Writer's Strike Thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The WGA can even fine people who aren't a member of the Guild?

Observing this industry for as long as I have, the best(in terms of Head-Writers at least) are NEVER given a fair shot. They just recycle the same old writers over and over. Some of the best HW with short stints have never been hired for that same position again(Christian McLaughlin, Karen Harris, Michele Val Jean).

BUT, I certainly see your point. I think anyone who even entertains the idea of writing in any visual medium should stay away from scabbing.

Yikes...scumbag...that's kind of harsh.

• Members

PGP has nothing to worry about unless its people who are directors...

When GL moved into its smaller, more cramped studio in 2005-06, they ditched all their lighting/tech folks for those who were non-union. I'm sure ATWT is going to do the same thing when they change their production shedule, regardless if there's a strike.

ALSO...don't forget they said lighting equipment to locations AND studios. Meaning, if the camera and tech people don't show up to shoot, regardless if there are scabs to write soaps, there will still be no soaps.

And all those stockpiled scripts will be a moot point!

• Members

Apparently, Greg Vaughan and Kelly Monaco had a PA in NYC today (and Kimberly McCullough and Jason Thompson and Sebastian Roché and Ignacio Serricchio have PAs there tomorrow), and one of the recaps said that Kelly said she has some scripts for January.

So if that recap is accurate, it sounds like ABC had a contingency plan in place.

• Members

Having scripts written for January doesn't sound like much of a contingency plan. That's only two months away, and soaps usually shut down production for at least a week over the holidays. Maybe they won't this year, but my point is that it won't take ANY soap long to eat through the scripts that are already written.

Archived