The Tennis Thread

• Members

According to his video statement, which went viral (the only reason why I even saw it as I don't follow him), he is getting the surgery to repair the knee so that he can have a good quality of life, be able to walk and play with his kids. This, according to his video, is his main concern. He said he hopes to be able to return to play but is being realistic. If overzealous fans are interpreting this statement in any other way, they are conflating the issue and misinterpreting his statement.

Fans need to know when to let these players make their own decisions and stop trying to read tea leaves. Retirement is inevitable, let people come to their own awareness. At least it's not as if he's Jack Sock, doing nothing for years, while still getting WCs.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I think the fact that he actually still hopes to return to the tennis court says it all. It's obviously his decision and his body, but if it was me, and I had to have surgery to be able to function normally in the future and be able to walk when I grew older, the mere thought of returning to professional tennis would not be very high on my list.

I can't possibly claim to understand how someone who's devoted him-/herself to something would feel if they were forced to quit doing that something prematurely. But at the same time, I can't begin to understand how, when your future health is on the line and you've achieved as much as Roger Federer has, you'd even entertain the idea of going back to that which is the cause of your health issues in the first place.

I'm sure he loves playing tennis, just like Nadal loves it and Murray loves it, but is it worth risking your future? I wonder how much of it is down to this media- and fandriven race to be regarded as the GOAT.