GH's Production Values

• Members

Is it just me or are GH's production values looking rough...really rough. The lighting is bad, like some of the worst overexposure I've seen in a long time and the sets look so cheap and flimsy.

Jill Farren Phelps, love her or hate her and say what you will about her, has always had immaculate taste in sets, costumes, music and lighting. She does big glamour soaps like almost no one else.

Either GH's budget is lower than many of us likely believe or JFP has become a husk of her former self on the set.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Could be just that she's a shitty EP....

Or the fact that GH blows through it's budget before the end of the year and can't afford to improve the quality of the show. When you have people with a 2-3 episode a week guarantee, and they're on every damn day, you run out of money.

GH is crap from top to bottom.

• Members

JFP without power is a good thing...the problem is the one who has her power (Frons) is just as bad, if not, worse than her. But her being powerless is rather good given her crap tenure on soaps starting from SB (I still don't think she did good there even though people say she did) and all the way up to GH. Sure she might have nice sets and all but I expect an EP to have a clear vision for a soap and put on well written storylines for the viewers, not just worry over the sets and the lighting. JFP is bad at storytelling and does not really have the best direction for soaps' storylines. Now if GH were to hire Felicia Minei Behr as EP, they would see rapid changes since FMB knows what she is doing and she would put Frons in his place.

• Members

You know, Wendy Riche might not have been as flashy in terms of cosmetic values like JFP, Ed Scott, and Paul Rauch. However, she more than made up for it with her creative vision. If she hadn't come to GH in the 90's, I don't think the show would've thrived as it did back then. She kept that show grounded and never took crap from Guza. Damn, I miss her! She really needs to come back to daytime soon.

• Members

Wendy Riche could really help one of the ABC soaps whether it be back at GH or she goes to the East Coast to work on AMC and OLTL. She was definitely great with storytelling and managed to transcribe what was written down onto the screen and pull it off as classic soap. GH was at its best under her and Claire Labine. It was even better than the 1980s GH. I found in the 80s GH relied too much on the action adventure storylines to keep it popular. Yes sure it was a good soap but just overhyped during that period....with Riche and Labine, it was about social issues, romance, and family.

• Members

LOL Cheap!

For me, the lighting for GH has always been bad for me since the second or third year JFP was on the show. Today it's REALLY bad. OLTL beats both AMC and GH IMO for production quality.

The mentioning of Wendy Riche and Lorraine Broderick brought the idea of the two possibly working together. Just like Labine, Broderick loves to write romance, social issues, and family. I think the two would be a absolute dream team on GH. Too bad that would never happen, at least with Frons at the helm.

Archived