Ryan's Hope Discussion Thread

• Members

Years ago I put together some animated YouTube videos imagining what it would be like if Ryan's Hope was subject to the ABC soap regime of the late 2000s. Believe it or not, that was one of the ideas I thought they'd force on the show!

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I remember watching these - those Xtra Normal videos were a craze at the time and the only thing you could do about Frons grinding ABC Daytime into the dust was laugh. Yours are great time capsules but also genuinely funny (like the Kathleen Tolan bit).

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Isn't it an odd coincidence that Kim, Jill, Bess, and Maggie all left Riverside for Australia? 

I realize that Jill and Maggie went there because of Bess.  But, I was reading the 1983 synopsis, and it struck me has a weird choice that Kim goes to film a movie in Australia.  It was three years before Crocodile Dundee and the Aussie ascendancy in Hollywood.  And, I think Kim's and Jill's exits were penned by separate writers. 

When thinking of places where people emigrate from New York, one rarely thinks of Sydney.  So, it really stood out like a sore thumb.

• Members

I think Jill was born in Australia. The original on-air backstory was that Ed served in the military and I believe was stationed in Australia where Jill belonged to a one of Ed's late service member pals. Bess choosing to go there may have been because she had ties to Australia, which, in turn, was the reason that Jill and Maggie joined her there. 

Kim going to Australia was probably because you wanted to send someone somewhere where they wouldn't be just a quick flight to return. Kim was written out by Labine right? Labine seemed done with Kimberly post-1981 strike. 

• Members

Yes, this was post strike, but Kimberly left for Australia in 1983 after she made a splashy comeback with Pat saving baby Arly on the plane ride to NYC.  It seemed like a setup for a Pat/Kim/Amanda triangle, but there was never a romantic interaction between Pat and Kimberly.  She's there for the ascendancy of the Kirklands (whose dominance as noted in the oral history was vastly overstated).  And then she's shipped off as soon Charlotte Greer appears. Which must mean that it was post Labine (but I never recall writers in accurate historical order).

The bright side is that it lead to the amusing period when Roger was raising Arly in the Three Men and Baby scenario. 

• Members

I guess it depends on how much you like gooey buttercake and fried ravioli, but Frank Ryan lived in St. Louis for years when he returned to Riverside with Charlotte Greer on his tail.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by j swift

• Members

I am only 6-7 episodes in and I'm just starting to like it. I will need to see at least 20-30 till I get that particular taste. So far I adore this character named Nell - the actress is superb.

Please register in order to view this content

It's nice knowing you are also in the beginning, somewhat... and... hearing from you that you love it so much, brings me so much excitement. 

I am also watching Edge of night right now, so these two shows I plan to focus on mostly.