EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

This episode had some decent moments but unfortunately fell prey to the same sloppy production that plagued much of Peggy's return.

What I liked:

- Sharon talking with Phil after finding out about Peggy. A good scene, one of the few in the episode that flowed believably and had some emotion. 

- Most of the reactions to Peggy's death.

- Ian and Phil after Peggy's death, and the scene of Jane asking how Phil was, with Ian replying, "He's lost his mum," looking straight at an uneasy Kathy - a cutting reminder that Ian had grieved his mother for a decade. 

What I should have liked:

- Phil reading Peggy's letter. Sadly, between Barbara's voiceover and Julia's Theme, Steve McFadden was fighting a losing battle. Too much going on. 

- Phil finding Peggy. A good producer would have had a beat, a moment, between Phil seeing Peggy and breaking down. That didn't happen, which meant that you basically saw Steve McFadden acting. 

What I didn't like:

- A seemingly interminable scene of Jane and Sharon going on about Sharon's feelings for Phil, in the time that viewers were waiting to see Phil realize Peggy was dead. A very bizarre choice. 

I don't give a damn: 

- I'm genuinely stumped that at one point I was almost hoping for Martin and Stacey to be happy. I now have no idea why, when the show is so uninterested in them as a couple that the days before their wedding are nothing but scene after scene of carrying toilets, and Stacey grasping for reasons not to marry him.

- Bobby rage. The only interesting part of this is just how little they actually show of Bobby in what was supposed to be a story about him. I feel like someone along the way realized how limited the boy who plays Bobby is, and that led to some changes in the plot. 

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Other than the usual Bobby tedium, which continues to make a mockery of Lucy's death, of the Beale family, and of any pretense Eastenders has of being socially relevant, I liked this episode. I'd say it was actually the best episode of the week, and the one where I felt the most emotions.

Loved the scene with Ben and Jay. It was just about perfect. I wasn't sure where Jay was (I guess he was in a park, but would that be allowed?), but that's a minor quibble. I really needed the moment where he heard about Peggy and talked about being on his own. And Ben insisting they hug, because he knew Jay needed it. Lovely. 

The scene where Martin told Stacey they didn't need to forget the past was a real surprise for me. It was probably my favorite scene of theirs up to this point and it showed the chemistry that James and Lacey have built up over time. It was a wonderful scene. I really want more of this - a couple talking about and acknowledging their past without wallowing in it...and even better, a history being acknowledged without sounding like a writer skimmed Wikipedia 10 minutes before they turned the episode in. I also love how Lily is treated by Martin, how they don't do the soap cliche of the pouting brat who makes wise remarks a 60 year old would be saying. She's a shy little girl who hasn't had an easy life, and I like to think some part of Martin remembers what his own childhood was like and it's why he connects with her. 

Unfortunately, Wikipedia speak was exactly what Dot's scene with Phil sounded like. I guess they assume no viewers have any idea who Ethel was, and have never seen the story, and to be fair, I'm sure many viewers haven't, but it can still be written in a believable way. I've seen fan fiction that involves Ronnie's long-lost daughter Renee and her blossoming romance with Liam Butcher that has more believable dialogue. 

Still, it was an OK scene, and the scenes with Phil dealing with what his mother did and addressing it with Shirley and Sharon, in different ways true to his relationships with them, were also good. I doubt you'll be getting "Give Steve McFadden an Oscar!" articles on scenes like tonight, but for me, they were Steve at his best. Few actors can play silence and contemplation like he can. 

I could have done without Kush shoehorning himself into the wedding, especially since I don't believe Martin was comfortable with him being there (then again when did he ever really have much interest in Martin's feelings), but that's Kush for you. At least it didn't cause a scene. Stacey's other admirer, Andy, moving in must be another of DTC's "bombs." I hope Sean O'Connor avoids the cheap temptation.

• Members

Peggy was never my favourite character, and I thought she was overhyped and overplayed. But Barbara Windsor's performance in those final eps really blew me away. Am actually in awe at how good she was, very moving and understated. Also had goosebumps at Grant's return, and seeing Pat again was so much better than I dared hope! 

• Members

Sorry I've been reading through old posts in the thread and I agree with this.

I think they should kill off Phil for everything he's done, send Ronnie to prison for many years (I love her but she's been ruined, I wouldn't mind her coming back in a few years). I do want the Mitchells to stay but I think they should make Roxy, Ben etc carry on the legacy, those characters still have mileage. They could also get back Kim Metcalf's Sam.

Janine went to prison for years for killing Laura, which she didn't even do, but it was a fitting end as she pretty much killed Barry. I really hope Harry Reid stays, he's a beautiful guy, and is the best Ben we've had so far.

• Members

It must have been a year - she got released on that trial where Pat and Frank met at the end of 2005. She was arrested in April 2004, or am I remembering it wrong?

How do you feel about Ben?

Edited by Edward Skylover

• Members

Maybe it was a year.  I forgot it was that long.

I think Harry Reid is good as Ben when they give him the right material. He obviously loves the show and his character. I feel like they've missed many opportunities with Ben, between mishandled Kathy's return and the poorly written gay repression story that somehow became about him wanting to have his cake and eat it too. I hope the new producer has better plans for him.

• Members

As a huge fan of Harry's Ben, I'm disappointed how they didn't focus at all on his relationship with Paul yet we as viewers are supposed to believe that they are mega in love. The writers are so obsessed with the Mitchells that they can't focus on the individual characters and instead concentrate on them as a unit too much. I hope once Paul goes, they have a decent real love story for Ben, but my fear is that he'll be put with Johnny who he isn't suited to at all. People on DS are calling for him and Jay to get together but I think that would be an obvious, insencere route to take, and damage the work they've made creating a gay/straight male bromance.

Edited by Edward Skylover

• Members

I never got why people want Jay/Ben together. I love their bromance as it shows that gay and straight men can be close friends w/o there being any sexual tension or ties to one another. 

It is obvious that Ben will most likely be tossed into Johnny's orbit as he's the only gay man left on the Square. I can only see Johnny being put with one other person and that is Steven, who is rumored to be returning too, and that's if he stays for a stint.