DAYS: Why Marlena being the diva is not the most glamourous?

• Members

You know Marlena is the diva of Days of our lives, but unlike the divas on other shows, she is not dressed looke one. If you like at the clothes i say Celeste & Kate and sometimes Maggie are the real divas, if you look at the clothes only.........................!.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Also many soap divas came on in the 80s. Not "copies" per se of Joan Collins' Alexis, but protegées. Marlena is from the 70s. It makes sense that she has the "professional woman/as good as a man/i ain't no girlie girl/all work and no play" fashion.

• Members

Yeah I agree...Marlena is a 70s woman and basically always will be. Deidre herself is also quite laid back and conservative (clothing wise) so it makes sense that it all translates into her style. That being said I don't actually think that Marlena is the 'diva' of DAYS, she's more the heroine...the 'divas' are definitely Kate and Celeste and to a lesser extent Maggie and Julie. Interestingly, most of the actresses on DAYS dress in real life as they do on the show so perhaps the costume department lets the actresses have their own say.

The 'diva' image comes down to what juppiter said regarding the 1980s and Joan Collins...the 'diva' image we have now is down solely to JC and her impact on prime time TV and daytime soaps. She and 'Dynasty' designer Nolan Miller really re-invented the soap 'diva' image.

• Members

Nolan Miller was also great friends with Deidre and she wore a lot of his designs, so I'd put that ALL on Joan Collins. Esp considering she dresses the same way now.

Marlena's style used to be pretty stuffy before though, then Deidre wanted to go more laid back so she changed it. More jeans, pants, shirts and sweaters instead of suits.

Archived