Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It's past time Alan did a full-on SB show. As far as I know, he's had solo episodes with A and Nic Coster. He had Mark Arnold on as part of another cast reunion (OLTL). I don't think he'd be able to get Robin Wright (

Please register in order to view this content

), but surely there would be other willing alums to come on for an SB reunion show.

• Members

I'm a bit envious how fast you're speeding through the show, I gave up on trying to catch up with you, I'm still at episode 325ish. 

The one thing I've noticed is how much I have forgotten and how much I still remember. Some dialogue definitely was not appreciated by me back then, so it's a good thing that I am re-living the show.

I have also started watching Virgin River based on someone's recommendation here, because they said it's a modern day soap opera done in the Netflix style, and it is very much so, I can recommend for whoever's looking for something new

• Members

Don't be. Remember that I'm zipping through because my day job is so boring. I click through computer screens and it takes between 1-5 minutes for the next screen to pull up.

I haven't watched Season 3 of VR yet. I read the books, but they are so different that I don't know what will happen on the show. 

I loved SB in the day, but didn't get to watch it often. There are definite bits that I remember, but there's a LOT that is new to me. 

I'd slow down for you, but the next few episodes are so phenomenal, I'm not sure I can.

Yes and know. I kind of know how it ends. 

I'm sure she was. They wanted a list of suspects for their next big WHODUNIT. So they made her irritate everyone she met. And irritate the audience along with the characters. I am usually a calm influence on the world. But I want to reach through my tv, grab her by the lips and hit her with our largest iron skillet!! 

• Members

To me, that was what was so fun about the character.  Terry Davis' April on EON was sickeningly sweet, she had to turn a blind eye to Raven's (almost) incestuous flirting with her husband Draper, and then she had to give up the super sexy Logan when said husband returned from the dead.  I appreciate when actors are cast against type in soaps, and having her play this snooty, mean, conceiving character was perfect. 

The plot was an obvious rip off of the 1985 Glen Close movie Jagged Edge, a defense lawyer falls for her client who was accused of killing his wealthy wife, only to find out later that he was guilty (spoiler alert for a 30 year old movie).  But, they had to change the resolution so it was not completely plagiarized.  However, showing the murderer on the day of the crime as being nowhere near the crime scene was a total cheat.  We saw the murderer being told about the crime in front of others and, unless that person teleported, there was no way to get from the motel to the residence.  It sours the experience for a mystery audience when the solution is implausible given the setup of the crime.

Also, if memory serves, Pearl was a far more annoying character than Madeline.  If he was my Uber driver, I would give him one star for always looking unwashed, talking too much, and listening to the races on the radio.  Although it is a shame that Pearl and Brick didn't form their own chauffeur union and create the earliest version of Lyft (Cultured spit and Masonry?), the charm of that character was totally lost on me.

Edited by j swift

• Members

I'm with J Swift here. I really enjoyed the character of Madeline who was so fascinating to me unlike her drippy sister Courtney. It was such a treat to see Terry Davis playing such a devious character after years of her portraying April on The Edge of Night. By the by, Terry did later show up in a recurring role on Sunset Beach.

• Members

And what's interesting to me is Madeline's sister Courtney played the ultimate mean girl in Romy and Michelle.  So it's interesting seeing her play a sweeter character on SB.

And I do think Terry Davis relished playing a snooty rich lady after playing 2 ingenues in Edge and AW.

And her last soap role wasn't this, but Sunset Beach where she played another dark character during the curses jewel story.

Edited by Soaplovers