How to Fix Y&R

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It'd also be nice if they employed actual storylines instead of wall-to-wall filler. David's gambling addiction (and how it's affecting his marriage to Nikki) is a start, but (and I'm speaking just for myself here) watching Gloria screw up job after job while Jeffrey whimpers and moans over her like an ill pup? And Victor and Sabrina plan every single detail of a wedding no one cares about while cooing sweet little French nothings (and I do mean nothings) in each other's ears? And Jack handling every "crisis" that crops up at Restless Style with just one simple phone call? None of that is story.

• Members

They show needs to find the right HW then bring back John Conboy as EP. Yes, I said it! His biggest failure at GL was that it wasn't a glamorous soap and he had a bad HW (which I understand was his fault). He knows Y&R and he knows how to produce a soap that is visually stunning. If he can be backed up by good writing, I could see Y&R being must see TV and dominating daytime. Jill Farren Phelps is just too scary and I can't see her bringing any positive change to the show. She'd just piss people off, implement the same production techniques she takes to every soap and fire all the vets.

• Members

QUOTE (Chris B @ Jun 18 2008, 02:43 PM)
They show needs to find the right HW then bring back John Conboy as EP. Yes, I said it! His biggest failure at GL was that it wasn't a glamorous soap and he had a bad HW (which I understand was his fault). He knows Y&R and he knows how to produce a soap that is visually stunning.

Santa Barbara was the most glamorous soap on the air, and Conboy RUINED that show. Patrick Mulcahey even talked about what a dumb ass Conboy was and how his vision was incompotent. Also, Santa Barbara didn't change HW's when Conboy came on, yet the show suffered because of his influences. Also, you do know that Bill Bell and John Conboy HATED one another, right?

She's another one who does well with a strong HW, IMO. Look at her years at Santa Barbara and her years at GL with Nancy Curlee as HW. With the budget Y&R has for production, I can see her rocking the production values. She's very good with that, and I can see her revamping the crappy background music we have now. She wouldn't put up with the college rock crap. Vets are very essential to Y&R and the show is #1 in the 18-49 demo, I don't think she'd want to fire that many vets.

• Members

I know this is yet another unpopular opinion... But this show needs someone new, someone that hasn't worked in soaps.

Jill the Tyrant is just going to destroy it even further, I'm sure she can't wait to get her hands on Y&R.

• Members

Posted the exact same thing on a previous page...

So I guess I'll have to do Brad justice and make him my avatar then. :P Will wait till B&B gets better though - right now I'm too ashamed/pissed. :lol:<_<

As I totally agree with Sylph on writing and who should write Y&R I second that the show either needs Shaughnessy back or someone new as producer. I'd go primetime with a clear mandate that the exec only caters for casting/look of the show and doesn't mess with the writing...

• Members

As much as it pains me to say, the EP needs to in some way control the writing. That does not mean he should order re-writes, force writers to write his storylines etc. It just means he or she needs to point to stories that aren't working, to state a second opinion, point to inconsistencies, that sort of thing.

• Members

It also helps to have a strong EP who doesn't conform in the face of network pressure, something Y&R had for years. Josh Griffith is a clear amateur in his current position and it reflects on the overall quality of the show.

Writer's and EP's need to work together to present a united front and cohesive show, plain and simple...

• Members

okay i posted this a few weeks back but il post it again with some new thought's

I was thinking how to fix the Y&R as well so here are my idea's

Fire all of LML's pals they have no right to be at the Y&R along with Hogan Sheffard he hasen't started yet ad already I don't like him.

Bring back Kay Alden to be Maria Arena Bell's Co-Head Writer's.

David Shaughnessy should be the EP I liked his tenure as the EP thought he did a good job he should of been the one to succeed Ed Scott.

fire the following character's

Cane ( is proven to be a fraud and is not Jill's son her real son Billy returns home)

David Chow (owes money to mob and is killed off)

Gloria ( Jack finds out about the face cream tampering and makes her leave town)

Jeff (he leaves with Gloria)

Adrian (gets a new teaching job in L.A and joins the cast of the B&B)

Amber (gets a music contract and returns to L.A joins the B&B cast, becomes a new rival for Brook)

Lily (moves to Paris to continue her modeling career)

Devon (goes with Lily)

Chloe (goes with Lily)

Colleen (Tammin Sursok's version of Colleen) (joins the cast of Nick toons)

Jana (goes to jail for involvement in art theft)

Sabrina (joins Jana as the two are involved in art theft, take her mom with her)

Karen (who cares)

then bring back

Ashley

Abby

Billy

Mackenzie

Bobby

Adrianne Leon's Colleen

Kyle

I have a radicall Idea how to fix the shows core problem and that is that the show no longer has a second family and it is always about the Newmans all the time.

Since the show has introducing a fashion magazine I think it is the right time for a new family dynasty to be born on the show the Forrester's at the same time rejuvinate a staple family the Abbotts.

The Forrester's relocation to Genoa City would not come at a better time. the Forrester's already have a connection to meny character's on the Y&R Eric was married to Lauren as well as taking out add space in Restless Style. The only character's I would like to see move to Genoa City are Eric, Stephanie, Thorn, Felisha, Ashley, Taylor, Thomas and Phoebe.

John McCook (Eric Forrester) and Susan Flannery (Stephanie Forrester) deserve a run on the #1 rated soap before they retire. I thin the time is right for them to join the cast of the Y&R.

Jack and Ashley should get Jabot back and merge the company with Forrester Creations to create a new company called Forrester Jabot Creations with both family's running the new company.

It would be Forrester Jabot Creations vs Newman Chancellor Enterprise with a reunion of the Newman kids and Victor (except for Nikki and Victor) going against the Forrester's and Abbotts.

Merge Newman with Chancellor

Jack would stab Nick in the back by selling half of Restless Style to the Forrester's in order for Jack to get Jabot back

Nick,Phyliss and Victoria would return to Newman to run NVP the magazine created to compete with Restless Style.

Age Kyle the same way they did with Adam the two Adam and Kyle would become rivals with both Victor and Jack mentoring them and would continue the Newman - Abbott rivalry.

Il bet a Victor and Taylor pairing would be a lot more interesting then Victor and (makes me want to screen if i hear one more word of French) Sabrina

a Taylor and Victor relationship could come out of the Forrester's relocation to Genoa City.

the following couple pairing I would like to see

Victor - Taylor

Nikki - Bobby

Jill - Eric - Stephanie triangle (Jill and Stephanie become new rivals)

Nick - Phyliss

Jack - Sharon

J.T - Victoria

Thorn - Ashley

Michael - Lauren

Brad - Felisha

Billy - Heather - Adam Triangle

Kevin - Mackenzie - Thomas Forrester Triangle

Daniel - Colleen

Kyle - Phoebe

the next Generation of the Y&R would consist of

Billy

Adam

Kevin

Daniel

Thomas

Kyle

Mackenzie

Colleen

Phoebe

Reana

Nate Winters

bring back Nate as a troubled youth who is sent to live with Neil who tryes to help turn Nate's life around. they could also use the youth rec center that Victor built.

anyways those are my idea's there are lots of potential with the Forrester's joining the Y&R

• Members

I disagree with most of these. Goddard, Irizarry, Chapman, Frantz, Khalil, Bryton, Sursok and O'Brien are some of Y&R's best actors.

Jeff, Adrian, Chloe and Sabrina, however, NEED TO GO.

Karen, I can take or leave.

They really need to get Victoria Rowell and David Tom back too. Also, they should recast Malcolm (since Shemar Moore seems to think he's too good for Y&R now).

Archived