Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

There was a scene before Hayley's rape where Ted gave her a horse, and she got upset. Do you know what that was about? Did she have bad memories or horses?

IIRC, Jake wanted to but a horse but couldn't afford it. Hayley was planning on loaning him the money but realized she couldn't when she learned how much a horse cost. In typical soap fashion, Ted thought that Hayley wanted to buy a horse, so he bought one for her. Hayley ended up embarrassed, which she really shouldn't have, and Jake wound up pissed off, which, tough crap.

Kelly was on the run for a while, and then she was arrested in February 1987. Only a few weeks later, she was apparently cleared of everything and able to attend her parents' wedding. What made the charges drop so fast? I wonder why they didn't drag the trial portion out longer.

Gina had the tape that showed that Kelly didn't murder Dylan (ugh, one of the worst characters in SB history). She was using it as a bargaining chip. She ended up in jail for something at the same time that Kelly was there. While she was jailed Hayley was raped. So, Gina agreed to hand over the tape in exchange for somehow getting out of jail so she could be with Hayley.

Watching some of this I just wonder why they split Hayley/Ted up so abruptly. It's almost as if they had hired a new hunk, Rick Edwards, hoping to make viewers love him, and when it didn't work, they punished Stacy Edwards by firing her.

It never made sense to me how they handled Laken's return, Ted and Hayley's breakup, then Ted and Laken's breakup, then Hayley's death. Ted and Hayley were still dealing with the aftermath of her rape and it seemed like they were going to keep them together, although they definitely had her growing closer to Jake. Then Laken blew back into town (in full bitch mode) and kept trying to win back Ted. Both Hayley and Ted strayed a bit (Hayley made out with Jake, Ted made out with Laken), but neither cheated in the traditional sense. But they made Hayley come down hard on Ted (maybe because she was feeling guilty herself?), and she broke up with him. They tried presenting Hayley and Jake as each other's "true love" but the chemistry wasn't there. The Laken & Ted pairing didn't really work because they were so all over the place with Laken's character at that point. Then they had Laken break up with Ted because she had re-fallen for TJ (gawd, the more I type this the more I realize how ridiculous it all was), which ewwww. So, Ted was left alone, they eventually killed off Hayley, and then Laken was written off again.

• Members

Thanks. I have no idea why so many women wanted TJ, with that awful, greasy mullet. Maybe Laken was drawn to him because of her own bad hair?

Thanks again for all your help. Such a waste of potential. Ted and Hayley are so vibrant even watching the scenes years later, and it's exciting watching people learning to act, instead of just phoning it in and having bad habits, like many today. I'm kind of surprised they even kept Ted as long as they did before Todd McKee left, given the long gaps in story for him.

• Members

Yeah, they really did screw it up. I don't watch soaps much anymore, but from what I do catch, it makes me realize how good Todd McKee and Stacy Edwards (and Susan Marie Snyder too) were as young actors in their first acting jobs. I sound like an old fart, but that talent level seems to be missing these days in soaps. I think they kept Todd around since Ted was a Capwell, but more than that it was evident that he had talent, and he apparently was well-liked by the cast and producers.

Edited by Urabamba

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

No, it looked like Michael Donnelly (Frank Runyeon) and Laura Asher (Christopher Norris) and drippy Greg Richards Capwell (Paul Johanssen) and Emily DiNapoli (Julie Condra).

Surprised to see a promo only focusing on the B-couples.

Edited by Wendy

• Members

I am a wee bit biased because Stacy happens to be one of my favorite actresses and still is to this day, but Santa Barbara had an annoying habit of cleaning house every six months and getting rid of about three or four characters at a time. It really hurt the show's continuity after a while.

I always thought Stacy and Todd McKee got along great off screen; Stacy said in an interview with SOD that after a while she got tired of "going to work and bickering with Ted". The writing team at the time didn't know how to write a solid story for Ted/Hayley; that was bad because Gina was Hayley's aunt and that alone would have made for plenty of drama with the Capwells.

Hayley's chemistry with Jake wasn't the same, although Rick Edwards gave it the old college try. As for Stacy, getting fired turned out to be a blessing in disguise because she went on to a solid career in prime time and movies.

Not only that, she shed the ingenue image after a while. If you ever saw her on Law and Order SVU as a child predator, that proved she could be sweet and innocent in one role and really creepy in the next.

• Members

What happened with Ted and the winery? Was that story dropped?

Jake looks like he's going to burp when he's supposed to feel bad over trashing Laken.

SMS has much better hair here, and seems to be settling into the role of Laken. But her ATWT character was one of my favorites so I'm kind of glad it didn't work out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvqhlz2D-B8

• Members

It's so surprising, and nice, to see how funny and goofy Cruz and Eden are here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V0WocDejIo

That Carnation Killer story is so stark, whenever I see clips of it. Much more than a lot of serial killer stories. One thing about it is that I always read the story was done to clear out characters, yet only one or two characters were killed, weren't they?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...