DAYS: Should Hogan Be Replaced?

• Members

Well, I must admit I saw this thread coming at some point. I feel the same as you do, and after reading the fall previews, it looks as if his stories aren't going to get any better. I'll tell ya, I like to remain positive about the future, positive about DAYS turning over a new leaf. I remained so when Sheffer first came on and it seemed as though we were heading in a great direction. That was November. Here it is, August 2007 and I have yet to be impressed or amazed by anything he has done so far. He first started off writing for characters that I didn't care about at all, which was said to be due to the budget, yet even with vets on my screen now, these non-acting newbie teens fill up almost all the airtime. Even if the budget was part of the shift of focus to certain cast members, that still is no excuse for the inconsistent writing and weak storylines we have gotten. I have no problem watching a story with new characters unfold, but they have to *act* and the story has to be the least bit interesting. If Willow or Gaby or Duck was what they could afford, well then Sheffer should have wrote the s**t of their stories, or at the very least got better actors. IMO, these new characters suck and the actors that play them make it even worse. Yet, they are getting all of this focus.

Then we have the infamous returns of fan favorites. Stefano, Anna, and "Tony", what a treat I thought. It all turned out to be a big dud. I have also noticed Sheffer going the mafiosa route with the DiMera's, which I only remember them being somewhat dark and nefarious. Not engaging in little "Soprano-like" spats in the living room everyday, with Stefano slapping folks. I hardly remember Stefano's presence. Then they discovered Tony was really Andre, in a somewhat convoluted albeit non-suspenseful twist, then they rushed to get him off this island he has been on for 20 years all in the space of 3 days. Anna is just great, and I wasn't even born when she was prominent, yet everything substantial she does is off-screen apparently. She and Tony apparently just...picked up where they left off, although realistically this should be a bit more awkward. With that said, it seems all these characters are set in place to prop Sami, Lucas, and EJ in this DiMera/Brady vendetta thing.

Technically, on paper all of the stuff that has happened probably looked awesome. The execution, however, has been awful. Again, I glanced at the fall previews and did not see anything indicative of positive change, just summer redux. Im sorry to say, these safe, boring stories are not gonna grab anyones attention if DAYS is trying to stay here 2009. So I cannot wholeheartedly put my faith in Sheffer being the one to save DAYS if this is the kind of change he had in mind. I think a writer with a solid history of the show should be the one to save DAYS. Or maybe a co-head writer with a solid history and knowledge of the show. Should Sheffer be replaced? In my opinion, I don't know actually. Despite my opinion of Sheffer, I feel another headwriting change will do more harm than good at this point. The revolving door of headwriters doesn't seem to be good for soaps. I mean, the ratings have fell...the damage has been done. I don't think he could do any worse at this point. Yet, I do believe non-drastic changes need to be made, such as maybe a long-term story goal (which I feel Sheffer doesn't have) and much better stories/writing, obviously. Great dialogue and scenes can't makeup for these stories. A new co-writer with a heavier hand could do wonders as well. If TPTB did decide their last ditch effort was to replace him, my vote goes to Beth Milstein, the Cwiklys, or JER(with a co-writer of course). SIDEBAR: Yes, haha I hear the snickers with the last one...just being honest!!! :-P

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think Hogan did not understand what Days past was all about; he has freely admitted he had to watch tapes of the show just to see what the soap has been about. When he took over I thought Days would get away from the stupid sci-fi stuff and the over the top stuff its done in the past and tell stories more relevant. Instead we have gotten keys around peoples necks holdng secrets, zero romance at all, and characters changing weekly. I really had wished Hogan had told a socially relevant story with Benji for example and him dealing with being hearing impaired, or Maggie getting breast cancer and dealing with it, or something one of the more seasoned actors on the show could show their talents.

• Administrator

Yeah, when Hogan said he had to watch all those dvds...maybe we should've taken that as a bad sign. LOL

Maybe Corday should've hired someone who knew about the show's history (without watching DVDs!!) because they grew up watching the show and are big fans. There are some writers out there who fit that description and maybe they should've at least interviewed for the job!! Also, Corday could've saved so much money by hiring a less expensive writer than Hogan.

• Members

Great post. I too have lost my passions for Days. I really thought when Hogan came aboard happy days were here again, but boy where we let down. At this point, I don't know who could write for this show. But I tell you what. I would demote Sheffer asap and restore Brash and Cwickly as interim until someone else is found. I keep hearing about Sherri Anderson I would try to get her. I don't even know what kind of show is or supposed to be anymore so there fore I can't rack my brain on who should be writing this show.

Then we have the infamous returns of fan favorites. Stefano, Anna, and "Tony", what a treat I thought. It all turned out to be a big dud. I have also noticed Sheffer going the mafiosa route with the DiMera's, which I only remember them being somewhat dark and nefarious. Not engaging in little "Soprano-like" spats in the living room everyday, with Stefano slapping folks. I hardly remember Stefano's presence. Then they discovered Tony was really Andre, in a somewhat convoluted albeit non-suspenseful twist, then they rushed to get him off this island he has been on for 20 years all in the space of 3 days. Anna is just great, and I wasn't even born when she was prominent, yet everything substantial she does is off-screen apparently. She and Tony apparently just...picked up where they left off, although realistically this should be a bit more awkward. With that said, it seems all these characters are set in place to prop Sami, Lucas, and EJ in this DiMera/Brady vendetta thing.

This is what I have been screaming. This is not how the Diemras act. All this inbred fighting. It's clear Hogan doesn't get this show

I wonder if Daytime perhaps needs...new blood, so to speak? No recycled writers, aspiring writers who know the show they love. Look at SONBC! Full of people with talent who know their show. I know not many want to go out and be an actual writer, but Corday is running out of options. There is not many people left.

Yea but when New writers come on the fans even here at SON bash them. I agree that it's too late in the game for Days to get another head writer. Like evryone else said, he needs a stronger co head writer

• Members

I don't think he should because he hasn't been on that long and perhaps with Ed Scott now coming on he will improve with him helping out behind the scenes so I say give him another six months or so...if it doesn't look up, then perhaps find a new head writer (maybe Kay Alden?)

• Members

Thank you, daysfan :)

I love Sheri and she would be ideal as a co-HW but she is from a different era. Look what happened when JER returned. His storytelling worked on Days the first time but this time he was way off for the majority of it. Sheri was around when the supercouples were up and coming and fresh. She has unlimited possibilities. Now, what is there for them to do? Days is lucky to have so many vets but it's also a hindrance in that they have been through so much it's hard to do something new and creative without breaking them up.

The problem is Days has fanbases who refuse to let the HW write. For instance, you have J&M fans who want their couple frontburner and happy. They want frequent love scenes but also do not want them torn apart over something. So, what is a HW to do? This goes for all fanbases. How many times can the big 4 battle Stefano before it gets old? How many times can Hope and Marlena be kidnapped? How many times can they be broken up? I want romance but if the fanbases want 3 days a week of the couples sucking face and spending quiet evenings together then this show is going nowhere. That won't bring ratings. It's too boring to bring ratings. The problem is Hogan is boxed in, even if Corday and co actually let him write. No matter who writes they can't do this and can't do that according to these fanbases. Maybe the fanbases need to just be patient and just watch a storyline unfold all the way before condemning it. The last 7 years has been nothing but fanbases complaining, resulting in Days backtracking and rewriting a story. That has watered down the show and created writing inconsistencies, along with the fact that it has set a precedent for the fanbases. They believe that Days will always cave and that is wrong.

Fans should always be listened to but the show also needs leeway to create compelling drama. They should not have to worry about catering to fanbases. They are influencing the writing too much and killing the show. The affair storyline in 1993 was one of the best stories in Days history IMO. If it were thought up in this era, it would never make it through. Roman/Marlena had a big fanbase, just like John/Marlena did. Yes, J&M fans were probably bigger at that point but it was kind of like EJAMI and LUMI. Anyway, the current situation at Days would have kept shifting story through the whole affair story. They would be too afraid to lean one way completely or the other and the result would be a wishy-washy mess. Plus, who knows if J&M would've come out on top.

We just don't get compelling stories like that anymore and that is the issue here. Hogan is not given much leeway from Corday and, when he gets it, the fanbases give him hell. I think with Ed on board the execution of things will improve and the show overall will benefit. I think Hogan will be better under him. However, Days needs to demote Meg Kelly and promote a co-HW with show knowledge to the position. Sheri would be fine IMO. They also need more former Days writers like SLG, Brash, etc on staff. Days started hurting when they left. Hogan is the man for the job but he needs help. There is really no one else better out there. Let's remember he also got a raw deal to start and now things are once again changing with Ed coming on. It's been one change after the other and that makes it hard.

I am hopeful for the future but Hogan should not be fired, nor do I think he will be. The show does not need another HW transition. It has had enough and is going through enough with Ed coming. If JER can be given 3 years to put the show in the gutter, Hogan can be given more time to save it IMO.

• Members

For the longest time, even as I bashed Hogan, I did not want him gone because I didn't want DOOL to have to go through YET ANOTHER transition.

But now?

I want him gone.

The EJ ice truck debacle was the character destruction that broke the camel's back for me.

Daytime is not about seduction as Hogan Sheffer espouses on IWTBASS. At least DAYS OF OUR LIVES is not. It's about ROMANCE. That thing that women want and of which men like Hogan have no understanding. The flowery speeches, the longing looks, the random acts of kindess, the subtle touches, the noble sacrifices, the adventure and excitement and thrill of a first kiss and the agony and despair and devastation of a love lost. It's not about titilation. It's not about shock for shock's sake. It's not about teenage kids hanging out on the beach or 30-year-old married couples pretending they are teenagers playing pranks on each other. It's not about hookers. Or rape accusations. Or sexual harassment. It's about ROMANCE.

And would it kill him to give Bo and Hope or John and Marlena a storyline? What does he have against these couples? Are they damaged goods because JER did so much with them? I just don't get it.

• Members

ICAM. The closest thing we've seen to Romance recently, IMO, was Santo and Colleen on Wednesday - right down to him taking off her shoes. I swear I half expected him to kiss her foot when he took that first shoe off, and I wouldn't have minded one bit if he had! It is exactly what you said Aremid: the build up, the touches, the loving someone so much it hurts, getting lost in one another's eyes - and only having eyes for each other. When you almost feel like you're intruding just by watching but the passion is so intense you can't look away. Seduction, yes, but romance and passion too. And it's most surely not about grabbing, groping, pre-teen sex talk and things that come off like two dogs in heat! Sami trying to convince EJ she wanted the babies to be his - a strong woman sure of herself and her sexuality and pulling her man in with the tone of her voice and the look in her eyes - THAT was romantic and sizzling hot! Bo and Hope dancing while Doug played the piano was also romantic.

So SOMEONE DOES know how to write romance, or we wouldn't have been given those scenes, but they are too few and too far between and we mainly get trash where characters seem to have to tell us how hot they are or how much in love they are. If this was a book, I wouldn't mind that, but it's not, so I expect to SEE it - and I know the majority of Days cast is more than capable of portraying it!

Phoenix you made a very good point when you mention the '93 affair storyline - esp tying it to EJami and Lumi, and fact is that Days HAS BEEN shifting back and forth and giving us a wishy-washy mess! Between that and the inconsistencies and character flipping, it's been maddening! And I agree that Days shouldn't focus on one couple or one group especially at the expense of the vets.

I think I'm in the minority when it comes to Sheffer. I can honestly say I didn't start to like his writing at all until sometime in mid to late April, and even since then it's been very up and down with some days being brilliant and others being pathetically bad. For whatever reason the DiMera days seem to be the strongest, and I seriously don't think I'm seeing it this way just because I love them. There are other characters I love too, and most of the time they are also better when they're on during a DiMera day. I don't, however, think Sheffer is the problem - at least not with that aspect of the show.

Honestly, right now I don't know if he should be replaced because I'm willing to see how the recent changes will impact the show. I like the idea of a different co-head writer to help balance Sheffer out: Beth M? Sheri? I don't know, but I'd think a woman who knows the history of the show, understands the concept of romance and drama and who's willing to reign him in if he goes off on a tangent would help a lot. At the very least it doesn't seem it would hurt.

• Members

I never thought it about romance. I think it needs to be about CHARACTERS.

Who knows what Days is about anymore. But IMO it should be about characters and not people getting together. Yeah you brought up some good points, and yes Days is romanced-centered. But I think Hogan needs to write about characters and not couples. Write for some romance, that should have some role in it, but I think he neds to write good character-driven stories, and not exactly story or romance-driven.

I really am beginning to think there is more to this than we know...

One thing I think that Hogan needs to implant is what Days is about. Because people have changed it's identity so many times.... :(

• Members

Dena already wrote for DAYS...I don't think they will take her back. And even if she did go back, well Hogan wouldn't have a chance with her there. There's a reason why Dena has never had a co head writer. The co head would be found lying face down in the San Joaquin River with a knife in his/her back within a week

If McTavish does head write another soap, I hope she invites Cameron Mathison over to it so she can write him as a superhero pontificating arse there since he is her personal hero. She is probably salivating at the thought of being Megan Mathison....and it would get rid of the stench from him on AMC

Archived