I love Mariah carey but.........

EricaKane70

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here's a new concept. How about appreciating both Madge + Boobs for entirely separate reasons?

Basically, "We Belong Together" makes me want to sing all trembly and weepy-like in the shower. "Hung Up" makes me want to dance like it's... 1979. Different strokes for different folks. And Bellcurve has even made me want to go out and rent Glitter during this Thanksgiving holiday. :lol:

Now. I'm waiting for somedy to start a thread on the merits of JLo's musical genius. I still believe her acting talent far outweighs her ability (or not) to hit a note. Any note.

• Members

Let's not get started on J-Lo and how she started her musical career wanting to be Mariah Carey. Exhibit A) The Honey Blonde Hairstyle B) Singing "Do You Know Where You're Going To" When Mariah Carey did it for her #1s first(FYI: Mariah was forced to only release it internationally and in special compilations). C) Lifting Musical Samples From Mariah's "Glitter" soundtrack to jumpstart her remixes career, something Mariah set the stage for in the mid 90's.

J-Lo is so untalented it hurts! I have seen two movies with her in them(Gigli being the first, Monster-In-Law more recent) and to me, she doesn't play a different character. She plays Jennifer Lopez. I haven't seen Selena yet, but I hear that she did a phenominal job in the role.

I do like a few of J-Lo's songs. I like the original and remixed "Ain't It Funny." And I think that's pretty much it.

Overall, J-Lo, as a person and a human being sucks.

And people say Mariah Carey is a diva? All I have to do is remember that "Fabulous Life...." VH1 Special or some crap and remember how J-Lo was getting her makeup done by an artist with a paintbrush and palette. G-A-G!

• Members

----------------

First of all, I don't have to compare anything. So what if Music came out in 2000? Mariah scored 13 of her #1 hits before 2000; would you like to not count those in her total?

Mariah will be hard pressed to ever match Madonna's thirty-five Top 10 hits, the most of any female soloist in history.

And it's also a damned shame that Mariah's record label is always touting her as the bestselling female artist, when a quick search of the official RIAA site will confirm that Madonna has sold more records.

It's sad to watch the ageist comments that Mariah fans direct at Madonna, especially since Mariah will be entering her 40s before long. We'll see how SHE looks at 47.

I find it funny that Madonna and Mariah are held up against each other, because they are really not similar at all. It used to be that people would compare Madonna to Janet, and Mariah to Whitney. I guess the fact that they are the two most successful female soloists (according to #'s) is what causes the competition.

I agree, and I wasn't offended at all! I love debating stuff like this, and at the end of the day, both of them will have fans who are simply grateful to have their music.

• Members

Isnt this thread a comparison??? Thats what it is. A comparison between Mariah and Madonna. Wasnt your comment "Well, Madonna's "Music" sold 420, 000 in its first week, so take that!" for that purpose? Obviously you were comparing the 420,000 to Mariah's 404,000 and trying to say madonna's one up on mariah. I was just saying that you cant compare sales of an album from 2000 to an album from 2005 without there being some sort of bias...a lurking variable. It would be like you saying, "'Music' sold 2.9 million" and me saying "well, 'Daydream' sold 10 million, take that!" Not a great comparison is it?

Madonna's got 8 years worth of singles ahead of Mariah. Within those 8 years, she released 30 singles. Mariah's got 24 top tens. If Madonna was to have debuted in 1990 like Mariah, then she would only have 19 top tens. I dont think it will be hard for Mariah to reach 35, considering that 2005 was her major comeback year, having the 2nd highest selling album of the year, only behind 50 cent. (50's album came out a couple months before Mimi's)

Dont take what Im saying as if Im trying to erase everything that Madonna has done pre 1990. Totalling everything together, Madonna definately has more top 10s. But she has had more years worth of singles and albums than Mariah. I was just trying to put them at an equal level for comparison.

you know what. It is a shame. Cuz neither Mariah nor Madonna can really claim the "best selling female artist of all time" title. Apparently, it would be given to a Greek singer Nana Mouskouri who has sold 300 million worldwide or Alla Pugacheva who has supposedly sold as much. Technically, mariah, madonna, celine, whitney, nana, and alla each have a case for the title. We can never really tell cuz no one has the EXACT sales figures.

Oh yes! We will see alright............. We'll see how AMAZING she looks. LOL

I find it funny too. they are at opposite ends of the spectrum musically yet they are always put against each other. I guess it will always be like that.

• Members

Here's a thought:

Madonna first started out taking her clothes off. Now she keeps them on. But when you're pushing 50 and had two kids by C-section, I guess it's best. But she still looks great though. :lol:

Mariah first started out keeping her clothes on. Now she lets it all hang out. She's become so ghetto trashy it's not even funny.

I must thank Madonna for not using rappers on any of her records, and instead being in commercials with them. :lol:

• Members

OK, I must take back my comment about Madonna's Thirty-FIVE Top 10 hits, because "Hung Up" has officially risen to #7 on "Billboard." Let's make that Thirty-SIX Top 10 hits, with more to come no doubt.

And yes, "American Life - Remix," but it's not like she has ever used a rapper to gain chart-toppers. She is one of the few who can say she earned each Top 10 as a soloist. Most of J Lo's relied on a rapper, and Mariah has used rappers plus Boyz II Men.

It's funny that I am being so anti-Mariah, because I did purchase "Emancipation of Mimi" and I also own her best of!

• Members

I too miss Mariah doing the ballads. I've got her first 3 CDS, and they are some of the best pop releases ever, IMO! Mariah started to go downhill when she adopted the guise of R&B diva. I haven't liked her music since the late 1990s, and "We Belong Together" is an irritating piece of trash.

I'm a Madonna fan from a long time back, so I'll always support her over Mariah.

Guest Degrassi87

i see nothing wrong with people from diff types of music comming together in a song. Nelly & Tim McGraw's song is awsome. Beyonce & Slim Thug's new song is hot. Mariah has used rap stars for a long time now, its nothing new.

Madonna & mariah are so diff alos, why is anyuone putting them up next to eachother? Madonna is the one who has the songs that make u wanna dance. Shes pure Pop. Mariah has some sings like that but most are more hip-hop/r&b type music. both are great.

• Members

About half of Mariah's 16 #1 hits were due to others collaborating with her.

That said, has anyone heard "So Lonely" on the Emancipation re-release?! I am always dancing to that song! LOL.

P.S.: Shane, not to say that you are not a Mariah fan, but I own every single album, including the DualDisc Xmas album that was released not too long ago and the re-release of Mimi. Don't ask me about Import Albums, because I don't own any of those.

Archived