GH's Production Values

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Did I say he was attacking me publicly?

Hes attacking MY soap however and I have a right to feel insulted and offended by his comments. Its okay if he doesn't like GH. Not everyone in the world has to. But theres no need for him to attack it and call it crap....

Cuz the truth is that its not crap for the millions of viewers who watch it each and everyday. Viewers like me who know how great a show it is and look forward to it each day.

But if we're going to be rude like that about each and every soap that doesn't please us then I'll definitely keep his comments in mind the next time I see the garbage that ATWT spews out when it comes to Noah and Luke yet is being heralded as "the best couple on daytime"

• Members

Ryan is a long time GH fan and he has every right to say what he thinks of the show and the direction its going in. This is a public message board, where debate is essential, we encourage more than one point of view. You don't agree with it, fine, but Ryan is a GH fan, who is simply stating his thoughts on the current condition of the show.

What about people who watch out of loyalty and don't find the current condition of the show amusing? Do their opinions not count?

Go ahead, state what you think about ATWT and its storylines. No one is denying you that right.

• Members

Still doesn't give him the right to call someone elses work crap.

Let him go and make his own soap and when it beats GH in the ratings and is critically acclaimed as the best soap ever or one of the top soaps in existence then he has a right to talk about GH.

As for the last part I never said everyone who watches the show everyday has to like it. However I do think most people who watch everyday do like it.

If you're watching a show and you don't like it it sounds pretty stupid to me...why not do something productive with your time? Or go find something that umm you actually like doing?

You mention loyalty....but if you think somethings crap and you bash it each and every day it doesn't sound like its something you're loyal to...at least to me.

Anyways I'm off to bed. My main point is that I've been watching ATWT for a while and while I may not like some of the stuff thats going on storywise I still don't go around calling ATWT crap or bs or any other derogatory word I can think of out of respect for its viewers....

I"d think others would do the same for other soaps.

• Members

Well if the shoe fits then I say go for it! GH of right now is a joke to the genre and is certainly not in the same vision as the creators (forgot their names) as well as Wendy Riche and Claire Labine. They all envisioned GH as a family oriented soap that dealt with serious social issues and also had people to root for and was full of loving romances (I may have not liked Sonny/Brenda but millions of others did....I did like Luke/Laura, Stone/Robin, Alan/Monica under Labine) and a sense of humor along with people caring for each other. Right now, GH is just a spin off of either The Sopranos (a truly gifted show) or The Godfather where the mob people rule and are the heroes...years ago, the heroes were the actual crimefighting people who would save others' lives. On Guza's GH, the people of Port Charles worship Sonny and his beloved braindead Ho feeding sidekick Jasbot. The mob has taken over and made it into one majorly gloomy show all headed by a hack EP and a hack head writer. Even JFP said that GH is about the mob...funny because I thought it was about the HOSPITAL! After all, the name is General Hospital, not General Mafia. Nobody has rooting value anymore, the show has been sucked dry by Super Skank Spam McCallgirl, dumbass Barney Fife dufus Lucky, Holier Than Thou Elizabeth, dangerous and dull Sonny and Jasbot....this show centers most, if not, all of its stories around a select group of people and omits most of the cast from great storytelling when those are the characters most people want to see.

Sure many fans tune into GH daily but not all of them are satisfied with what is going on but they hang in there since they feel the show can get better again and it is a habit that is hard to break. Fans stick through their shows through the good and bad....and GH has been bad since The Wicked Witch of the West Jill Farren Phelps invaded and butchered yet another show. Her track record (Santa Barbara, Another World, Guiding Light, One Life to Live, and now General Hospital) speaks for itself and I just hope they keep her far way from my soap, All My Children. AMC has a hack arleady in Julie Hanan Carruthers but I will take her over The Wicked Witch of the West.

• Members

According to the first amendment, he has that right, just like you have the right to not read it or to say you do not agree...it doesn't mean either one of you is right and wrong. It's just your opinions and they don't match.....and again if the shoe fits because I think GH is awful and has been since Phelps started her reign of terror.

• Members

I rarely reply to you, but...

GH is much more than just about a hospital. Referring to it as such is a simplistic way of describing The Hursley's show. I have always thought GH was primarily about health & sickness in its many forms. Financial (working class Webbers & Eckerts/rich & upscale Quartermaines/rich & treacherous Cassadines), emotional (Carly's revenge against Bobbie/Ric & Sam's adultery), physical, sexual (Steve & Audrey's marriage/Monica & Rick's adulterous affairs), mental (Laura & Lesley's catatonic conditions), spiritual, political, moral (law enforcement-Scorpios/mob-The Smiths/Sonny/Jason/Alcazar)

JFP was very good at Santa Barbara, good at GL, bad at AW, horrible at OLTL, okay at GH.

JHC over JFP? :o JHC does not strike me as the type of person who is a b-buster. TV Executive producers should be b-busters, not roll-overs. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

• Members

And I rarely reply to you (I'm still getting over "telephone operators will forever be employed" ::shudder:: ), but...

All of those aspects are nice, however, the focal point was the hospital. Everything and everyone, ideally, should be linked to the hospital. The central characters should be the hospital staff (doctors, nurses, residents, student nurses, med students, orderlys, even maintanence workers), and then other characters (outside of the hospital) should be connected to them. The stories should be centered on the hospital, and then trickle down to its employees and the effects it has on their professional and personal lives and the people in them.

It's backwards, now. Now, it's about the mob, and how that affects Sonny and Jason, and the trickle down effect to the select characters that are somehow connected to them.

It's like naming a show WKRP in Cincinnati, and having the majority of the show take place in a bar somewhere in Boston. Are we watching WKRP or are we watching Cheers? In this case, are we watching General Hospital or the Sopranos?

What goes on in the mob with Sonny and Jason shouldn't dictate what happens at the hospital with Robin and Patrick. What goes on in Carly's hotel/mob loving life shouldn't determine how much story, say, Bobbie gets.

• Members
That may have been true before, but GH has put the Hospital back in General Hospital over the past year. Look how many hospital staff the show has? Robin, Kelly, Noah, Lainey, Patrick, Epiphany, Dr. Ford, Ms. Sneed, Regina, Leyla, Nadine, Leo, Andy, Liz, Emily, Georgie, Maxie, not to mention Bobbie and Monica (but I know those 2 arent seen). We've had plenty of hospital related storylines centered aound these characters over the past year and a good portion of the show revolved around it. And of course the addition of NS only reinforced that and we have those characters crossed over.

• Members

Having Hospital employees is still only part of it. We still have Sonny/Jason and the mob idolized as the good guys on the show, when in reality the mob shouldn't be. As far as those that work in the hospital Dr. Ford, Ms Sneed, Kelly, Noah, Lainey, Regina, Layla, Nadine, Leo, Andy, Georgie and even Emily are barely seen. Patrick and Robin are becoming sparser with each passing week. Yeah its great to have a hospital staff, but the stories have to be there as well.

Archived