EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Members

I didn't take it as an insult, Carl! I wasn't a fan of that kid at all, either.

OK, so Phil doesn't know yet that Kathy's Gavin is Sharon's Gavin (if that even is true)? If he did he wouldn't have sent Sharon to that address.

Speaking of "real dad" he lives in Notting Hill? That triggered a memory I had of a conversation between Sharon and Chrissie in 2004. Sharon asked Chrissie if she was content and Chrissie said "Well, I wouldn't mind a penthouse in Bayswater but apart from that I'm fine with what I have." Bayswater is only blocks away from Notting Hill, they're basically the same neighborhood. Yep, if I won the lottery I wouldn't mind a penthouse in Bayswater, either. I wonder if that scene on Friday's episode was actually shot in Notting Hill. The block did look similar to a street very near the Notting Hill Gate tube station. It's the street I'd use on Saturdays to avoid the mob of people heading to Portobello Road.

Edited by TimWil

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

While we're on that topic, I'd settle for a nice little terrace near Shepherd's Bush Green myself (Just a bit further down from Notting Hill and Bayswater), handy to the Overground, Circle, Hammersmith & City and Central lines as well as markets, shops and Westfield :).

I do wish EastEnders would shoot more on location in London though. I actually prefer London location shoots to when the show films abroad.

• Members

I'm so angry with Masood's behavior, partly because I care about him, and partly because I feel like he's just being used as a plot device to bring the loathsome Carters into the baby story. I don't know if the show has decided the rape shouldn't be mentioned anymore, but it's ludicrous to me that Masood is so selfish that he doesn't realize one of the reasons Shabnam doesn't want the Carters to know is because of Dean being a rapist.

The Ronnie/Charlie/Roxy story is a huge bust. Charlie is vacuous even by DTC male standards.

Anyway, Ross Kemp fans may enjoy this - there's already an episode up with him in it but I don't think this one was up. It's an Emmerdale Farm episode close to Christmas 1986.

(I never knew he got fired from Emmerdale for having an outburst on set - I wonder if they had any longer story plans for him)

• Members

If Dean ever leaves, it could be fun if Stacey thinks she has a chance of the salon becoming hers only to find out Dean has sold it to Chelsea. And if Libby returns, it needs to be because she had become successful and wants to help out her family. If they ever pull an Abi with her, that would be so annoying.

Also, they mentioned the rape today.

Edited by Bright Eyes

• Members

So what will it take for Dean's being a rapist coming to light in such a way that he'll get his comeuppance?

Perhaps there could suddenly be an arrest of someone who took video of couples having sex in West End clubs. And one of them clearly shows Dean forcing himself on a barely awake Shabnam. That should be proof enough, right? Maybe not enough to convict Dean in a court of law but enough to expose him (sorry for the pun) for the rapist he is.

• Members

I always enjoy seeing those idents and trailers and so on, especially the rare EE one.

Your earlier post about Dean - I think most of the people in Walford believe he's a rapist, so I don't know if they need any proof. I also think they've diluted any purpose or power the rape story could have had and it's too late to go back. I imagine Dean will self-destruct and ultimately exit via those mistakes, and the show will say that's justice, with the last moment being sainted, noble Shirley giving up on him. That's what I hate most - that many viewers will cry for Shirley and absolve her of all sins. She's not a child - why is she treated like one?

BE it's funny they did have Tamwar mention the rape after my post. And Tamwar would, since he's one of the few on the show with any sense. Seeing Masood trying to be more supportive just makes his betrayal even more painful. The Masoods are still such a solid family unit (the only believable family unit on the show, aside from Kim/Denise/Patrick), no matter how much hype the Mitchells and the Carters get.

The Ronnie/Roxy/Charlie story just sucks so much. I think the show genuinely sees Roxy and Charlie as victims. DTC has always had a blind spot for Roxy. This is such a sour, forced story that threw out the potential they built for Ronnie last year.

• Members

It just seems like Masood has had a personality transplant these past few months to twist this Roya storyline into a pretzel. It's awful. I like the actor and he deserves better.

Bonnie Langford continues to impress me. I love me some Barbara Windsor but Langford is already turning in a subtle, varied performance that Babs never has. DTC must be after her to sign a long term contract. She does panto every year, though, so maybe Phil and CarMEL will run off together?

• Members

Poor Bonnie, to be hooked up with Phil. You could be right though. Hell, maybe she'll run off with Max.

I know there's some spec she will be paired with Masood but I'm not sure if I believe it.

I agree about the character change. Nitin is doing his best to sell it but it feels so wrong, as does Stacey/Kush while Stacey is trying to be Shabnam's friend. Too much plot-driven misery, not enough heart.

• Members

I've been trying to figure out why Masood would even think it was a good idea to inform Shirley that Roya is alive. I believe he would have issue with the lie itself, but I think believing Dean is a rapist would be enough to keep him from involving Shirley. It's a plot device for sure, and a lazy one at that. I don't think it damages Mas' character, as they're presenting him as being noble and righteous with his decision, despite his motivation being a bit of a mystery. I think they couldn't figure out how to involve Shirley and Co., so they came up with this nonsense.

Anyhow, apart from that, this story has shown the Masoods can carry the show when given the opportunity. It's been so good having Carter free weeks, lately (I don't miss them at all), even we have been dumped on by the awful Ronnie/Charlie/Roxy triangle (Charlie is a no personality bore, and Ronnie can do way better), and the equally awful Ian/Jane/Cindy story.

Speaking of Jane: seeing her with Mas again, reminded me of what a better character she was with him. It's such a shame that 2015 has ruined her character.