DAYS: Former writer lands major writing award

• Members

No problem, Greg. Based on those few lines of her interview, I'd hire her like - yesterday. If it weren't for what she did several months ago, I'd have no problem with her. It's really sad when something as reckless as that what she did stains a person's reputation in more ways than one, to use a cliche. Still, if I were running the sudsers, I'd know who to call.

Excellent post, Greg.

It would be so fun to see one day on my TV screen:

GUIDING LIGHT

written by

Naima Bint Harith

That's Guiding Light on steroids!! :lol:

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

RIGHT!!! It would be on steroids, and I bet it would be a pleasure to watch. She could bring some much-needed third dimension to Mel, Remy and Felicia. There's a start for one of her ideas that you highlighted above. The actress playing Mel could definitely shine given some meaty stuff like that.

If that day were to ever come, I would be so so so happy. :)

Instead, we're stuck with DK and he's practically destroying what's left of a once great soap opera. I remember when EW announced that he'd gotten the HW job. She mentioned his history with the show as it's breakdown writer...then a comment about "how cute he is"! And I thought to myself (hell, I may have even said it out loud) "WHAT has this man's LOOKS have to do with him writing my story?!?" Unbelievable. :angry:

He should kiss the ground "VV" walks on, because she is what most writers should aspire to be.

• Members

At this point, I'd be willing to see Vola VavavaVoom HWing a soap of her choosing (except OLTL because Carlivati needs more time to get his vision across, IMO). I hope it is a soap she loves and has been watching for years, as I firmly believe you cannot write for a show of which you haven't been a fan. :)

The genre needs to be saved. VV wants it bad, so let her put her money where her mouth is. Honestly, if this woman is winning awards on her writing and talking this way about saving soaps, how can her writing be worse than Dena Higley's? David Kreizman's? McTavish's? Lynn Marie Latham's? Girl needs a chance to show she's got the skills.

...As long as she hires me as a dialogue writer, of course. Heh. :lol:

• Members

It can't be controversy, with the crappy trash soaps are more than willing to produce. Hypocrisy maybe. Racism wouldn't surprise me a bit. I can just picture the bigwigs afraid that Sami Brady would start wearing gold teeth on her watch.

And why is someone with an unspeakable name allowed a thread dedicated to them? How can I ignore that she exists now? :lol:

• Members

Sorry, I don't speak Swedish, but if I recall correctly there is a Swedish member of this forum, he usually post about British soap operas, so maybe he'll be able to help. :D Anyway, here's the article from Bragman Media:

[s.W.S.N.B.N.] Awarded Sweden's Writing Pen and will Headline N.Y.'s Shomburg Center Sept. 16th

By: MARK FOGARTY (Bragman Media) (PRWEB)

Wednesday, Sep 12 2007, 4:01am

Novelist-poet [s.W.S.N.B.N.] has won Sweden's 2007 World Author's Woman to Woman Award and will be presented with it during her reading at New York's prestigious Schomburg Center this Sunday September 16th.

American based writer [s.W.S.N.B.N.] will be presented with Sweden's 2007 World Author's Woman to Woman Pen during her September 16th reading at Harlem's Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture.

The award is for her powerful essay "I Am My Own Daughter", which was published earlier this year in Sweden's top women's magazine, Ottar.

Swedish Link: http://www.rfsu.se/jag_ar_min_egen_dotter.asp

Ms. Boof's reading at the Schomburg Center will take place in the Langston Hughes Auditorium at 4 p.m. The Center (212-491-2257) is at 515 Malcolm X Boulevard.

Admission is Free.

Though many who've never read the "glamorexic" author's works have unfairly dubbed her the "Diana Ross of the publishing business", Boof is a powerfully gifted and acclaimed literary stylist and social activist often despised for her candor.

Born Naima Bint Harith in Omdurman Sudan, [s.W.S.N.B.N.] was one of the first writers to alert America about the catastrophe that continues to unwind in that nation. The highest ranking woman in the SPLA despite the "sexism" of detractors within the group, Boof was an early advocate against the Biblically-proportioned plagues afflicting that once-beautiful country: genocide, starvation, rampant rape, and predation by modern-day slavers.

Boof, who describes herself as a womanist writer in the tradition of Alice Walker, Toni Morrison and Terry McMillan, has also been dubbed "the African Garbo" by the New York Times and will read from her collection of short fiction, "Long Train to the Redeeming Sin: Stories of African Women", her landmark book of poetry, "Nile River Woman", and her epic novel "Flesh and the Devil", all published by Door of Kush Press.

A new poem by Boof in honor of activist-writer Ward Churchill entitled "Indigenism: White Man/Bare Chest" will also be read. Boof says that Ward Churchill was totally wrong for his comments about the victims of 911, but that the University of Colorado is equally wrong for "persecuting" such an important artist.

By appearing at the Schomburg Center, the notoriously ambitious [s.W.S.N.B.N.] follows in the illustrious footsteps of Afro-American legends such as Marita Golden, Walter Mosley, Pearl Cleage, Eric Jerome Dickey, Maya Angelou, Terry McMillan, Amiri Baraka, Star Jones, Fantasia, Iyanla Vanzant, Tavis Smiley, bell hooks, Stephen Carter, Keith Boykin, Gloria Naylor, Tiki Barber, Lauryn Hill and Jasmyne Cannick.

The program starts at 4 p.m.

Additional Information:

Phone: 917-776-7827

• Members

...As opposed to, you know, trolling Internet message boards fighting with 19 year olds. Because that would just be counterproductive.

I don't begin to understand the full story here but I know a headache when I see it. I used to at least admire this woman's - person, whoever, I'm not convinced there is a real person anymore besides some sort of overactive Internet meme - articulate understanding of soaps. I can't do that anymore because there is such a cloud of bullshit and insanity surrounding everything about her. And that's why she/he/it/they don't write for the soaps, and that's why they never will. In the end it doesn't matter who did what to who or whether or not all these obscure people have secret vendettas against ___ ___. No one really gives a [!@#$%^&*] about that except whoever considers themselves intimately involved. The bottom line is that the idea of this person, its cult of personality, and all the bullshit and drama and trolling that comes with it, whether or not it is coming from that person are not, are too much of a hassle and embarrassment. That's why she will not be head writer of any soap, ever. And after having to put up with this [!@#$%^&*] for long enough I can't say I'm sorry.

She/he/it/they can have as many screen names as they want here, there, or everywhere. Whether it's posters who favor her, posters who don't, or the writer herself, I do not know. But what I do know is it's never going to change anything about their status in daytime, it's only going to make it worse and I wish that whoever is really responsible for this behavior would step back, act like the mature adult they must surely be capable of being in real life, and move forward from sitting around frantically waging a small war against college students, soccer moms, and nerds (myself included). There will never be a grassroots Internet movement to get this person hired and the rest of it is just sheer trolldom from someone. It's just sad and pathetic to watch someone who otherwise had decent ideas for daytime have any reputation she had among fans be repeatedly tarnished and destroyed, whether it is by herself or someone else. Again, I don't know that. All I know is, a year ago or so I was genuinely interested in the woman's writing. A year later, with no personal contact with her, or any of her fans/detractors, only going by what I see on these forums, I am disgusted and sick and tired of ever hearing about her again. And if I feel that way, how does professional daytime feel?

Let it go.

• Members

Oh, Vee, you sound like a dying diva... :lol: You turned this post into Nietzschean philosophy of some sorts, things are not that black, although you are quite right about many things. I'm just so very sorry that I'm too lazy in this very moment to reply fully to what you wrote.

Archived