DAYS: Kate Roberts...

• Members

Why has this character been so poorly written into a corner?

At one time, I loved her. She was my favorite character on the show! And despite still loving Lauren Koslow's flawless portrayal, it's time for the character of Kate Roberts to do something other than obsess over her children's love lives. She meddled in Austin's lovelife, she's meddled in Billie's lovelife, and heaven knows she meddles in Lucas's love life. Aside from that, though... what is she there for? Lauren Koslow is far too talented an actress to play a character that's being written in such a two-dimensional way.

That being said, what would y'all like to see Kate do next?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My ideas...

The neverending feud with Sami has got to stop. It began in 1996, and eleven years later, they're still arguing over the same exact things. I don't mind them feuding -- in fact, I would roll my eyes if the writers ever turned them into friends. But at some point, they have to move along to something different. Let them fight over something other than her children! Give them a work-related storyline and let them feud over something different, because this same old "you're no good for my son!" argument is so worn out, even Goodwill won't take it.

Personally, I think that they should toss Stephanie into a triangle with Sami and Lucas. Stephanie could be a scheming bitch that Kate hates even more than Sami, and in this situation, Kate finds herself siding with Sami. Stephanie could blackmail Kate into breaking up Sami/Lucas, which makes Kate realize that Sami really is the better woman for her son. With that, Kate could give up the constant bickering with Sami (although, as I said, they should never be 'friends') and Sami/Lucas would finally have a different obstacle. It'd also be interesting to see Sami battle Stephanie -- a girl who's essentially the same person Sami was when she was younger -- over Lucas. Sami wouldn't have to give up her bad girl ways, and yet we'd still be rooting for her... Kate will have moved on to bigger fish-frying... and all would be well.

Once Kate is out of the constant Sami/Lucas orbit, I would like to see her battle with a woman over Tony -- perhaps Anna? It could be an interesting story, as well, if Stefano wants Kate for himself, even though she's more interested in his son. It could pit Tony and Stefano against one another, as well as Anna and Kate. Then just for good measure, bring Kristen back to slap some sense into her brother and her father. Vivian, too. :)

• Members

I'd love to have EJ sell his shares of Mythic to someone anonymously, then we find out it was Vivian he sold it to. Then Vivian would surprise Kate and their feud would be re-ignited.

Vivian and Kate were always more interesting to me than Sami and Kate.

Also, I've always though EJ should've been an Alamain, and not a DiMera!

Or, Hogan could burn Kate, like he did Barbara Ryan on ATWT. Barbara and Kate seem to share a lot of similarities.

• Members

Speaking of Alamain, how hot would it be to bring Lawrence back and pair him with Kate? My, oh my! It'd certainly set Vivian aflame, too. She'd sh!t a brick! Or let Tony and Lawrence fight over Kate... the two of them would be amazing enemies.

I still like the idea of a Tony/Anna/Kate/Stefano quadrangle though, pitting Stefano/Tony against one another over Kate, and Anna/Kate against one another over Tony. I guess that in the end, Anna could win Tony and Stefano could always go back to his Marlena obsession... then that's when Lawrence could come back to town and he could be tossed into Kate's orbit, which brings Vivian back to Salem. She could bury Kate alive, just like Carly... and when that's done, the character of Kate could be put to rest. Vivian could go to jail for murder, and Tony/Lawrence could find something to feud over.

*sigh*

The character of Kate Roberts has so much potential. She could be involved with the Alamains or the DiMeras, and fit in perfectly... feuding with Anna, or feuding with Vivian... paired with Tony or Lawrence... she could go back to run Titan and re-ignite the flame with Victor... anything! So much potential, and yet she's wasted in a childish feud with Sami that NEVER ENDS. Whyyyy?!

• Members

Kate vs Anna (maybe fight over Tony)

Kate/Lawrence

Kate/EJ

Kate/Victor

Kate vs Sami in the boardroom or something of that natire.

Any of the above would make me happy. I love Kate and LK but the character really does need to branch off. I really liked her under Hogan the first few months of his reign. He had her helping in the EJ investigation and interacting with Victor again in Philip's story. I loved it.

• Members

Kate should first face some type of tragedy. Whether it be breast cancer or something. But of course Kate being Kate she doesn't tell her children because shes a strong woman. Shes a diva and she doesn't want her family to see her that way...weak and scared. So she hides the truth. Only Sami finds out and is sworn to secrecy by Kate. At the same time a new man (or maybe someone already on canvas) comes into Kates life and becomes her rock or stability during these trying times. The guy falls in love with Kate and Kate develops feelings for him but NOT to the same extent.

Time passes and despite many setbacks and disappointments Kate beats her tragedy. Somewhere along the arc Lucas, Billie, Austin, Phillip and her other kids (if there any...I lost count of how many buns shes baked in that oven of hers over the years). They are shocked but rally around their mother and support her. The feud between Sami and Kate finally ends since Sami was also there for Kate when no one else was.

At this point Kate is fully healed and because of it has a new outlook on life. She decides to open up a new business dedicated to healing and spa therapy. However she needs capital and goes to her main man in life. Together they build the company from the ground up and it forges and even STRONGER bond between the two of them. This time Kate falls in love with the guy and they marry.

More happens but I have to think about what direction I want to go in.

• Members

Ew, big questions!!! Too complex!! And I thought you were a JER fan, lol.

Please, leave my soaps with beatiful people, good production values and sexy storylines ... don't confuse me with the corporate mumbo jumbo jargon! Leave that to Y&R and Jabot (gag!) and Genoa City and all that good stuff. Let's just have "Days" and "Passions" characters go to "work," look hot while going to work and then make out and/or have sex while at work. If there must be a corporate story, fine, just leave it uncomplicated -- and SEXY!!! :)

• Members

When done well, a corporate intrigue story can be very compelling. All you have to do is know who the players are, what their positions are, and it's like watching a real-life version of Chess. Or euchre. Who trumps who? Establish a rooting factor by incorporating the 'personal' lives of the players and force the viewers to care, because at the end of the day, a good corporate intrigue story is much more than just a 'boring job story' -- it's a cat-and-mouse game under the disguise of occupation, where everything's at stake.

I never thought I'd be interested either until I sat down and forced myself to watch Y&R for, like, a week straight. Once I was familiarized with the players and what was at stake, I was fascinated! I couldn't believe I was so on the edge of my seat for a corporate story with such fancy lingo!

• Members

I like Kate/Lauren, but I don't see Days giving her a storyline or much to do outside of being a overbearing mother. However, with Billie, Philip and Lucas, I think she is an important part of the canvas, but she could be bumped to recurring, IMO. Less is more where Kate is concerned at this point.

Archived