EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I don't mind Liam but I cannot take any more of him being presented as some sort of ragamuffin child. Between the cap which seems to get larger and larger and the coveralls they had him wear today to work on the car, he looked like he was from Gasoline Alley. He desperately needs to be matured. He doesn't have to go around getting drunk, I just mean lose the cap and some of the stupidity.

Tiffany greatly annoys me when they write her as some sort of saccharine Veruca Salt (I still have awful memories of when they had her scream for comedy -- children screaming isn't adorable), but she seems calmer now. I don't know if that is just the little girl getting older or if Kirkwood sorted it out, but either way it's good. I liked the scene with the vicar, mostly because it was light relief without seeming too cutesy.

The stuff with Bianca and Kim and Ricky didn't quite work for me, although I did get the idea of it, and Patsy did a good job. I wish Kat had had more of a role in that than standing in the background. I wasn't bothered by her actions today with Patrick but some fans were. I think that's because she has been far too one-note on her return. I hope the show does more to actually fit her into the Square.

I wonder if the other shoe is about to drop on Whitney. She seems too secure in the idea of Billie wanting to be with her.

I wish all this about Jay deserting Billy for Phil had not been so sudden, although I guess they have to work with the limited time Jay can be used. I still think Billy's old flame looks like Laurie Metcalf.

All the scenes with Carol were hard to watch but I have to say again and again how believably they are writing her breakdown. It is so slow, and painful. She's helpless, angry, bitter, clinging to anything she can find, and every time she tries to get back up, she's kicked harder than ever. Lindsey Coulson is doing some of the best work I've ever seen on a soap and Jake Wood is right there with her. That scene of Carol and Max on opposite sides of the door and Carol trying to lie to Max to get him to leave her alone was exquisitely done.

And on a shallow note -- Jake looked gorgeous in that shot. Between that and all the fantasstic shots of him in tight trousers, today was a very very good Max day :)

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

I wasn't sure. Once we saw how close Lauren was physically to the first Lauren, I thought they might go the same way. I thought they were probably going to keep Ben the same in personality but might change him physically. I'm glad they haven't, at least so far. The boy who plays him reminds me somewhat of Jay.

I'm still hoping they won't go the cliche of having Ben as closeted gay. I've always felt like having Ben as effeminate, shy, and heterosexual would be Phil's worst headache because if Ben was gay then Phil could, after some anger and belligerence and perhaps efforts to "cure" Ben, would probably just say nothing can be changed. That won't be as easy if Ben is straight.

I forgot to mention how good it was when they had Liam go to get Max. I never thought I'd see the Brannings this close. I still remember in 2008 and 2009 when they barely seemed to remember they were related to each other. They are such a jagged edge family, so true to life. In spite of the confusing backstories and the actors being on the show at very different times in EE's life they are one of the most believable families I've seen on a soap. And while this might just be a respite until Jack gets a story again I am so glad they have stopped the stories where Jack goes around squaring off with other alpha males. That type of thing can become very silly quite easily -- I think the only time it's ever really worked on EE was with early Grant, then Steve Owen and Phil and Dan, and finally Dennis. With Sean it looked like he was going to start laughing most of the time...

• Members

Aren't Ben and Abi supposed to be the same age? I think they've made him slightly older than her with this recast.

The Branning's were often in their own little orbits before and their stories didn't allow for much crossover at the time. In a way, when the shock of Billie's death is over, Max, Carol, Bianca, and Jack will all probably go back to their respective orbits.

I did hear there was supposed to be a big story with Jim, Max, and Jack, but they couldn't do it when Jim Bardon had his stoke, and they can barely use him now as it is.

• Members

I don't think the Brannings will ever be a constant presence in each other's stories but I'm hoping they will still maintain some links even when this story is over, like Jack and Max did after Jack was shot and learning to walk again.

I decided to watch an early 2009 episode and within two minutes Max was going "Tan...Tan..." :rolleyes: Unless Max sings The Girl from Epenima or whatever that song is, I hope to never hear that again.

• Members

Thanks for posting, dannigold.

Here's the video in YouTube format.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv6g7FweCBI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv6g7FweCBI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv6g7FweCBI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

• Members

Today's episode:

I really like Julie so far, and I think she and Billy have a nice/natural chemistry. They're believable as old pals, and I could buy her as a love interest for him. Their conversations throughout the episode was nice and helped to give a good insight into Billy's past. At least she was honest with him towards the end of the episode about him having an adult son.

I'm really interested in seeing where they go with Billy and Julie in the future.

Those were great scenes between Carol and Conner as well. Carol can be a nasty old cow, but this is how she deals with everything, by taking it out on other people. She's a broken woman and each day she's crumbling to pieces little by little.

I had to laugh at how everyone hated Kim's food and how Bianca had to lie to her over the phone about how they all loved it.

I thought it was a great character-based episode for the characters featured in it, especially Billy Mitchell.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner