I love Mariah carey but.........

EricaKane70

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've seen Madonna in concert when I was younger, and though she's no Mariah Carey when it comes to belting, she can actually sing. She just does what she does best and that's music that makes you want to get up and dance.

I like Mariah, don't get me wrong, but I do miss her singing power ballads and what not. There's a difference between transitioning into new things, and completely abandoning what it is that you do best. Mariah does ballads best. That is what she's known for...her voice. I like her new CD, but I don't think it has the kind of songs that will be around for a long time like "Hero", "Can't Let Go", "Emotions", "I Don't Wanna Cry", "Butterfly", "Visions of Love", "Music Box" or some of her earlier work that escapes me right now.

As much as I liked (as in past tense) "We Belong Together", it isn't that great of a song. The writing is nothing like some of her older material and was too overplayed. I truly wish that she, at least on her next album, gives us some "old school" Mariah and does some good ballads. I'm only 19, but I grew up listening to Mariah. From "I Don't Wanna Cry" & "Some Day" to the 'new and improved' Mariah. This was more of a commercial success than a professional success IMHO. Maybe the "Emancipation" was just something to get fans interested in her again. I dunno. But I hope that her next album will be a better album overall.

• Members

Thank you! This is something that people forget. Unlike Britney, Janet, and J. Lo, Madonna has always chosen to sing live (with very few exceptions) during her concert tours and live performances. She may not have the technically great voice that Mariah has, but those are rare to come by. The fact is, Madge deserves respect for always singing live, because so many of her peers DO NOT. And I agree that although she can't hit high notes like Mariah, she sounds very respectable live. And if there is anyone who says that Madonna doesn't sing live, you obviously have never watched her concert DVDs or seen her on stage ... it's obvious.

And in no way do I think Mariah is a greater artist than Madonna. Madonna has always had a message: do what you want, be who you are, don't let anyone hold you back. Her videos and concert tours have been groundbreaking in so many ways. She is a living legend.

• Members

I love that song. Her voice sounds so erotic in that song. I am so glad that I waited as long as I did to get the album. The Ultra Platinum Edition w/ DVD is worth every penny. Thats the only cd ive been listening to for the past 3 days. Whether im raking the leaves or on the turlet, Im listening to that cd.

• Members

I think she and Twista should release "One and Only" and "So Lonely" as the next singles. The videos will be hot too.

I got it when it first came out, but the song, "Your Girl" was scratched and it only played half of the song. :( I love that song.

Celine's not bad...I like her enough that I would see her in Vegas.

• Members

I like both Madonna and Mariah, but I don't like them as much as I used to--but for different reasons.

I'm not too thrilled with Madonna's Euro-dance music, but I took a chance and bought "American Life." I didn't think it was bad, but I think it was one of her weaker CDs. I don't know if I will buy "Confessions on the Dance Floor" considering I don't like "Hung Up" at all.

As for Mariah, my problem with Mariah is not her singing or her songs, it's her personality. Mariah comes across as fake to me. I hate her "sex-kitten" image (I don't think she's that cute), and I hate it when she acts like a diva. The image that Mariah projects may not be a reflection of her true self, but it's still off-putting.

• Members

I couldn't stand Mariah Carey when she did Divas Live on VH1. Everyone said she acted like a !@#$%^&*] behind the scenes. Some of the other singers on there were much better than her and I couldn't believe she tried to out-diva Diana Ross. Diana may be a !@#$%^&*] too, but you can't ignore her talent and she is a legend. Mariah will be lucky if she ever attains that status.

I really never liked Mariah's voice to begin with and as her career progressed, it seemed that she deliberately howled to show off what she can do. When listening to her, you can tell she rips off Donna Summer. Now that is a singer people, and she is still going strong over 50.

• Members

I actually think that Mariah has a great personality. If you watch her behind the scenes video on the DVD of the rerelease, she's actually pretty funny. Yea she's a diva, but not in a !@#$%^&*]y way. She's a diva in a way that its hilarious.

• Members

I'm not trying to argue with you Bree...I'm just stating facts that are obvious! IF(and I do mean IF) Mariah is the biggest !@#$%^&*] on the face of the planet, I feel she has earned the right to be. LOL.

And as far as personality goes, at least Mariah doesn't forget most of who she leaves behind, like most stars do. She constantly gives shoutouts to Brenda K. Starr, wrote songs for Trey Lorenz and has continually tried to help revive his solo career. Then, there is Kelly Price(ex-backup singer), who she invited to sing her "Through the Rain" Remix with her on the Charmbracelet Album.

As far as Diva Diana goes, I think the Mary Wilson 20/20 DOWNTOWN Interview From 2000 pretty much tells that story right there. Diana was nothing but a spotlight whore from the get-go, leaving out the talent and range of the other performers behind in what was initially a group effort.

Archived