AMC: Who wrote the Libitizone storyline?

• Members

Quite possibly the WORST storyline in AMC's 37 year history.

It ruined an already ruined Hayley and Mateo... it decimated Tad and Dixie with the beginning of psychotic Leslie which dominated the show for months.

I am sorry. I saw nothing good come out of that storyline.

Thank goodness Jean only had the pen solo for like 8 months!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I remember at the time not finding alot of the antics even that amusing because I was like OMG this is so utterly ridiculous and stupid. It was shortly after that I tuned out for like 5 months because I just could take the madness.

God Sylph you are dredging up my WORST AMC memories.

Leslie, spider presents, Fake Laura....

God, Agnes must have really wanted to retire to leave her baby to that monster known as Jean Passanante.

And here we are 6 years later and she is still writing and still decimating shows. Has anyone watched ATWT lately? OMG!

ETA: Was Liza and Ryan in the bushes Jean as well????? Ok I think now I am going to be sick.

• Members

Passanante got a lot of flack because NOTHING MADE SENSE!

She made Shannon, Heather, Mindy and Marcus central characters, while Bianca played background. She brought in this corrupt, slackjawed police commissioner out of nowhere. She made Hayley impersonate Arlene after supposedly "killing" her by shoving her off the yacht during the Libidizone disaster -- and to add insult to injury, to prove Hayley didn't kill Arlene, Mateo flew to the Bahamas, found Arlene in some resort, got knocked out by Arlene managed to fly all the way back with Arlene to Pine Valley IN ONE EPISODE! In one scene, Tad's whining about Dixie and David and in the very next scene, David's at a massage parlor and Tad inexplicably shows up out of nowhere strangling David with a towel, and then waltzes out like nothing happened! I'm still trying to figure out who the people with the cameras were who barged in on Gabriel Devane and Rosa Santos at the Pine Cone. :unsure:

Everything happened OFF SCREEN! There was a fire at SOS at the end of Monday's episode, and the beginning of Tuesday's episode, it's the next day and everyone's TALKING ABOUT what happened during and after the fire -- which none of us got to actually SEE! Another OFF SCREEN example was when Shannon, Bianca, Mindy, Mork, Gidget, et al were at the beach, and Marcus was drowning and Gabriel went in to save him, and all you see is Bianca acting like a sportscaster: "Gabriel's going into the water to save Marcus! Oh no! The tide is pulling Marcus under! But wait! Gabriel's got Marcus! Marcus looks like he's not breathing! Wait! Gabriel's bringing Marcus back to shore! Here they come!" and still, we don't SEE any of this. It's just people TALKING about it.

Speaking of Gabriel, I am NOT even going to go there about how she created this horrific character of Gabriel Devane. The biracial love child of Alex and Anna Devane's father who was kept in a cage and called "dogboy."

Yeah. That bitch wrote very enjoyable storyline. ATWT is LUCKY to have her. :rolleyes:

• Members

Yes. That was weeks before she was "hired" by Chris Goutman to write on the staff of ATWT under Sheffer. She killed Gillian by shooting her in the head and giving her heart to Laura English, and having Ryan have Grief Sex with Liza and Mia, getting Liza pregnant -- while she was still married to Adam, of course.

But Liza was excused... because Adam just up and decided to have sex with Judge Campobello to get JR off of drug charges. :rolleyes: All of that garbage was horrible!

• Members

Co-Sign and thanks I actually still was successful in blocking some of that mess out, not now :lol:

Those bimbos Heather and Mindy and whoever were the worst! And yeah characters with no ties what so ever to Pine Valley and they are dominating a teen scene. Both Bianca and Erica were HEAVILY backburnered during Jean's reign of terror.

Seriously, McTavish and Jean come from the same lot but I can honestly sit here and say I wasn't completely turned off by everything Megan did, with Jean nothing she showed me during her solo stint made me enjoy AMC or even made me remotely want to continue watching.

As I said, that was the only time in my 14 years plus of viewing that I actually everyday stopped setting the tape. I would read recaps of watch if I was home but other than that nothing. I hated seeing my Tad and Dixie ruined yet again and it was so bizarre I couldn't even justify it. Dixie slutting around with David of all people. It was beyond disgusting! It even made me churn more to see David written like some obsessive needy fool. Thanks Megan McTavish for bringing that facet of David's character back last year.... at least he broke away from that only in time to be gone :( I miss David so much and the REAL David.

Tad cheating on Dixie with Liza those years previous at least made a lick of since due to their past histories. To me Dixie and David made ZERO sense.

Now I am officially on one of my JEAN IS A HACK tangents.

• Members

I had totally forgot that was all connected to Gillian's death. Yes killing so brutally Gillian just to prop psychotic Laura was a low point as well. I know Esta wanted to leave but talk about the most twisted exit scenario. Ryan and Gillian was such a popular couple and to end them like that with a slug to her brain......

• Members

Oh, tell me about it. For me it was twice as bad being a D&E fan and a T&D fan. I mean, a two weeks after David proposes to Erica, and a week after their break up, he's got his tounge down Dixie's throat, and he's telling her he's loved her since he first met her and that she's his first, always, and true love. :huh: Then JP gets the message that her [!@#$%^&*] stinks, and rather then fix it, she makes it worse by having D&E start finding their way back togethere, sleeping together, T&D taking baby steps...all the while having David chasing after Dixie, and Dixie batting her eyes at him. Gag me. She managed to slap three fan bases in the face at the same time, not to mention all the other [!@#$%^&*] that she was pulling to other couples and characters. She seriously f*cked things up, and never blinked an eye. A lot like Megan. LOL

• Members

Like I said, Jean, Megan, same lot.

If Jean was given more time I am sure she would have found some colossal way to spit on one of the show's social landmarks in terms of storytelling....

Megan had almost 4 years, where is Jean only had 8 months.

• Members
Shannon, Heather, Mindy and Marcus were not central characters. Out of those girls, Shannon was the one that was actually giving substance. The other two were merely there to support her and were a sounding board. Those teens were there to support Junior aka JR who was a main character. All their stories were centered around him and it was about propping him up which I had no problem with bc he was finally moving on to the teen scene. Laura was also heavily involved in that and she had history being Brooke's daughter. Only thing I hated there was that they made Laura a teen again even though she graduated years earlier.

Its been a while so I dont really remember much of that but I guess it wasnt too bad for me or else I would have

IA there. Gabriel was one of the worst characters

Yep, I enjoyed her storylines. I loved the stuff she did with JR and his teen scene; the libidizone stuff and whacky Leslie Coulson. I liked the Jake/Gillian romance and the triangle with Ryan even though it was inevitable she'd end up with him again. I then liked the beginnings of Jake and Greenlee. Leo and Greenlee were one of hte highlights I thought the Hayley as Arlene story was a good one with great potential, but fell flat bc they were afraid to take a risk there. Hayley never took a drink or slept around which was unlikely if she really thought she was Arlene. I wish they crossed the line there

• Members

I guess because I've been watching AMC regularly since the fifth grade (I used to come home from school and watch the tape my mother recorded). It was my only regular, every day soap from 1989 to 2000. And then SOAPNet came, and I started watching GH regularly in spring 2000.

I've tried to get into other shows, such as Y&R and ATWT in 2003... and Y&R again last year. But, it's just not the same. ABC has always been what's familiar to me. I associate watching the ABC line up with snow days, days off from school and summer vacation while growing up. Watching another network is like going over somebody else's house. It's different, it's interesting... ooh, look, they have a lemon zester...! But it's always better at home.

Archived