The Tennis Thread

• Members

This was on Yahoo! Sports earlier in the week. I was debating whether to post it here and decided not to because back then it was still speculative, even though I was on the side of believing it. It mentioned that she would announce during the tournament in Wuhan but perhaps she just wanted to get it over and done with because of all the speculation and rumors?

The knee issue is very unfortunate. I didn't know she'd had 4 surgeries!ohmy.pngsad.png That just goes to show you what a grind the sport can be on the body! The ones who can endure and remain competitive are not only fortunate but it must be something of another full time job for them to keep fit and prepared for these tournaments.

I do wonder about the other Women tennis players from China and the effect this could have on them. Tennis is an individual sport but Li was clearly a breakthrough in China and her star status cleared the path for other Chinese women tennis players, not just culturally but financially-- Li, I understand, was the 1st Chinese player to insist that she and other players get to keep more of their winnings, in the past the Chinese government used to keep 80% of a players earnings. Li, also, I think, was the first to insist that she be allowed to choose her own coach (I think the Chinese Sport Ministry used to select the coaches in the past).

While I'm sure Li cast a long shadow, others Chinese tennis players probably got more support and more, dare I say it? freedom from the Chinese government because she stood up.

Her personality and humor will be missed. And she gave many players very hard times on the tennis court.

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Soapsuds

• Faulkner

• DramatistDreamer

• ChitHappens

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Folks were trying to spoil it for her and make Li's retirement their news. This was being speculated by Davenport a few months ago. She hinted at it, but said nothing further when pushed by Haber. He's such a gossip but I love him!

Retiring at 33 with tens of millions of dollars in the bank? We all should be so lucky. And Li was set to retire a few years ago but changed her mind. Good thing she did because look at what she has accomplished since. The woman has the Asian market in her back pocket, so she's all good!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Great for Vicky! Hopefully, it is gone for good and it will be a great and successful life & career for her going forward.

On another note:

I guess Fabio Fognini won't have to worry about writing a speech for that Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award anytime too soon.rolleyes.gif

http://espn.go.com/tennis/story/_/id/11657068/fabio-fognini-throws-tantrum-gives-obscene-gesture-shanghai-crowd-loss

Luckily for him, most of the hot tempered tennis players have retired but one day he might meet up with a new breed of tennis player who may punch him in his face and take the punishment just to put him in his place. He's been getting away with this crap a few too many times now.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Yes maybe when he gets into the "old" tour, he'll misbehave and someone will belt him one. This is ridiculous, being rude to the umpire I can somewhat understand, but as long as the crowd isn't yelling expletives at him, he shouldn't do that.

• Members

I knew it! Even before the split between Murray & Lendl was confirmed, I just knew Berdych would be getting his hopes up. Lendl seems to know his stuff but other than the Czech connection I wonder if they would be compatible? Lendl must have changed his mind? I got the impression he wanted to do less coaching. Maybe Lendl thinks he can make it work.

The Asian Autumn Circuit is quickly becoming the tournaments of attrition this year. Injuries, fatigue, viral infections...

• Members

IMO he took too long to try to get Lendl. Everyone from Brad Gilbert to Darin Cahill to Martina Navartilova to me...lol...have been telling him to get Lendl as his coach...this before Andy got him as a coach...but is it too late for Berdych now to win a major with Lendl????

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I watched some of the unfortunate coverage from Moscow online and saw that the Kremlin Cup is far from the tournament it once was.

Does anyone know what happened to Dominica Cibulkova? It seems like ever since she got to the Finals at Oz, the rest of her year went downhill. I saw some of her match and watched her lose to a Russian player, who at 25, had never before even qualified to get into the tournament before this year. And oh, Domi was the top seed. Between the empty seats, the scanty applause and the awful final set, I got the impression that Dominica just wanted to hustle on outta there and grab her check on the way to the airport.

• Members

Sad but not surpising that the Wiliams Sisters are still getting hate and vitriol at this stage in their careers. I thought Tarpischev had class...clearly I must stop giving people the benefit of the doubt:

http://espn.go.com/tennis/story/_/id/11718876/russian-tennis-federation-president-shamil-tarpischev-sanctioned-serena-venus-williams-gender-comments

I am disgusted.

Edited by DramatistDreamer