DAYS: Should Hogan Be Replaced?

• Members

I have almost lost all my passion, for my favorite soap Days of our Lives. I can barely watch. If I turn on the TV to watch it can keep tuned in. It is so boring to me. I am tired of seeing the 4 of the biggest stars reading love letters. Hope, Bo, John, Marlena should not be setting around reading love letters they should have their own storyline. I hate the Colleen/Santo love story. I hate horny Lucas and Sami.The only story line that I like is the Steve/Kayla/Pocket story line.

I really feel that Hogan Sheffer should be replaced. I do adore JER, but he probably isn't the best replacement because I know many many fans hate his writing. I really feel that Sheri Anderson and Jer combination would be a good co headwriting team again. Or better yet Brash/Cwickly I loved them, and many fans loved them too. I am a little affraid of a head writer change with Corday in charge I shutter to think about Dena Higley or Tom Langan again.

Do you guys think he should be replaced? Who should replace him? Is it to late to get the ratings back up?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Really, Hogan isn't this big savior everyone thought he would be a year ago. I look back on those cocky posts like "B&B better watch out, because Days is going to be the #2 soap soon!" and laugh my ass off. However, it's not all his fault, but he could indeed fix the predicament the show is in. At ATWT, Hogan was surrounded by writers who knew the history of that show and had a history of writing for that show. On Days, he hired a lot of newbie writers, most of whom have never written for the show. That right there is deplorable and should never be done by any head writer. Outside of tweaking, I don't see Ed Scott having a major role in the writing department at Days either, we shouldn't get our hopes up thinking he can "save" this show, we saw what that kind of mentality got us in the long-run with Hogan.

What Days needs is a writing team with writers who know this history of the show and have written for it before. If Hogan keeps hiring new writers to the show, who've never written for it, I can only expect things to get worse.

I don't see Days recovering in the ratings and getting back where they used to be, but that has nothing to do with the quality of the show. With Days soon being the only soap on NBC and switching timeslots in a lot of markets, that alone will hinder the show from progressing in the ratings-race. Though, pretty sad that Days went from rivaling GH and B&B, to rivaling GL and Passions.

• Members

I don't think he should be replaced. I just think he needs a much stronger Co-HW than Meg Kelly. His best work at ATWT was with Carolyn Culliton who knew the history of the show, and I think he needs someone like that at DAYS, like Beth Milstein, Sofia Landon Geier, or Paula Cwikley.

• Administrator

Hey, we had a valid point! :) Hogan/Meg's first 3 months rocked. DAYS was on the right track and then all of a sudden......down the drain! It just go so bad, so fast.

I blame it on Hogan/Meg for telling bad stories and Corday/Wyman for just being complete idiots when it comes to running a show.

Well to be fair, sometimes new writers to the show do know the show's history. But yeah, I do think letting go Peter Brash, Jeanne Ford, and Sofia L. Geier was a big mistake.

Should Hogan be replaced? I don't know. I have soft spot for Hogan even though he's made big mistakes. I do think he'll do better working with Ed Scott. I also think he needs stronger Co-HW. I was so surprised when I found out Meg Kelly was his co-HW because Meg's only had script writing experience.

• Members

YES! I just posted in the ratings thread that I can't believe that he's still there when just about every story he's written has been a bomb. I would love for Sheri Anderson to be on the writing team. Is it too late? I think it may be.

• Members

Exactly! October-December of last year were excellent, and in many respects, the closest DAYS has come to flawless in I don't know how many years. If Hogan had kept writing or had been able to keep writing the show like that, I seriously doubt we would have the ratings we do today.

• Members

Absolutely not.

Who to replace him with? Sheri Anderson? This is a whole different era, Phoenix has also pointed this out she was writing when supercouples were more so fresh. I am not sure if she would work this time around, or if even the eighties writers would work.

I wonder if Daytime perhaps needs...new blood, so to speak? No recycled writers, aspiring writers who know the show they love. Look at SONBC! Full of people with talent who know their show. I know not many want to go out and be an actual writer, but Corday is running out of options. There is not many people left.

Hogan just needs some good help to get things back on track, I feel. And that doesn't mean Corday on his back all the time. :rolleyes:

• Members

I honestly don't think he should be replaced. Maybe a Co-HW, but I don't think he should be replaced. He has the potential to bring DAYS back to it's glory. Also I don't think I can take another HW coming, more buzz like "The Plan to Save DAYS #9,000" and all that.

• Members

DAYS needs to stay as stable as it can right now, and yet another HW shift won't help with that. Hogan is capable. He loves going back and re-watching 80s episodes of DAYS and is very enthusiastic about the show which are great characteristics in a HW. He just needs a better writing team to support him. Why he ever got rid of Brash and Geier, I'll never understand.

• Members

Michael you made a good point and reminded me of how Days doesn't need another transition period. It was great but took up three months. We only did that a year ago, we shouldn't have to do it all over again now. It would make things even worse and it is unnecessary.

• Members

I think the sad thing is, Days is still in a transitional period. It's been in one long transition for a year now. A lot of the stories aren't fleshed out, many plot points are missing, and a lot of core characters have lost their core characteristics. I agree with Hogan needing a stronger Co-head writer who has history with the show, that's the only way I see a total surge in quality.

• Administrator

Ed Scott needs to tell him that he needs to write for John, Marlena, Bo and Hope. Hogan needs to realize that they must be in front burner storylines. You absolutely cannot have them sitting around reading freakin letters!! If Hogan doesn't like writing for them, then that's too bad. Force him to write for them or bring in a Co-HW who will write for them.

• Members

I think what really happened is that Days fans are too fickle for their own good. Way too many people got horny over him and well, this is how Hogan writes. He wrote ATWT in the same fashion, with a mix fantastic storylines, and some pretty big clunkers.

If people hadn't treated him like he was the ultimate godsend of gold, people's expectations wouldn't have crashed so hard like they did.

Archived