EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

Well THAT was a duff duff worth remembering tonight. And it totally explains the wacky writing which led Shirley to that door.

Kush's romantic inclinations are really pissing me off now. Who the f**k does he really want? Or does he just want to use his dead wife Safira to keep his one night stand winning streak alive? I'd actually love there to be a twist that he and Paul had a one night stand. Now there's a couple I could root for.

Edited by TimWil

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Another exit of someone who isn't a DTC pet.

It's too bad, as the character had a lot of potential, even if the actress wasn't that great.

And bringing Kathy back after her grandson will likely be gone is pathetic - typical lazy DTC failures yet again.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2/eastenders/news/a652770/eastenders-danielle-harold-is-leaving-lola-pearce-role-ill-miss-everyone-here.html

• Members

Danielle Harold wasn't very good, though, in my opinion. There's been speculation that she's had health issues. Is Jamie Borthwick next?

I think there's a very real possibility that Courtney Mitchell will be brought in to fill that age slot.

Edited by TimWil

• Members

How can you say she barely knows Phil? There was a long stretch where he stayed with her and Grant. And just because we never see Phil talk to her on the phone doesn't mean he doesn't.

It's quite possible she can come to Walford initially without Grant. She's 18 years old now.

Bright Eyes, I thought Harold did a good job in the episodes when Lola gave birth. She obviously works very hard. I just don't think her or her character have been very interesting. Of course a lot of this is because of the writing. I think she would have been more believable as a "bad girl," anyway.

Edited by TimWil

• Members

I don't know what reason she would have to come back without Grant. Walford is not her home, and her recent memories of it are from a decade ago when she was a kid.

The Mitchell's are also a very fragmented and weak familial unit, and her ties to the ones on the show are very loose. She could very well show up, but I don't see it happening any time soon or the show knowing how to properly utilize the character.

• Members

I think they have enough Mitchells already. Phil is a boring, used up character, and he's the only person Courtney would know that well. If they go that route I'd rather they bring back Louise and Lisa.

The main problem is DTC cannot write for young characters.

I do think Jamie must be on the way out too, which is a huge waste...but then that is Eastenders these days.

• Members

No!!!

Not Lola. sad.png

I hate how DTC never even tried to do anything with her. They should've had her come between Jay and Abi seeing as she had heat with Jay that has never really been capitalized on.

First Lucy. Then Peter. Followed by Liam. Now Lola.

I'm banking that Jay/Jamie Borthwick will be next to announce his exit.

Sadly, we get stuck with all the dud younger characters [i.e. Whitney, Cindy, Lee, Nancy] while the good ones leave back to back.

• Members

She did have a decent episode this week with Carol. However it's obvious DTC and Co. are not very interested in her or her love interest Lee, even if he is a Carter.

So after Friday's revelation I doubt it will turn out that Dean had raped Shabnam in that club. That would be "piling on," wouldn't it? However I can see the little girl passing away due to her medical condition sometime this fall resulting in a drunken Dean having a massive meltdown in the Vic, wailing "I'm being punished!" and confessing his rape of Linda.

Edited by TimWil

• Members

The writing was on the wall with Lola. I think it's a waste, but it was obvious DTC had no time for the character or her connections to the Square. Now, he can stop ignoring the elephant in the room that is Ben being Lexi's father, as she'll no longer be around. Plus, Billy can go back to being isolated, again.

It really is all about rehashing and regressing with DTC.

I think they've struggled to write for the teens/20 something groups, which are kinda drifting aimlessly. I hope Jay is not the next to leave. Do not freak me out, people!

As for that cliffhanger: Shirley barges in a stranger's home, calling out to a kid she's never even met, "I'm your grandma", only to get this: "She's not Jade. I am". It was too unrealistically staged in that melodramatic theatrical way that DTC loves. Such contrived nonsense to shoehorn Shirley in, and to remind us of how much she has suffered, and will undoubtedly have to make up for her past mistakes. Shirley should have had her own bloody spin-off and spared us all.

• Members

The prospect of a Shirley spin-off is truly frightening. I'll have nightmares tonight of her bumping off Ronnie and her and Roxy running off to Spain together in a remake of Eldorado. At least Aleks might be there in just his black underwear briefs, bending over something.

I have a feeling that Shirley will keep the medical condition of her granddaughter to herself for a while.

Why didn't Fatima mention Jade/Roya's medical condition to Masood? She definitely knows, right?

Edited by TimWil