Writer's Strike Thread

• Members

Yes, actors will be at work tomorrow. Albeit, they will have to cross these massive picket lines that will be surrounding the studios that they work at.

Technically, this strike may not shut down production of anything. If networks decide, they may hire freelance or "scab" writers to temporarily replace the striking writers so that production is not disrupted and they do not lose out on cash.

During the last strike in 1988, only soap opera kept in production with the hiring of scab writers and many executive producers and other production staff helping out with the writing.

I should add that most soaps have already taped anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks of shows in advance, so all soaps have stuff taped well into the middle to end of November, some maybe into early December.

However, scripts that have written should take most soaps almost to the end of December, after that its up to the 3 networks to decide to shut down production or allow the shows to hire freelance or scab writers until this dispute is solved.

Lets hope this strike is over before the networks make that kind of a decision....cause most likely soaps production will be shut down and thus forcing them into pre-emption hell which would be absolutely DEVASTATING to their viewership.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Am I the only one who wants the WGA strike to be a long one? Do you really think that network executives will improve the current 8 shows on their own? Something's gotta give, and that something just might be a long strike. Look at the changes made after the 1988 strike. I think AMC benefited the most from that strike.

• Members

I just don't get it - and it's not here as much as one or so other boards - but why are there so many posts from people who, for whatever reason, aren't watching a particular soap and want the show to die - or they are watching and still want it to die?? :blink:

A lot of people say they look at the spoilers, previews and boards to decide if they're going to watch an episode - and I can understand that to a point. But I'm lost when it comes to hateful posts made by people who aren't watching - and a lot of those people are basically saying they never plan to watch again. I mean if the day comes that I stop watching, I will vanish from all the soap related sites - that just seems like a given, but apparently not for everyone?? :unsure:

With this writers strike, I hope it's resolved quickly for a lot of reasons, but mainly because I want to be able to watch the few programs I enjoy. The dvd aspect of this hits me as strange since it seems like the writers would be getting $ from sales (?)but I can see how the online media would be more difficult to control...

• Members

ITA maconrich. I'm hoping this ends quickly. When writers went on strike in 1988, daytime dramas had enjoyed high ratings. Naturally, the networks would do whatever they could to keep them. Not now, I fear. With most of these soaps at 2.4 or lower, there is no incentive for the networks to keep airing them during a strike or afterwards. Once they run out of scripts, that could be it for several of them. :(

• Members

But we all know most of these daytime soaps suffer from the most juvenile, lackluster, passionless writing this genre has ever seen.

The producers KNOW THIS.

The network prexies and heads KNOW THIS.

Daytime has been in a creative slump for a long time now. And anyone who dare to improve the genre is often sacked immediately for someone with less talent.

The network heads are behind a lot of these writing decisions and in some cases, in charge of a lot of what we see on screen right now.

Things are SO different now than they were in '88. In '88, people actually gave a damn about quality writing, about quality production, etc.

If GH hires scabs, I could see Hitler and Frons using it to push their agenda and blaming it on the scabs. If I were Jane Elliot, Nancy Lee Grahn, Jackie Zeman, Leslie Charleson, etc. there's no way I wouldn't be concerned for my job during the strike.

It won't matter if there's a long strike. The crap we see on our screens will only get worse!

Some just want to see their show die with a little dignity instead of drag itself along, going through extended revamps and continuing to be unfamiliar.

Just ask Dan about GL. He'll explain it to you.

• Members

And the irony is, that the networks are partially responsible for not firring the hacks that are generating the abysmal ratings. If they don't have the incentive to air the soaps during or after the strike, then it's because they've stood by and allowed these writers the continual chance to run their shows into the ground. I mean, surely CBS can see what LML's stint is doing Y&R?

The soap genre should be treasured, not battered into the ground. It's still got life in it. Just a shame the networks can't see that it still has it's uses. Daytime just needs modernizing that's all. Oh, and for fans to stick together in supporting it, not writing it off.

• Members

Because when the strike is over, the nets HAVE to hire soap writers back. It's an agreement with the Motion Picture Alliance, right? That would be the terms of the deal...they would HAVE to replace scabs with union writers.

Thw writers have leverage. You can't get just ANYONE to write DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES and LOST. Same for soaps.

• Members

i couldnt agree more. i dont really bash GL, ATWT, OLTL, or Pssns becayse they got so bad i quit.

When i bash YR & AMC is beacuse im still watching - for some reason. tho my amc bashing is about to stop because im about to stop watching.

and as for lookign at spoilers/previews to decide to watch - thats what i do with all the soaps except for the ones ive watched my entire life - GH & Days. The two i will watch til the bitter end.

Archived