B&B: Week of Jan. 7, 2007 Discussion.

• Members

Hunter Tylo has not improved as an actress. The only emotion she has ever been able to play with complete honesty is anger and hatred at Brooke. I'm just glad that the writers are finally playing to her strengths.

As for Stephanie, how can any of you think she deserves to be loved or have a lover? She is the most despicable of human beings ever to be portrayed on a soap. This woman does not love or care about anyone, she is motivated by nothing other than hatred and a desire to get her own way. I really don't understand why Brooke is letting her call the shots when she really should have gave her an ultimatum, "either you are going to exonerate my father, or I am going to go to the police and have you charged as an accessory to rape." But that would take real writing, and while B&B has improved, it still doesn't write more than one storyline at a time, which is what is still holding it back from moving to an hour.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Brooke cant do anything to Steph. Seriously, what can she say or prove to the police? She doesnt have much of a case. She has even less of a case being that she never even reported the rape which happened about 5-6 months ago. Nope, Brooke doesnt have any cards over Stephanie

• Members

Brooke could take Stephanie to civil court and sue her for emotional and monetary damages. That would be very entertaining.

It is so typical of a Bell soap to encourage victims of rape not to report the crime against them to the police. I remember Sharon doing the same thing to protect her virginity lie on the Y&R. Personally, I find it very despicable that a soap opera would not step up and show women the proper action to take when they are raped. To me that encourages women to keep quiet and allows horrible people like Matt Clark and Stephanie Forrester to get away with their crimes. Where I live the same thing just happened. One man has been getting away with rape for years, but he picked the wrong victim and it made the news and suddenly several victims have come forward. Imagine the pain and suffering that could have been spared if his first victim had come forward.

• Members

Actually, B&B has not moved to an hour format because Brad Bell wants it to stay a 30 minute show for several reasons.

1-Easier to package and export around the world (and B&B is the most watched soap with over 500 million viewers worldwide)

2-He can accelerate and slow down the production schedule as he chooses

3-No outside interference from CBS or another production company since Bell-Phillip Television owns it outright

4-Easier to write in that he can change storylines rapidly

5-The cast stays intimate and small

At her MIT speech Kay Alden confirmed that it is the Bell's intention to keep B&B a 30 minute show indefinitely.

• Members

I agree BadZoe. B&B needs to have at least 2 and a half stories going each episode, it's a little tedious with one big A story. It's not like 30 minute soaps can't handle more than one story as well, look at Ryan's Hope at its peak (arguably the best and most respected 30 min soap), it thrived on multiple stories going on at once.

• Members

B&B used to also have multiple storylines going at once and it thrived. It seems that since it moved to one storyline per day/month/year much of their 500 million audience has dwindled. Coronation Street, my all time favorite soap, is only 30 minutes long, but has a cast of over 40 characters with storylines that rotate among them. All the American soaps would to so much better if they would watch and study that one.

As for Bell wanting to keep B&B to a 30 minute format, it is about time. When I stopped reading the soap rags, he wanted it to be an hour. That is still no excuse for having a one track mind.

• Members

Well, I don't know whether it is the Writers' Strike or what but judging by this coming week's spoilers, B&B will be sticking with the one-SL formula. Taylor/Brooke/Nick seem to be headlining a number of days. Not that I am complaining as I thought HT killed it last week with her scenes of a Woman on the Edge (apart from the cringeworthy "I hate her!" attempt at following her own advice). In fact, I think HT has been doing a great job so far and I am by no means a Tayfan.

Friday's episode was particularly good. I will say, though, that Brooke had a point about Taylor needing to seek therapy. I know people will diss me for that, but if it means Taylor can come to terms and bond with her son (and he is her son, she carried him for 8-9 months!), than that sounds like good advice to me. Even though I can see Taylor's side of things and her frustration. I would feel REALLY stabby, too, if I thought this one woman was trying to steal my life, my men, my kids.

Monday = Brooke/Taylor confrontation at the café. Alright! The caf used to be CJ's business, right? I wish Mick Cain would return and join forces with Clarke and Jackie!

I am also wondering what was going on with Stephanie's phone call last week about having to go away to see Pam and Anne. It seemed so out of the blue that I'm wondering whether CrazyPam is setting Steffers up for a kidnapping?

ROTFL at Donna's "sex addict" excuse to Eric. Just when you think B&B is getting maudlin, B&B pulls out an unexpected, campy surprise and it totally made me enjoy a confrontation I was all ready to FF through.

• Members

Seriously, when I was writing last week about "Donna being LA's finest whore" I had NO idea that B&B is pulling another rendition of camp galore of the likes of Jackie being a harbor hooker. I had to rewind Donna's confession thrice because it was just too hilarious. :lol:

THis was just so good and made a good story drive.

Re: that "I hate her"-scene. Dare I say, I liked Hunter Tylo's version more than that of La Flannery when she was forced to 'confront' her dead father during the abuse story/Ann&Pam arrival!? I still find this concept forced but apparently it is an accepted psychological means of therapy: Huh? AT least someone in the B&B writers room believes in this concept, I guess. I gonna ask one of my best friends who's a shrink about that...

• Members

See, I read that scene as Taylor realizing that the whole concept of shouting at your frustrations at a wall is COMPLETELY useless and flawed. I think Taylor even said something along the lines of "I cannot believe I have been recommending this to patients!" right afterwards.

It's so soapy... the psychiatrist slowly becoming tormented by possible (or possibly not?) paranoia. I love it! I hope they show Taylor going through a process of craziness and then healing, though, and not the Morgan DeWitt road of no-return.

Archived