How to Fix Y&R

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Alvin, Alvin, Alvin... come on now. How long have we been doing this?

The bigwigs at CBS are no different from the boneheads at ABC... or NBC for that matter, whatever is left of their Team O'Bigwigs besides Bruce Evans.

You should know better... *tsking and shaking my head, embarrassed for you*

;)

• Members

:lol:

I guess the good thing is CBS doesn't own any of their soaps, unlike ABC, and they aren't quick to cancel like NBC.

However, Y&R has a track record of making changes fairly fast, when compared to most other soaps. When ratings were sinking for Alden, they promoted Smith, when ratings were sinking for Smith they brought in Latham fairly fast.

I can only hope the trend continues. ;)

Of course, when they make these changes, it ends up being far worse than what was there before. <_<

• Members

That's the big misconception about CBS...they really don't have any power over their shows aside from how much they pay production companies. P&G control ATWT and GL, the Bells control B&B and Sony and the Bells control Y&R.

I think Sony is the major force in 'making changes' at Y&R. It obviously wasn't the Bells who fired Smith and demoted Alden (as both of them have washed up at Bell exclusive B&B)...that's a Sony move. Regardless, Sony cannot be in any way happy with how things have gone. They've made every wrong move.

Once they FIRE THE WHOLE BEHIND THE SCENES CREW they better launch a huge, big money advertising campaign because it's going to take a lot to lure back in the Y&R viewers who have left!

• Members

I think the Bells are very active in Y&R at the moment, or else Maria wouldn't be there. The thing is, the Bell family lost whatever golden touch they had when Bill died. Both of his sons have proven what hacks they are in their respective positions. I can't group Lauralee in with them, as she's not running the business like Bill jr., or running a show like Bradley.

Bill Bell jr has to come to his senses and prove us wrong. If I remember correctly, Bill Bell jr was doing nothing but sining Latham's praises when she was made EP at the show.

They better act fast, and I think I'll be one of the many tuning off the show and perhaps never tuning back in again....

• Members

I agree with you, the Bells definitely gained some sort of power with the LML fiasco. I don't think though Bill Jr singing LML's praises means that he actually thought that...it's a corporate thing, not biting the hand that feeds you. It's bullsh*t but it's how it is.

Brad I don't consider a hack...he's sloppy...but I think he really loves that show and is good to the cast. Bill Jr...now he's a hack. It's obvious that he thought his wife was somehow superior to everyone else who trained under his father, which is just pathetic. MAB hadn't written for daytime in nearly 20 years, it's just ludicrous to expect her to jump right into the HW position. If she wanted to write so damn much she should have been lower on the totem pole.

And you said it, they better act reallllllly fast. Like tomorrow. You're not the only one whose considering dropping the show entirely...I never thought I'd come to that point, but here I am.

• Members

You know what really pisses me off? They had a ton of people who trained under Bell like Smith, Birn, Jones, and Houghton, yet they refused to being any of them back. They also refused to bring Shaughnessy as EP. Maria should've never been HW after the strike, as she never had any significant soap writing experience and Griffith should've never been kept on as EP, as he's an amateur at that position as well. That's Y&R's problem right now, they have two HIGHLY UNQUALIFIED people running the show, and it reflects how bad everything is right now.

Bill Bell jr needs to fire his wife and Griffith and bring back some of the members of the old team. I hope he can give us that much, after the disastrous past 3 years the show has had.

• Members

Can I get an AMEN!

It is ridiculous. I think Sony and the Bells were just too cheap to fire everyone and pay off their contracts. Call me Ken Corday but this is one instance where sucking it up and paying off contracts would have been the right thing to do. MAB and JG are an unmitigated disaster. Y&R is on very dangerous ground.

• Administrator

Exactly! Josh and Maria very inexperienced in their positions and it doesn't make any sense for any of them to EP and sole HW. Josh's been WRITING soaps for the past 20 years and then all of a sudden he's an EP? Huh?? Then let's hire someone who hasn't written for a soap in 15-17 years, and who has no experience in plotting daytime dramas! Huh?? Well, a 3.6 HH and a 3.3 daily rating is what you get!

Those old school Y&R people need to come back. It's the only way to save this show.

• Members

*Rehire Jack Smith to be MAB's co-head writer

*Write out Adrian and Sabrina

*Recast Heather (Jennifer Finnigan would be ideal)

*Some of the talented actors who are so shamefully backburnered a storyline (ie. Doug Davidson, Jess Walton, CLB, Bryton, Tammin Sursok)

• Members

Anyone else notice how incredibly cosmopolitan this show has gotten first under Latham and now Griffith and Maria Bell? What's with the museum-loving, faux-French speaking, and obsession with fashion? Genoa City is a freakin' middle-sized city that has a small town feel to it. They need to make this show feel like a real community again.

Does anyone wonder if people from the old Bell team want to return? It could be that no one wants to work for this show anyone because of some conflict with higher-ups...

• Members

So I wasn't the only one who noticed this crap! I thought I was imagining things...but LML and MAB have tried to make Genoa City into New York, it's disgusting. Y&R was never about 'high art' it was about business in a midwestern town and the home lives of the executives.

That's a good question about the old Bell team wanting to return. I don't know. I have to wonder if Kay Alden or Jack Smith would ever leave the relative safety of B&B to go back to Sony controlled Y&R. Instinctively, I think Alden would return if she was given carte blanche by the higher ups to do things Her Way which is what the show needs: a strong vision. I don't think Sony is prepared to do that, they should be, but I don't think they are.

And Sylph, you called it....it's very tacky.

Archived