DAYS: Former writer lands major writing award

• Members

Well, I'm going out on a limb here.

In today's MediaBistro (which is like a really big deal in the publishing industry) they

featured the seasons big award winners, including the Nobel Prize for Doris Lessing

and the Man Booker Prize for Ann Enright.

Well along with those heavyweights, they have a former writer from "Days" whose name is

not allowed on these boards. You all know Vola Voof.

Scroll down to her award win in Sweden.

MediaBistro/Literary Award Winners:

http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat/awards/default.asp

I know people are prudes and people are petty, but I just don't get it.

The soap industry is dying and they're letting award winning authors like this get away

because they're eccentric and cause publicity?????

I just find that to be the most mind-boggling stupidity.

I watch the shows day in and day out, and I don't see the level of passion or bodacious-ness

that this woman had anywhere on the soaps.

Now back in the day, they use to have that urgency. People talked about them!

I just find myself miffed at the whole OVER-REACTION to this award winning and obviously

rising author by the soap industry. Talent is talent.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
You all know Vola Voof...her award win in Sweden.

The soap industry is dying and they're letting award winning authors like this get away

because they're eccentric and cause publicity?????

What is the deal with her? Does she want to be writing for daytime? If so, why isn't she? Jealousy? Racism? Controversial?

Daytime is dying. Which show is next? GL?

• Members
What is the deal with her? Does she want to be writing for daytime? If so, why isn't she? Jealousy? Racism? Controversial?

Daytime is dying. Which show is next? GL?

All I know is that during her reading at the Schomburg Center last month, some soap fans asked

her questions from the audience and she said that she's offered to write "for free" for all the soaps.

She even wrote a bible for "Guiding Light".

She said that she nags Brian Frons daily and nags Barbara Bloom and nobody will give her a job

unless it's "uncredited" as a Ghost Writer.

Supposedly the "sponsors" don't like her past, but Vola said certain writers are jealous of all the media

attention she gets and that they only have two agents for soap writers because they pretty much pass

the same people around like "musical chairs", and she said neither one of those agents would take her

because the "star writer" for each agent threatened to walk if they took on Vola.

She has a bunch of books coming out though and she wrote a movie for LIFETIME CHANNEL that she's waiting

for them to actually film.

I was pissed they won't use her though. She's popular with black soap fans I know that much.

• Members
I would like to know why has she become SON’s She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. I know there were some allegations she appeared on this board, made some mess etc., was banned and so forth. But I don't know the details. :lol:

To me, just being "BANNED" makes her cool as hell!

I mean heck, that's the kind of writers that go on to become legends.

Everything she does, there's a commotion around it.

To me, that's a sign that she's got something.

Why does the press like to write about her so much?

• Members

Yeah I am, and let me just say something—Kevin Reilly needs to be strung up by his balls and lashed with extension chords if he really believes people don't want to see soap operas. It's these stupid executives and these ancient relics producing and writing who don't realize that the soap format has to be updated to compete with cable and pop culture, it has to mutate into a hipper more accessible vehicle for the 21st century—the same quirky relevance that drives Grey's Anatomy could be distilled to make daytime soaps competitive with cable. I mean honestly—how in the hell have they never done any stories about breast implants, pot smoking, feminist political sex—meaning young career women who think it's perfectly fine to share a bed with two men at the same time, reverse racism against whites—that could be a compelling storyline with an intelligent black woman like me writing it, man-sharing or exploring for instance the dislike between white women and black women in society.

How about a black woman who doesn't want her black son dating a dark skinned black girl? Why is real life not being utilized on the daytime soaps? You can't compete with a hundred fifty cable channels and do the same predictable boring ass baby-switching storylines over and over again; you have to have very emotional love stories. You need innovative social ideas mixed in with traditional storytelling, and you have to use the veterans, the core family of a show to build a solid foundation from. How in the hell can I not bring back the Hortons or the Bauers? When I was a kid, I could give a damn about the teen soap characters—I wanted to see Mac and Rachel, Raven Swift, John and Marlena, the Hortons, Victor Newman. I thought the best shows were the ones with innovative chance-taking writers like Agnes Nixon, Harding Lemay and Douglass Marland.

The networks just don't allow that kind of vision anymore, and then when they get someone who has a "vision" rather than a plot—someone such as myself who nobody can deny is passionate and can write—they fired me over some camel-crap. Bible belt Christians fear I may be hiding Osama Bin Laden's love child and my name looks funny on the credits—why shouldn't it? I'm a Flintstone, Ok?—oh, and the sponsors don't like me. Then they hire me at another network to write in secret…ghost write us some ideas [[email protected]#$%^&*]…but writing ideas is not real writing—it's sending memos all day.

I wish to God somebody would let me have six good months as head writer of “Guiding Light” or “One Life to Life”. Hell, I’d even work on “Passions”!—it’s time for soaps to kick cable’s ass, but the networks are run by people who lack imagination and are too financially comfortable and too normal. They’re out of touch; they only know how to ‘copy’and not create. They’re afraid to get a good controversy going which Rosie O’Donnell has proven is what brings ratings, they’re not hungry. Stephen Wyman is one of the few I’ve met who wants to be cutting edge. He fought for me, but his hands were tied—one good public scandal and I was kicked to the curb. Can you imagine that? A real life soap character turned away from writing a soap opera because she’s shocking, different and interesting to the press. MTV would have never let me go! I swear to God—if they cancel “Days of Our Lives”, I will never forgive Kevin Reilly. Never! …

• Members

No. I'm actually completely dense. These posters are all unique and different!

It is way too early in the morning for this [[email protected]#$%^&*]. Assuming you actually do have questions about the woman, ask Kenny or one of the mods, nobody else. This place has the security of a wet paper bag, it always did.

• Members
LOL!!!!

You sound just like the old men that are killing off the soaps.

What's so shocking about an ex-soap writer winning a literary award?

LMAO!!!!!

Do tell.

I think the mock "shock" has more to do with the poster and the content of this thread going hand-in-hand than the idea of a soap writer winning an award.

• Members
I think the mock "shock" has more to do with the poster and the content of this thread going hand-in-hand than the idea of a soap writer winning an award.

Kennylicious,

If I'm not mistaken, this board allows everyone here to post ANONYMOUSLY.

So if you're implying that I'm Vola--then why would that be anybody's business if I was?

Brad Bell visits this board and interacts here, is he to be dragged out and shitted on whenever

people like you turn white as a sheet because you suspect you're having a chat with Lucy?

How very childish.

This is the United States....EVERYONE....has a right to post here anonymously.

If people would worry about bringing talented people to these dying soaps and stop

KNIT-PICKING over meaningless nonsense that's not even important, maybe we could

get somewhere in this industry.

The fact is very talented passionate people are being turned away by TPTB and it

kind of explains the sorry state of the soaps.

I could care less what Vola Voof posts on an internet board, especially since everybody in town

does it but get to enjoy their anonymous status, what I want is to see her on one of these writing teams.

Where she obviously belongs.

• Members
Where she obviously belongs.

ChangedBySon - YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT with what you posted ^^^. Why should it matter where "VV" has posted. For me, after reading her interview posted above - esp the portion in red - (thanks, Slyph), I wonder why she's not writing in daytime any longer.

This is a woman who is obviously PASSIONATE about what she does. She is a proven GREAT writer. She has WONDERFUL, THOUGHT-PROVOKING ideas. What is wrong with TPTB?!?!?

Personally, I wouldn't give a crap if a name like hers appeared after the credits of my GL. Knowing who she is now, I'd probably jump for joy, but that's another story. It doesn't matter to me if the person writing the show is black, white, purple or orange. What matters to me is a good story - well written and well-thought out. If the person with the pen is such a writer, then who am I to worry about their nationality, skin color, sexual orientation or sex....

Look who GLs got now - a cute white man in the head writer's seat. And "writer" is a term I would use very very very loosely to describe DK. He's horrible. He doesn't deserve to be associated in the same FIELD as VV.

How can we get her for GL?

Archived