylor Dawson, Michael French

• Members

I didn't realize until after I gave my list how many guys I do find extremely hot I just didn't think to put on there (Rik Makarem, Jamie Borthwick, Mikey North). British soaps really do have the best guys, especially when they aren't trying too hard (like this dull, awkward himbo "Mark Fowler Jr").

• Members

Carmel & Zainab are Masood and Denise's potential story. Nina Wadia as said tons of times too that she'd be open to returning to EE, but they've never invited her back. 

They should simply build Masood and Carmel up to getting engaged and marrying with Denise pulling the strings to bring them together as a friend. Once Masood and Carmel are together ... bam! In walks Zainab. Masood is torn between his present feelings for Carmel, but can't deny the past with Zainab. Same with Denise. She loves her newfound friendship with Carmel but can't deny her loyalty to Zainab. That's their story. Plus, I've always said they need to bring Chelsea back to the Square for Denise. I'd bring back Jordan too as they should've never written that sh-tty story of him trying to run off with Lucas last year too.

Patrick is a pillar in the community. IMO, he doesn't need a story. He should always serve as the 'Greek chorus' to all that is going on in the community and remain as Denise and Kim's surrogate father. He excels at that role. He should be untouched like Dot is. 

With Kyle and Billy, I don't mind either one. I'd want Billy to remain for the simple fact that he is tied to Jay. That alone is enough for me to want him to stick around. Kyle needs something more besides being Stacey's babysitter and overseer. It's tired and old. At the height of the transgender issues here in America, I'd like to see something like that on EE and see how it'd be dealt with in Walford. 

• Members

Another axing. And another I don't really agree with, as I think Lee was a perfectly decent young male character (something in extremely short supply on EE) who worked well with the Carters and Whitney. (I also thought he was hot as hell, I will admit). It makes me uneasy that some of these people have been let go while Babe, Shakil, Louise, etc. continue to loiter. Babe is untenable after last week's shitfest of episodes. If she doesn't go soon I doubt I will watch much longer. 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/1647196/eastenders-loses-its-third-actor-in-a-week-as-danny-boy-hatchard-is-set-to-leave/