Dynasty Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The final season definitely used clips from episodes if that's what you're thinking of.

They wanted to keep the black bitch and the white bitch together, Diahann being right before Joan after the guest stars was the equivalent of Stephanie Beacham's "with" credit in season 9. They did however sell Stephanie short on The Colbys by giving her the "and" but putting Ricardo Montalban after her with "special guest star". I guess that's "fair" given his career/history with Aaron Spelling, but if Rock Hudson could go before Joan, Ricardo could go before Stephanie.

• Members

I am sure Zachary Powers wouldn't have lasted very long. He was propably going to marry Sable, end up dead after a while and this way Sable Powers would become Jason's number one powerful enemy. (Does all this ring a bell?)

I sometimes wonder if one of the eighties supersoaps could have survived in the nineties, following the new era's "rules". Would it have been possible for new writers and producers to save Dynasty by turning it into a Melrose PLace type of show?

• Members

They don't do TV credits like that no more! I love it. Dynasty always had the best. LOL at that champagne cork popping on Gordon Thomson's credit. And I don't even mind the Special Guest Star and Special Appearances By. My Stephanie Beacham looks divine tossing that fur coat across the room. Honestly, she, Barbara Stanwyck and Ricardo Montalban was the only good part of The Colbys. Beacham and Montalban popped. I am LOL right now just thinking how awful Maxwell Caulfield was.

True story: Catherine Oxenberg's cousin went to my grade school (this was just after CO had left Dynasty), and one day Catherine came to school to pick her up. Dynasty was HUGE among us kids (I even got the commemorative book for my birthday!) and there was a mini-riot as hundreds of 9, 10 and 11-year olds stampeded the locker room and swarmed around her. I think one of the teachers had to fight us off and bundle her back into her car.

• Members

Ricardo Montalban was a much bigger name than everyone on The Colbys save Stanwyck and Heston. I think by the time Rock Hudson joined the show was already a hit and Joan was now a star, but when she first arrived on Dynasty as a has been who still had a small level of fame she did not get the final credit. James Farentino I guess was deemed the bigger star at the time. No offense to Stephanie Beacham's career, but had anyone ever heard of her before Dynasty?

Edited by quartermainefan

• Members

Perhaps they would have resisted this temptation with all of the clone criticism, but I certainly would have enjoyed seeing at least a little of that. I loved it whenever Sable stuck it to Jason, like in the season one cliffhanger when she showed up at the airport. I wonder in what new and interesting ways they would have made Sable an Alexis-like mogul without totally biting off of the original. Alexis and Sable both showed a love for art, though Sable was a professional Alexis a dilettante. But credit is due to the writers, whoever cast Stephanie, ans Stephanie herself because save for being a fellow scheming Briton, Sable was without question her own woman.

• Members

That does make sense. Was he in every episode of season 2? And I would agree that Farentino was a bigger star than Joan at the time. I loved his clip with the dramatic turn around, jacket over the shoulder. In one of the tabloids years ago there was a great pic of Joan and Farentino's ex, Michele Lee yukking it up at a Dennis Basso show, I wonder if they knew each other pre-Dynasty.

Then she began to pop up everywhere, who (my age) could forget Sister Kate, and of course Troop Beverly Hills. :lol:

• Members

In the second season James Farentino had the ending credit of " and starring as Dr. Nick Toscano." Joan Colling was next to last with "As Alexis Carrington"

Not sure how big of a star Farentino ws because I never heard of him until Dynasty but I had already knew and seen Joan Collins many ties.