EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

There were so many small moments that I loved in this episode. The silence as everyone waited for Carol to come out of the living room, when Alfie came to the door to give back the keys, the nervous laughter from Lauren (which could have been ruined easily, and I'm happily surprised that it worked) and even Bianca catching Carol in her arms as the undertakers put Billy in their van. Just so much great stuff with the BEST character on the show as the lead. Honestly, if this show was just the Butcher's I'd probably love it even more. And this is only Monday, having a cold will not help with the amount of tissues I'll be going through this week.

Vote Coulson for what?

Edited by Amello

• Members

Y&RWT already said so much I agree with, but I finally got to watch the episode. I really appreciated how this episode was done. I've heard some fans say this was different than the usual Eastenders but I think it's actually Eastenders at its best -- the cold realism. I think Julia Smith and Tony Holland would have been proud of this episode. I think Eastenders is at its finest when you feel like you are watching real people and not when it sees itself as being Dynasty with a pub.

That scene of Carol walking back home was rough to watch, especially when she saw the little girl and the mother. Probably the parts that got me most were when Carol kept asking the doctor, "What do I do now?" And the gasp she made when she pulled back the blanket :( And Patsy Palmer, she was just about perfect throughout the episode. I don't envy Patsy playing scenes like this when she's pregnant. One of the many good things about Carol's return is that Bianca is allowed to go back to being the scared girl, not the shouty mother.

That scene where they were waiting and waiting for the undertakers to finish up, and then when Bianca burst into tears...it was just so unbearable.

I know that this was the same year as Bradley's death but I'm glad they did this now because we don't know how much longer Lindsey will be on the show and we know that Patsy is leaving soon for maternity break. And this really was about the two of them.

This story seems like a goodbye to the old Jacksons and the dreams of what they could have been. I wish Robbie could be there too, but I'm glad to have most of the group still present.

That last scene was just...Carol is so broken that she was trying her best to cry, struggling even for that.

• Members

It's funny that I tend not to associate Robbie and Sonia with the Jackson clan as much as I do with Bianca and Billie. I guess because of the time those characters spent on the show when all the other Jackson's were gone. I sometimes forget that Robbie and Sonia are even Carol's children since I associate them more with Jim and the Branning side of Carol's family than with Carol and Alan. Sonia in particular I associate most with Jim and the Fowler's.

I always wondered why Sonia never reached out or thought about her Carol when she was going through a lot traumatic events in her life throughout most of the 00's. Out of all of Carol's relationships with her children, the one with Sonia is the least developed, and she's the kid that lasted the longest (unfortunately) on the show.

I don't think Robbie and Sonia are needed for this story, but if the show ever decides to kill Jim, and I guess they eventually will with John Bardon's health, their absence would be too noticeable.

• Members

I associate Robbie with the Jacksons mostly because of the story where he was accused of raping Sarah Hills. I loved that scene where Bianca went after the Hills father, whatever his name was, Travis off Blake's 7, in the market after he beat Robbie up.

Sonia didn't really have anything to do when Bianca and Carol were around so I forget about her sometimes. That and Natalie couldn't have returned during filming.

I don't think they desperately needed Robbie but I would have liked to have seen him.

Edited by CarlD2