How to Fix Y&R

• Members

I think it's safe to say that most of us would agree that Y&R is a hot mess and has been for quite some time...

If TPTB are reading this board, perhaps perhaps, why don't we, the fans who have loved this show for years, give a bit of unsolicited advice...it wouldn't be the first time!

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quit shoving boring new characters down our throats and start writing for the more interesting characters the audience is actually interested in. For some reason these soaps think they will get new viewers when they should try really hard to hang on to the ones they already have.

• Members

I'm just waiting for you, DaytimeFan, to write the suggestions down 'cause you have the power, i. e. what you write comes to life. You campaigned against Latham and soon afterwards she was fired. :D

• Members

That's the main thing, eh? I basically agree.

Then I look at OLTL. Most of the driving story is from "young vets"...folks who have been there 5-10 years. But it is great now. I think part of this is the casting...I can't think of a bad apple right now.

We really need to analyze what OLTL is doing, analyze whether it can sustain, and see if the formula translates.

I note Carlivati is still one of the few with breakdown writers, which may be giving him more mental energy to write big stories. That's a lesson for Y&R to keep: 18 is too many, but don't fire the breakdowns.

• Members

Research the characters well, strengths/weaknesses, history etc.

Create a situation when they want something they cannot have.

Develop a storyline that shows how the character grows from this obstacle or falls from it.

Now, I've been racking my brain for the last ten minutes trying to think of something a character has craved and an obstacle blocking them. Alas, I come up with nothing, which is never a good thing in ANY drama.

Whenever I think of a good storyline, I think of solid character, solid want, solid obstacle. There's no drama without these elements. That's why Y&R isn't working. (Who's stopping Sabrina/ Victor? Nikki/David? What does Victoria want but cannot have? What has stopped Lily from becoming a successful model? What has prevented the Restless Style magazine from becoming a huge success? NOTHING!!) Everyone's coasting like it's the end of the movie and every thing's resolved.

That's why OLTL is making a killing right now. (Adriana/Rex obstacle: Gigi/Shane. Natalie/Jared obstacle: Buchanan lie. Starr/Cole obstacle: Todd. Todd/everyone else obstacle: Todd lol)

• Members

Here goes...Behind the Scenes First

1-Fire LML's primetime pals, they had no business at Y&R in the first place. When they returned after the strike the scripts began to wreak to high heaven. I don't mind Jeff Gottesfeld and Cherie Bennett as AHW...but for God's sake EVERYONE ELSE has GOT TO GO!

2-Fire Josh Griffith. Weak EP, No Balls, No Vision. HE HAS TO GO!

3-Either Demote or Fire Maria Arena Bell. Weak HW, No Balls, No Long Term Vision, Doesn't Understand How To Structure A Soap Opera.

4-Hire A Few Of The Old Crew. It sure as hell shouldn't be Jack Smith...but a few of the old writers would reinvigorate the show. Perhaps Kay Alden as a creative consultant or consulting producer. Sally Sussman Morina might make a strong HW. It's time to cut the fat on the writing team and up the creative muscle.

5-Hire A New EP. David Shaughnessy comes to mind. Why not Ron Weaver or Cynthia J Popp.

And now, Onscreen

1-Fire Eyall Podell, Bryton McClure, Tammin Sursok (if she isn't already), Daniel Goddard (who is a great talent but plays one of the most ill conceived characters ever, he's run his course, it's time to go), Nia Peebles (if she isn't already), Greg Rikaart, Emily O'Brien, Vail Bloom, Raya Meddine, Amelia Heinle, Christel Khalil, Vincent Irrizarry and Judith Chapman (who it seems will never be used properly as a B storyline bitch, she ain't an A storyline heroine). Not one of them does a thing for Y&R (except Goddard as Man Candy and that's only going to last for so long, he'll hit 40 and fall apart)

2-Recast Victoria and Heather with actresses who have some bite

3-Give Jess Walton an A storyline

4-Hook Don Diamont up with somene in a solid B storyline

5-Put Laura Stone on contract

Essentially, most of Y&R's problems are a result of behind the scenes bullsh*t. All but two of the actors I've listed who need to be fired were hired under LML's reign. While I don't like to see anyone lose their job it is clear that LML made bad decisions throughout her run from casting to writing to sets (no fireplaces or bottled water) to jewelry (no blood diamonds you know). Y&R needs to be cleaned up and revitalized. Y&R needs a creative purge.

• Members

I could definitely go with what you say. EXCEPT Daniel Goddard. IMO, he was a breath of fresh air when he came on. Replace his name on the hit-lit with Adrienne Frantz! :lol: And stick Cane with Chloe. Liz Hendricksen needs an expanded role, IMO.

I would also hate to see Greg Rikaart go as he really is a talent. Plus I am holding out hope that Adrianne Leon returns as Colleen. Their hate chemistry could drive story over the years. We always see women hating on each other, so how about enemies who are male and female?

I also do not get the Laura Stone love but I've only seen her in, like, 3 shos thus far. She's good, but I still need more time to decide if she's a keeper. Raya Meddine, on the other hand? Has been growing on me. Only because I'm ready for her to bring her bitchface. It's got to be there somewhere!

And I just wanted to make a general point. Bill Bell wasn't perfect (stilted dialogue sometimes) but he was damn close. I want my soap opera back again, with the shaded lighting, gorgeous incidental music, mini cliffhangers at the halfway point of the show and full-on cliffhangers on the Friday at least.

This soap is about people's public and private faces, in the boardroom and the bedroom. There should be momentum. And, best of all, there should be Jess Walton, Melody Thomas Scott and Jeanne Cooper in a ton of scenes together. When I think of Y&R -- the real Y&R -- it is these three women (plus Victor, Jack, Ashley and Dru) who come to mind.

• Members

We won't get to decide if Laura Stone is worth the trouble since her run on the show ended. She did her short part and left. Why? I have no idea. But they should have kept her longer. They did Skye in the exactly same way they did Kyon (Jeff's ex).

• Members

I agree with everything you said except the firing of Greg Rikaart (who I adore). I think he adds something good to the show when utilized properly. I think a Kevin/Colleen pairing (only with AL) could work.

• Members

Here is my solution to Gloria poisons the cream.

1. Jack finds out.

2. In Criminal court Michael gets Gloria off the murder charge on a technicality.

3. Jack/Ashley/Abby sue her in Civil court for damages, and take her 500 million away - Jack tells Gloria if she settles without a fight, he won't pursue charges against Michael, Kevin and Lauren. Abby gets huge trust fund to be used later when SORAsized. Jack uses the rest to buy back Jabot from Katherine, thus pissing off Jill and Nikki.

4. Gloria gives all her money away to save her family. REAL redemption for her. Michael, Kevin & Lauren don't go to jail as accessories. Michael doesn't get disbarred.

• Members

People are already calling for Josh and Maria to be fired? Aren't Y&R just to getting to the shows where Josh is just the EP and Maria is the HW? Toups did say the eppy's with the new separation of powers would start airing in May didn't he?

Archived