Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Members

Thanks. Was one of Cruz's relatives in the story about Hayley being run over? I thought she might have been the girl who was backhanded by her boyfriend/the killer.

I was also going to ask - if I already have my apologies, I forget these things - what you thought of Courtney Capwell. All I generally know of her or reaction to her was someone writing a letter to Diva Von Dish saying she and her story and relationship were boring and cliched.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
SO true- some of the best asses in the business! In all seriousness, Peter Love had that same natural quality to his acting that A Martinez always had, even though he obviously was never quite as good an actor as A. I absolutely adore Peter though and LOVED them as brothers! Ric Castillo should have stayed on the canvas until the end.

Personally I believe that Ric Castillo has remained too long in the soap. I liked him in the Parisian storyline, but just arrived in Santa Barbara, for me he began to lose interest. I've seen more chemistry between Kelly and Robert. Ricardo was a character heavy, always angry and then suddenly becomes good, and he dispenses good advice to all. Ricardo was really heavy for me. Carmencita Castillo was less annoying. Although she did not leave a mark.

• Members

In fact both Harland and his wife Gretchen Richards left the show between October and November 1990. The Dobsons back on the show in December of that year. So it was not their choice. I must say that 1990 was the worst year of SB (even if the worst year of SB is better than any other soap operas). The producer of that time, John Conboy, was one of the worst disasters ever beat on SB. He decided to redesign the Capwell house, destroying the strong Hispanic impression , and typified by reducing it to any set of any soap opera. He was obsessed with the pole and he wanted that Cruz become a polo player. Fortunately, he abandoned the idea. He gave birth to that awful country club, the history of the talisman. The only good thing was that he decided to return the Lockridges: in 1990 it returned Lionel, Minx, and Laken. For the rest .... best forgotten.

• Members

I think that Courtney has been one of my favorite characters ever. She and her sister Madeleine. Especially Madeleine was killed too early. She was snobbish, spoiled and bad: all carried to extremes, SB-style. Courtney, however, was more pliant, more gentle, but also profoundly restless. Courtney was in the middle of one of the most turbulent puzzles by the times of the murder of Channing Junior. Madeleine's murder.

Madeline Capwell Laurent married to David arrived from Boston in the lovely city of Santa Barbara, California with her sister Courtney, invading the house of the unaware Uncle Channing that was forced to host both the women under her roof, without notice.image002.jpg

Soon, Madeline will prove a real pain in the ass, weaving plots behind Uncle Channing with the complicity of his eternal rival Lionel Lockridge and reducing Pearl Bradford to his personal butler.

image009.jpg

Who bothers you, you know, eventually pays.

And so, in the episodes of 1986, Madeline Capwell is found in her bungalow, her head smashed with a hammer at the hands of some avenger. Now, Capwell, you know that too, conduct business in the family: Sophia, for example, has killed her son. Want to see Madeline was executed by a snake related? Yes, but the reality is much more complex.

At trial, defended by Julia Wainwright, David Laurent ends, the husband of Madeline came to the bungalow shortly before her death for her to sign the divorce papers and, therefore, suspected of having also served up a few blows on the head for receiving a rebuff .

image002.jpg

In fact, the only fault was that of David having abandoned it shortly after the attack, without realizing that the victim was still breathing, and blood staining his shirt, in an attempt to revive her. The District Attorney will therefore rely on the offense of failure to rescue, but defense will win the day anyway.

The lawyer Julia fall in love madly with his client, much to his firm belief in the innocence and get him acquitted. The two begin to celebrate the acquittal of David in the mountains of California, after a stressful process that is an understatement, but as soon reached the hut, the lawyer discovers a bloodstained dumbbell between the personal effects of her boyfriend. The coroner will confirm that the circumference of the object coincides perfectly with the wounds inflicted upon the victim. And 'all hell broke loose. David Laurent also comes to the cabin and he was arrested just in time. But ... after a few months, crowning one of the most formidable yellow I've ever seen, an avid writer in the story of Madeline reveal the identity of real killer.

Courtney Capwell - Madeline's sister so hard that he had participated in the surveys - is stuck in a kind of experiment, which recreates the judicial phase of the murder. Invited to treason in the bungalow where her sister was in, will be forced to admit to killing her in self-defense. The same Madeline, in fact, willing to take even his father's inheritance, had threatened her with a gun forcing her to leave her lying on the floor and hit ...

• Members

I never understood why the show didn't give Todd McKee more to do. And the way he was marginalized made no sense, since he was a good actor and had chemistry with both Laken and Hayley. The show could have easily delved into the young adult relationships more, and gotten back into the Capwell/Lockridge dynamic by really getting Ted and Laken back together. Instead, they paired Hayley with Jake (I had no problem with them breaking Ted and Hayley up, she had gotten a little too high and mighty for my tastes by then), who had absolutely no chemistry; and they wasted the repairing of Ted and Laken by breaking them up again too soon. Then they killed off Hayley, Laken took off again, Jake left town, and Ted was left with nothing to do. It never made any sense.

• Members

I was always a Ted/Hayley backer, but I didn't mind the Jake/Hayley story too much. The problem was the show didn't seem to know what to do because it was so wrapped up in the Cruz/Eden and Kelly/Jeffrey stories that you were lucky to get a sniff of story if you were a secondary character. Then, when the time came to do something dramatic, it was like "let's kill someone off!"

To be fair, Santa Barbara did that a lot with its secondary characters and I think that created problems with the show's continuity.

• Members

Very true. I think this was actually my biggest problem with the show. Unlike other soaps I watched back in the day (ATWT and AMC come to mind - I guess I watched one from each network), SB was way too focused on too few primary characters and didn't do a great job with balancing storylines. If you weren't invested in a primary character (like Cruz and/or Eden), the show could be infuriating. Yet, it still was my favorite soap, because it was just so different in its sensibility.

• Members

I hadn't thought about it that way, but you're right. Secondary characters were actually pretty dull and lifeless, and seemed to exist just to fill time in between Cruz-Eden-Kelly-Mason-Julia-CC-Sophia-Augusta-Lionel-Gina-Keith scenes. Of course, those characters, their portrayers, and the writing for them were so freaking fabulous I didn't mind in the least.

• Members

I loved Mason, Julia, Gina and Keith. I also really liked Lionel and Augusta, but their storyline lost some steam, and then Louise Sorel left. Kelly I mostly liked. I was hit or miss with CC and Sophia. CC was a nasty a--hole, and Sophia wasn't the most sympathetic character, but they did well together. My biggest problem was that I wasn't a Cruz & Eden fan, which became especially problematic around '87 or so - they were written into every storyline so you couldn't escape them. I wish the show had played up (and not killed off so many) and given more depth to secondary characters like Brick, Amy, Ted, Laken, Warren, Hayley, Jane, Pearl, and even Christy. It would have balanced things out some and added some heft to the show. Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but I just don't recall a show relying so much on so few characters.

Even though it was critically slammed in the early years, I'm most fond of SB from'84 to '87 or so. I kept watching through '89, until Robin Wright, Lane Davies, and Todd McKee had all left, and the Lockridges were pretty much decimated. I know they reintroduced the Lockridges, so to speak, later on, but by then I just couldn't get back into it.