• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Wow. Aside from one or two bad angles, Joan looks the same as she did in her Alexis heyday. So does Stephanie Beacham. She looks exactly the same! Sable is so underrated. I'm glad she gets to come back, for an ad, if nothing else.

I was reading some Digest from around 1985 and they talk about the speculation of whether Joan is Alexis, whether she pretends to be Alexis, et al. They mentioned various stories about her. One was that she had a scene with Catherine Oxenberg where Amanda confronts her and the scene ends with Amanda having the upper hand in their argument. The scene just wasn't working, so Joan suggested that Catherine, at the end of the scene, take a piece of candy and pop it into her mouth. Catherine did, and the scene was great.

• Members

That's awesome. Sometimes it's those little pieces of business that nail a scene. Delia was talking about Dunaway and polanski which got me to Googlin' which led to a Charlie Rose interview where Faye was reminding me so much of Beverlee in the clip with Reva in the GL thread which got me to thinking of Joan and BAM this video is only a few days old. What a treat. Like, Joan is cool on her own, but Joan and Stephanie is just brilliant. Even if it's just a commercial, those are the to die for reunions fans love. They look great. I had been reading about Stephanie's two bouts with skin cancer a few weeks ago, I hadn't heard about that before.

• Members

Alexis and Sable is one of those underrated rivalries. I didn't know about Stephanie's cancer battles either. I'm sorry she doesn't do more in the US - she was on a real run there until the early 90's. I'd love to see her pop up in some sitcoms or dramas.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Joan took such an active role on Dynasty, she edited the scripts if she didn't like the lines, worked with Nolan Miller on the costumes and was described by Irving Moore, one of the show's main directors, as one of the most natural actors he'd seen in terms of movement, I can't find the exact quote but it was something like "You can give her a cigarette, a glass, a celery stick, a hat and a cape and she knows exactly what to do by instinct, she knows how to move."

Pointing out a piece of "business" for Catherine Oxenberg to do highlights that Joan, for all her excesses, is not a selfish actress.

Stephanie was smart enough to realise that her career would inevitably dry up in LA as she hit her mid 40s and 50s. She sold her mortgaged house in Malibu, bought a smaller house for cash in Point Dume, split her time between LA and London and carved out a much higher profile in the UK than she'd ever enjoyed previously. She had a great run with the ITV show Bad Girls and she did an arc on Coronation Street that apparently paid $125,000.

She has been dealing with basal cell carcinoma, arguably the least serious form of skin cancer (really any kind of cancer)...it's a result of spending a lot of time in the sun, she used to own a house in Morocco.

I actually have a mutual friend with Stephanie Beacham, I ran into her in London last year at Selfridges when I was with our mutual friend, it was totally random. Nice lady, naughty laugh.

• Members

Selfridges = my stomping ground. Wish I could run into Stephanie Beacham there.

Still working my way through Season 2 of Dynasty (back in the day, I didn't start watching until Season 4) and still loving James Farentino as Nick Toscanni. Yes, he has a face like genitals in a bag, but that bod! And his character is just the right side of villain, the wrong side of decency.

You know who impresses me now and never did back when I watched as kid? Pamela Sue Martin as Fallon. She is exquisite and so perfect as the character. Heather Locklear and Al Corley are also well cast. But this is Joan Collins' show boat.

I would say that John Forsythe is slightly too old as Blake, I just cannot understand why Krystal and Alexis would be all over that blue-hair rinse.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The best department store in London is Selfridges with Peter Jones right behind (I love the John Lewis partnership stores, how I miss Waitrose!). Much as I like Harrods it's too over the top for everyday shopping. Selfridges is just right. It's owned by the Canadian Weston family, of course.

Here's Ali MacGraw speaking about her time on the show, very complimentary to Joan Collins and just what I've said about how she works with others, less complimentary about John Forsythe and Linda Evans, again what I've said all along:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R12I8De03K8