How to Fix Y&R

• Members

I didn't expect you'd take it in that direction :-). My mistake :-).

But it is interesting...it sounds completely true. I didn't think Bill Bell would ever come up with this.

This is a clear case of "not understanding your audience".

Note that the emotion that caused people to turn off their televisions ("disgust") is what (I believe) is causing people to tune out from Victor and Sabrina. The same kind of precipitous drop. This time, though, I don't think Alden gets any of the blame....

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Huh? So in the end bigotry wins out over brilliance? So, I guess we should just do away with interracial couples, same-sex relations, and diversifying our soaps, for the ones who would rather choose to tune out, than watch reality.

• Members

I didn't twist your post at all. Like you took a different direction with Mark's post, I decided to do the same with yours. Your calling her story a failure, when in reality it wasn't, because it was never given the opportunity to truly be told.

• Members

I'm neutral on the Kay Alden question :-).

I will say what I found nice was that we were stumbling around for the 'truth' of the Y&R dalliance with lesbianism in the 1970s...and Sara Bibel followed up with the facts! I'm not proposing that there is an association...but I just love it when synergies like that rain down! As Bibel smartly notes, this is an old story with resonance for what we are seeing today. Who could blame P&G and ABC for going slowly with their GLBT stories when the original one had SUCH a chilling effect?

We now return to our regular board war :-).

• Members

I did.

And I was young enough not to know exactly what was going on.

But I remember my mothers was blanching with discomfort. She knew EXACTLY what was going on...and she didn't like it.

But, mom didn't like it when Bianca turned lesbian on AMC, or when Scotty and Kevin got married on Brothers and Sisters. So, mom is not my barometer of what I want to see :-).

Archived