• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...
  • Members

They're going to hit a bit of a hiccup courtesy of Joan Collins...

In Joan's renegotiated contract of 1985 she had it artfully written into her deal that no actress could ever assume the role of Alexis, regardless of the medium or time frame in the storyline in perpetuity. Joan established ownership over the character. Why she did this remains a bit of a mystery to me, nobody watched for 'Alexis'...they watched for Joan Collins AS Alexis.

Now, either the Shapiros have negotiated a financial deal with Joan or they are about to get a really nasty surprise from her lawyers. There is no movie if there isn't Alexis.

• Members

I've heard fan-wankers toss this idea around for years, I think it *could* be great, especially if it was produced as lavishly as the original and all of the sweeping telefilms of the '80s.

Although a LOT of familiar names would be missing because, well, the characters wouldn't have been born yet, there's room to explore plenty of prequel territory with characters like Alexis' sister Cassie and cousins Sable and Frankie, all of their undoubtedly fabulous parents (their mummies who were sistuhs as Sable reminded us), Jason Colby, Constance Colby, Phillip Colby, Cecil Colby, Ben Carrington, parallel life of the burgeoning international singing sensation Millie Cox come Dominique Deveraux, Garrett Boydsten, Sable's rape, Zach Powers, Roger Grimes, et cetera... The beauty is Dynasty already established that almost every character over 40 had known one another back in the day. Of course it can't all rely on showing us the stuff they've already told us about, there's room for plenty of new secrets and revelations. *Could* be good.

Edited by SFK

• Members

Ha, there isn't enough Vaseline and gauze in the world (love you Joanie! :P ). That's very interesting DaytimeFan, hmm, I wonder how that'll REALLY hold up. I can't imagine Queen Esther swallowed that bitter little pill without some fight, maybe she didn't see the potential in the future beyond the "moment!" that was Dinasty. Perhaps they could pull it off a la Enter Alexis with a shaded figure only referred to and seen from behind. :P As if!

At any rate, I vote for Sian Phillips as Alexis and Caress' mother as her Livia was the inspiration for Alexis. (Perhaps grandmother depending on just how young they're going.) Maybe Glenda Jackson as Sable and Frankie's mom. So many great actresses to choose from... Judi Dench, Samantha Eggar, Shirley Anne Field, Diana Rigg, Vanessa Redgrave...

ETA: Maybe they can finally get Sophia Loren! ;)

Edited by SFK

• Members

What they should do is say that Alexis gave birth to twelve children and they were all kidnapped at birth :lol:

Poor Claudia. The fur isn't supposed to wear YOU.

Notice in the last scene the camera stays on Jack Coleman's behind as much as possible.

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

Joan's contracts were negotiated with Aaron Spelling directly, Esther Shapiro never had any say in regards to contracts...perhaps it was Spelling's way of protecting Joan, Aaron had a funny way of looking out for some of his stars: he bought out Farrah Fawcett and Kate Jackson's share of 'Charlie's Angels' residuals and signed them over to Jaclyn Smith as he felt she'd earned them since she stayed with the series from beginning to end. Interestingly, he did the exact opposite to the 'Dynasty' cast, he bought each and every one of them out of their residuals, which royally screwed all of them. Joan's residual deal was worth $1.5 million back in 1988...a lot of money at the time...but had she retained her residuals, she likely would have made $25 million at this point, considering how well the show has continued to sell.