DAYS: NBC promo for the week of October 12

• Members

As much as I totally disagree with this storyline, the scenes look well put together. I love that they are doing a location shot. It's been so long since we've had one of those. As much as I don't want this storyline to be about Sami, I think it's going to be. And as much as Sami should be involved during this tragedy, being John's stepdaughter, I think the writers are going to go overboard and decrease Marlena and Belle's reaction, and make it all about Sami, and that is where they will lose people.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

We also have no idea it will all revolve around Sami but, in a way, it should. I think we all knew this would stem from the Dimera drama, which involves Sami. As long as Marlena grieves and gets airtime I could care less if Sami drives alot of the story. She is his stepdaughter anyway.

Everything else does, esp J&M's lives, why would THIS be different. She's his daughter who loathed him for the last decade + of her life, Marlena is the partner, best friend, wife/love and soulmate who was the sole person standing by him for the last 21 years.

But it shouldn't revolve around Sami and Belle. When JOHN dies, HALF of JOHN and Marlena, it should focus on the other half's grief.

Bingo!

• Members

I guess Michael wants her to become the moral figurehead of the show. You know, the one everyone runs to for advice, the that's considered the most upstanding citizen in Salem, etc...

Though, that role should belong to Alice, but she's never used. Whenever Maggie's used (which is like 5 seconds a year), she kind of has that role as well.

I don't know, I personally think Marlena should be driving story, while the moral figurehead should always be a Horton.

However, I could be totally wrong at what Michael's trying to get at. LOL!

• Members

I've always said that the show lacks something when Marlena's not on. It lacks the emotional compass and the heart its had in the past. Even through the sci-fi era, there was heart and soul that came from IMO, Marlena and Alice.

I want Marlena to drive this story as she should be if there was any logic or intelligence among the powers that be.

• Members

You are right. But from Corday´s standpoint it wouldn´t make any sense to give John any meaningfull role before he is killed. If DH is really fired and isn´t coming back, the show wants people to forget him as soon as possible not remind them he is an important character and making him more fans. This is the standart way Corday deals with departures. He did it with Jack and J/J last year, and he is doing it with John and J/M now.

• Members

There's no comparison between the two exits. J&J were given their own 2-3 week adventure arc which reminded many fans of their classic 89-91 era. It included lots of references to their history, a His Girl Friday fantasy and a love scene in a cave! TPTB even brought back Anne Schoettle to write their final script. I was furious that they fired Matt under the guise of a "happy ending" for J&J but had few complaints about the actual send-off. John's death appears to be nothing more than a 3-4 episode plot device in Sami's story. Even by DAYS standards, it's an outrageous way to write out a 20 year old vet and core character.

• Members

Yeah, but that last adventure didn´t make any sense and was obviously made up at the last moment and because the show had only an interim writer Corday probably didn´t care much. Sheffer and Scott seems to have a full control over the show now and they know what their vision is or what Sony wants the show to be and unfortunatelly it doesn´t seem to include any vets. And I´m not talking about those few weeks, I´m talking about the entire year before. Corday ALWAYS backburners characters he plans to get rid off because he believes when they are not on, people forgets them and will easily accept their departure. And to be fair, in some way it works. Most J/J´s fans left the show months before they really left. And I´m sure the same is true for J/M fans.

• Members

Yes, Sami has become the central focus of the show, and it makes sense that a character in her early 30s, who has been with the show for the last 15 years should be the focus. The problem is that the focus should not be taken away from characters like Marlena and Hope. If John's death results in huge story, and puts Dee back on the frontburner, I think this will be a success. It is pretty crappy that John and Marlena haven't been on all summer, and that John's death won't pack the same punch, because of that. Also, it shocks me that Drake has been treated so horribly, considering how loyal he has been to the show. Saying all that, he gets paid a lot of money, isn't a good actor, and I'm glad that DAYS isn't rewarding poor performances anymore. Also, as much as I enjoy the EJ and Sami dynamic, I';m not quite sure how I can root for EJ anymore if he is responsible for this. But this is causing all sorts of reactions, so maybe, it's a good story after all. But Marlena MUST take center stage now, sharing the focus with Sami and Belle through this story. It should have huge ramifications and it can NOT be another fake death

• Members

And yet it was still there. I mean at that point, what on the show did make sense? It was still there.

True enough, yet I'll stand by my refusal of acceptance of this way of doing business. I seem to remember Steve and Kayla not having that much of a storyline the summer before Steve died, and yet he was still in the top ten for episodes that year. It's just getting to ridiculous proportions and I don't feel it's in any way morally superior to take whatever TPTB dish out just 'cause it makes us less demanding. It also makes the show shitty. And it honestly doesn't matter to me that it was done before, this is not about fanbases all getting equally shitty treatment in an increasingly irrelevant plea for parity (which seems to me to be more about message board dynamics than about the show itself), this is about allowing TPTB to get away with it, period. There's a big picture here.

The ideal would be to run your show so that people tune in for the whole show and not just their favorites, so even when their favorites leave there is still something to tune in for. And then when their favorites do leave, don't punish them for having favorites. Give them the proportionate emotional follow-through and move on to tell more good stories. In the long run it's better customer relations. That Corday needs to hush fans up is just a side ailment of a bigger disease. Infinitely preferable would be to give those fans something to keep tuning in for despite their favorites' demise. Won't work with everybody, some people will still tune out when their favorites go, but the least TPTB could do is not run their show by principles that in the long run actively exacerbate that.

• Members

I like DH alot, both as a persona nd an actor. i think hes greatr at his role of John and i even liked him as Roman back in the day...

however, the char of John has brought Marlena down for many years, IMO. and IMO again, alot of it has to do with there outspoken loud fanbase. Marlena and Dee cant get a story with John it seems. and as much as i like drake and john, i actually dont think its gonna be some epic lost to Days. Hoepfullt the writers and the show do it correctly and then use Dee and give her a storyline.

as for Sami, i dont think this is all about her. I think its a part of the overall storyline that centers on Sami & EJ yes.. but i doubt its gonna just end with sami & ej. Im sure there will be more fallout and drama to come down the line.

It looks like its being well done, so im looking forward to it.

has Days announced that DH is leaving for shure? cuz in the spoilers i read after hes rundown he wake up in the hospital.

Archived