GH: Carolyn Hinsey Weighs in Emily's Death

• Members

I don't understand why soaps kill young core characters. Sure, it can provide a dramatic payoff, but they rarely play it past whatever sweeps month they're in, so what's the point.

I just watched Emily Quartermaine die on General Hospital, the only remaining young member of a major family. So GH went to all the trouble to create the character, have Alan and Monica adopt her, and even get us to accept a recast just to murder her as a sweeps stunt. And they won't even get the impact of her loss because she will stick around as a ghost, making her the second member of her immediate family to haunt someone.

Why not put Emily in a coma? You get the same band for your buck - family mourning, Nikolas's guilt, Emily appearing to him - without killing a young, beautiful girl who fans cared about. You know Emily's death means? In six months, GH will have to introduce some sudden relative (I'm guessing a never-mentioned younger sister of Sonny, Ric or Patrick) to pick up the slack in the 20-something romance department and it will take years for fans to care about her. It's all pointless, particularly when you consider that Emily was murdered after Ric got stabbed ('speared like a cocktail onion" as Luke described it), Alexis got apprendicitis and Luke had a heart attack. It was anticlimactic - and our beloved Emily deserved better than that.

I don't love that Guiding Light killed Tammy, either, but at least they continue to play it in Cassie's through line. It almost explains her psychotic devotion to her bratty sudden son, Will. Since when two little kids fighting and trying to fool their parents for an hour story? Talk about paralyzing.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, to be fair (and for the record, I HATE that they've killed Emily, and agree with Hinsey that it was a mistake. Ugh. I think I just tasted bile.) It's not like the exact same regime (or even network prez) created the character, wrote the adoption and drug addiction story, and then killed her, all in one or two years.

That's like saying what was the point of bringing Wayne Northrup back as Roman on DAYS in the early 90's, if they were going to bring him on as Alex North twelve years later. We're talking a lot of EP's and HW's in between there.

• Members

Amen! She is such a fat bitch and a clueless hack...who is she sleeping with at Digest to keep her job? She has not one ounce of talent and a couple years ago, 75% of her columns either whined about recasts or plastic surgery...no substance

It is no wonder Digest sales are down....nobody wants to read her stupid, boring, columns.

• Members

I hardly agree with her, but since it IS her opinion, and she clearly states it, I'm not sure what the anger is towards her. And why whenever someone is overweight, their weight is used against them, as it's the worst thing that you could say about someone!?

• Members

as much as you may hate her is it needed to call her fat? please. you can get your point across withouit name calling, IMHO.

I dont agree with her, but i ahve met her e a few times i do like her as a person.

i miss the duling divas from SOW. that was always my fave thing to read.

• Members

I hardly have any anger against her....I feel nothing for the bimbo. In fact, I just laugh at her. You notice how everytime someone writers her calling her out on her sh1t, she prints the letter and then a few weeks later prints a letter from someone kissing her ass and coming down on the first person? She is a predictable and delusional hack who would have been fired under me because, one, she pisses off too many people (most opinion columnists piss off a few...she just does it to many) and two she has no creativity in her columns. There is a reason why magazine sales are down and that is because of her. My friend gets subscriptions to SOW, the magazine where she is Editor in Chief, and each week the magazine is late. Gee I wonder? Oh yeah...you got a clueless moron, who just happens to be fat and can benefit from plastic surgery herself despite whining about it, in charge of it.

I have seen far more callous and immature comments from her than me calling her overweight. So I say she gives as good as she gets and we just respond to Carolyn Fatsey. Trust me, I can say many worse things about her but it would get me in trouble here so I will reserve comment ;)

• Members

LOL there are only three people on this Earth I hate...George W. Bush, Osama Bin Laden, and my father. I feel nothing for the girl (and yes, she is a girl and not a woman)....and sure why not call her fat? She makes rude comments all the time! They are her forte and she thrives on attention and stirring the pot. That is the least offensive thing that can be said about her. So sue me if I call her a name, whether it be fat or b1tch...the fact is, if the shoe fits then go for it because both those descriptions are apt to her.

You have met her? I hope you do not get nightmares from it ;)..I would not know about SOW since I do not read it...it looks more like a tabloid to me and, well, what would you expect when Fatsey is in charge of it? Trash is the key for SOW!

• Members

I love how threads veer drastically off topic like a drunken Mel Gibson behind the wheel. :rolleyes:

Anyway, back to the topic at hand -- I, too, thought Emily's death was anticlimactic. Especially with her dead body laying there for four episodes. *YAWN*

This whole Black & White Ball sweeps stunt was not up to snuff. Especially after a great showing during the last big sweeps months. The Train Wreck, the Virus, Luke & Laura, the Hostage Crisis... this one was just horrible.

Archived