SOD Interview: Thaoo Penghlis

• Members

Tony DiMera is getting out of prison early and will be back in Salem on May 24. And if Thaoo Penghlis's web site (www.thaoopenghlis.com) - which got 20,000 hits in one week after the news broke on the 4/17 issue of Digest - is any indication the audience will welcome his return.

"There's been such a fan base that has been wanting the character back," observes the actor is taking his fifth trip back to Salem since creating the role of the Count in 1981.

"I feel like sometimes I'm put somewhere on the shelf where they can reach for me later in case they need me, whih is good. Someone said to me, " They're bringing in the big guns.' There are certain anchor characters that you know you can depend on to hook the audiene in. I think DiMeras are that way because they're kind of bigger than life."

Penghlis is looking forward to reteaming with Joseph Masolo (Stefano), with whom he last shared scenes in 1995. "I just did version of A Man for All Seasons and Joe came to see it. He said, 'Oh, it would be great if you and I could work together again.' From the beginning, the main thing with us has been the work. It's not about the paycheck; that will buy certain things, but in the end, Joe and I are old school."

He'll also be back on-screen with good pal Leann Hunley (Anna), who last appeared in 1986. "There is a special kind of connetion that I have with Leann," he says. "She's one of the great spirits that I ever known in my life. There's no hidden stuff in her loset that is ugly. She is who she is, something kind of wonderful."

Penghlis is curious to see how the show is differene under Head Writer Hogan Sheffer as opposed to former Head Writer James E. Reilly. "To be killed four times in one year, being pulled out of a sewer, landing in prison? This was not a writer who was showing love to me." he reflects. "This new writer seems very onfident. Hopefully, there will be some love, where I felt with the previous writer, love was always out of the picture. This is a writer I want to please, certainly, and help along."

Mainly, he just hopes it all goes well. "You can't always go back, but we're actors: we're supposed to be magicians." Penghlis says. "Hopefully, it'll help the show and excite people to come back because it's a good show annd they're wonderful characters."

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Way to throw in an anti JER jab Thaoo, he really did a number on your character the second time around....Tony never should have been the mastermind of the SK storyline...it just went downhill from there..I'm excited that Thaoo is so happy to back working with JM and LH..

• Members

Tony was annihalated under JER's last run, and in a many senses in his run before that too. I'm glad that Thaoo doesn't seem, at least here, like he is the one that is bringing the power to the character, he gives credit to Sheffer and says that he would like to please Sheffer. It should be a team effort between writers and all the actors. They really feel the DiMeras are going to bring life back into the show, but it must accompany the *writing*!! Despite the utter crap that was Tony we last saw, I am hoping for the best this time around.

Archived