Hollyoaks: Discussion Thread

• Members

That's like saying David Gest is 25. Come on.

What the hell is this casting, between this and Riley. I haven't seen casting like this since 90210.

He looks so much like Niall, a duller version. I wonder if that will be mentioned. I miss Niall.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Add in OB and Barnesy and I'm there with you. :lol:

I'm trying to get through the week's episodes; I'm on Wednesday now. I guess it's easier to tie stories up than to start them up but it's kind of sad that most of my interest is going to characters who are gone and who aren't at their best days, like Zak and Kris, and not on these new, exciting hires.

Is it me or are the Costellos not believable as a family? They are just thrown together and I am having an increasingly difficult time believing Heidi as any type of a mother. Nor do I buy Jem as a sibling or Riley as an older sibling to the twins. Speaking of the twins, I don't know the ages of the actors, but the one who plays Jasmine looks a lot older than Seth. Of them all Jasmine is probably the most talented, in terms of acting, and her story is the most interesting, but the family just drags. I have NO idea why they cast this "actor" as Seth. He has one of those flat, weird voices which makes everything sound like a cross between Eeyore and Charlie in the Box from Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. And they keep trying to give him cheeky, cute dialogue, which makes it even worse. Why didn't they cast this role with the guy who plays the "alien," or the cancer patient Steph met?

The stuff with the funeral was a bit clunky and went on too long, although Nicole Barber Lane did a good job. I laughed when she said she was "lost at sea," not realizing the woman she was speaking about had been lost at sea. I'm happy they are still using her, she can play anything and she has such a magnetism about her.

As for Bart, it's very early, but he seems dull to me, and has another one of those flat voices. He also seems much too thin, and his head is bigger than his body. He looks like a marionette from a 50s children's show. And 15? Really??

Carley is still giving wonderful performances in the cancer story.

Kent Riley is doing such a great job in Zak's last episodes. I still have no idea why he was let go. Just look at his work compared to the guy who plays Des, who is going out with a whimper. When Riley has been given the opportunity over the years he has always stepped up to the plate. Yet he's fired?

I've never been a big big fan of Kris but ironically I think this last story he had, about being able to conform so easily and being conflicted about that, was one of his best, potentially. And I will miss his friendship with Nancy. Jessica Fox is still giving her all and I enjoyed Nancy teasing Kris. That whole episode about how his day kept getting worse and worse was entertaining.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Barnesy? Who? Preferably, I'd love to add Darren/Rhys/Cindy/Nancy.

Anyway, like I posted earlier, the Costello is just not working at all. Heidi is the only likable one so far, but yes, I don't buy her as a mother. They should have made her a step-mother who genuinely cared about them. That, I could buy.

Seth is cute, but very bland. Jasmine is too hard for my tastes. She just comes off like she's complaining. I don't feel her pain yet.

Des was horrible this week. They guy sounds like he has a cold. Good riddance.

Bart, I don't really have an opinion on yet.

• Members

Barnesy is Mike.

First days aren't fair to go on but Bart had all these cute little attempts to show what a little rogue he was and the actor just had that DEAD VOICE throughout each scene. The scene where he listed his crimes was excruciating.

The stuff with Steph and the cancer patient was really good. I wish they could keep him around.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Finished the week's episodes.

The climax to the racism story was blah. I think they spent too many days over the week treading water. Probably the high point was the scene between Zak and Tariq on Tuesday's show, as well as Claire Cooper's performance, as she was brilliant, she genuinely made you question whether Jacqui was going to give Des another chance. They were probably right in leaving Ravi as an afterthought in the story. Stephen Uppal tends to not do well when he has to speak, as he proved in that confrontation with Des.

So I guess Gaz is just going to be left in prison...

I can't complain about the rushed exit for Zak/Jake/Kris because I wasn't bothered by a rushed exit on Eastenders Thursday, but I will say that Jake acting like this was his one chance for London was bizarre, since his sister Debbie lives in London. And I don't understand why a man who tried to kill a baby would be able to work with children, even if he has turned over a new leaf. I think a character of 8 years deserved a better exit, and don't get me started on that awful "Time of Your Life" song that is so overplayed on these occasions. At least he looked good in his tight white tee shirt.

I don't understand why Nancy wasn't in the episode, given her friendship with Kris and her history with Jake. I don't know why Myra wasn't in the episode when Jacqui exposed Des. Or why Carmel has no idea that Evissa is going up for sale.

Too many scenes of Michaela wailing and sobbing -- this actress was not suited for that. No wonder she got tired of the story. I hope when she leaves they will say she left to be with Zak.

Was anyone confused as to why they kept having reaction shots of Cheryl during the racism reveal? What the hell did it have to do with her? I actually liked her last scenes with Kris, when she gave him the money. So that's a nice word for her. Her brother, so far he seems dull, and the actor makes those weird faces like a junkyard dog. He reminds me of Paddy Maguire from Shameless. Can we have a Shameless/Hollyoaks crossover??

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

I'll probably check back in for the build up the the stunt Marquess promised that's coming in the fall. If the aftermath of that sucks, I know I won't watch again unless I hear a good buzz about the show or the spoilers look promising.

I'll do the same with Corrie and the upcoming tram crash in December. But unlike Hollyoaks, at least Corrie can still feel like its old self a lot of the time, even if the stories aren't all that great and I find it easier to get through most of the time.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner