Y&R: Week of May 26, 2008

• Members

People are going to kill me for saying this, but do I care? No. I loved the scene (notice I didn't italicize "loved" :D), but it could've been written much, much better and acted much, much better by both of these divas. B) This is just their slow mode, not full speed.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I thought today's episode was pretty good. I was wondering if anyone else noticed a spark with Devon and Chloe. Add me to the list that thinks these two would make a good pair.

TS/Jeffrey was good today. I loved that Gloria got the beanbag chair. Did anyone else feel sorry for her at the end of today's show? The Paul/David rivalry has plenty of spark as well.

Overall, I was entertained for the most part.

• Members

Catching up with this week right now: Yay, they’re finally milking their revisionist history to levels LML totally failed to achieve. Jill angrily recalling the past with Cane. Jess Walton was superb.

I hate Danny Smarmolotti but absolutely love how they make Graz’ Y&R off-time a compelling mini-story with Amber.

Can’t wait to see rest of this week which seems to be stellar Jill-wise. THis always makes great Y&R - at least for me.

• Members

GloHo is a first class schemer who lives in her own world. How can anybody feel sorry for her. What I would like to see ( if Gloria is going to stick around) is a back story that explains why she is the way she is. She must have had SOME past life. It's time to bring on Michael's grandmother. Let me see---either Marion Ross or Cloris Leachman could fill the role.

Jeffery was good today-- and let's not forget that he let her keep the lava lamp and portrait ( is he not generous). He and GloHo are the same only Jeff is a little sleazier. The two of them deserve each other.

• Members

I definitely don't want a "pity Gloria" backstory. She's not Stephanie or Jill Foster. She's a short term character that outlived her usefulness years ago. She needs to be written out. The Abbott matriarch is around and so are Mamie, Jill, Lillie Belle and Dina. There is no reason they HAVE to keep Gloria around. Her story is over. If they like the bitchy older female character, there are plenty they can tell fresh stories with which revamping other families.

ETA:

I forgot about Lauren's mother JoAnna! She could make a colorful addition to Restless Style if they ever decided to make it interesting and not just an excuse to keep Jack, Nick, Sharon and Phyllis together.

• Members

Wouldn't a return of Mamie to the Abbott mansion be excellent (and she can bring Olivia and Dru back with her!)? Veronica Redd and Jess Walton had amazing chemistry (catfight wise) during the 1990s...Marla Adams' Dina would be a great addition as well. The Abbotts need to be reinvigorated...Billy, Ashley, even Tracey...there is so much material with the Abbotts. The Fisher/Baldwin's are over.

And Chris B you're so right about Gloria: a short term character who outlived her usefulness years ago!

• Members

Total agreement. Chris B., I usually agree with you...but why would you list folks like Lilly Belle as suitable replacements? That seems almost random compared to Gloria (although i agree that it would add strength to the decimated Winters clan...but that's another issue).

The truth is shows don't always have to rely on "core" families. They can build new cores (as Bill Bell did in the early 80s with the Abbotts, Williams, and Newmans). The Fisher-Baldwins (+ Fenmores) are a new core family, and every one of them is outstandingly acted and lovingly scripted. Yes, Chapman does the overacting thing...but with Gloria that is IN CHARACTER, and it plays beautifully.

The problem that has been made is over-play (of Gloria), and the scripting of a character who never experiences consequences (a no-no in the moralistic world of daytime). It is clear that the current regime is taking care of that...so Gloria will pay. Rumors suggest that front burner status might then shift to Michael...and that will help us "rest" from Gloria for a while.

For me, the story took two major wrong turns (not counting the error of killing John Abbott). First, Gloria and the face cream. WHAT WERE THE WRITERS THINKING???? Second, Gloria and the Bardwells. That cheapened her (we could believe she loved John...but not if she was rushing to marry anything with money after that). The "love" for Jeff is even more confusing SINCE THE CHARACTER IS THE VILEST, NASTIEST MOST ODIOUS PIG EVER ON THE SHOW. Worse that David Chow. Far worse that David Kimball...because Jeffrey trades in emotional violence and humiliation.

The Fisher-Baldwin-Fenmores can and should be the new leading family of Genoa City. Nothing has invigorated the show more than that clan. Gloria as matriarch works perfectly. Chapman can outvamp Seaforth Hayes any day (you mentioned Joanna...who was basically always a bust...enough that Bill Bell didn't know what to do with her).

You know, there is so much Fisher-Baldwin hate on the internet (especially for Gloria), and it doesn't even seem to be "love to hate". And that confuses me. Because I can't think of a better written or acted family on daytime. They are the new Quartermaines. What am I missing? I sincerely want to know.

• Members

I mean, she does occasionally over act, doesn't she, and sometimes those eyes just irritate me tremendously, but the problem is not when you overact, the problem is when you underact and have your show filled with amateurish, great-looking "actors"...

So, I'd rather see her stay then have yet another bland newbie.

Archived