OLTL: Renee Elise Goldsberry ~ What Is Going On?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Lol thanks for the warning. I remember the neverending saga of Jen Rappaport. God I must have thought that girl was in "True Love" like a million times. Rex, Riley, Cristian, Michael, Joey. OLTL was killing me when it came to her and her relationships. Then they just off and kill the girl. By the way how was fan reaction when they killed Jen off? I was shocked to be honest, a little sad, and angry to be honest but I didn't know if anyone else was feeling the same way.

• Members

We only hear rumors and speculation, but I doubt either side would hide the good news of an agreement. With the show hitting low demos and households, with a weak sweeps period anticipated, there isn't exactly a huge margin of goodwill to squander.

Contracts at OLTL seem to be frequently in peril lately. Regardless of what one thinks of ME as John McBain, there is a quite vocal contingent that seems enough to keep him at the top of the episode counts, and stories are absolutely mangled to put him in the center. ABC didn't want to let him walk, even though it seemed he quite wanted to. I doubt that twelfth hour agreement was all a stunt and came cheap. Then we have TSJ, who also suffered through a fairly long, public contract negotiation -- post twelfth hour, apparently - and AGAIN, not likely all that cheap. Now we have REG, a third with a vocal contingent who leads airtime - and AGAIN the clock has struck twelve.

How much CAN be in a pie that has to be shrinking? OLTL won't even offer a modified contract to Phil Carey. They already had to let DG go -- and let HT, TW walk. Also, who else is up this year? I've heard varying reports that BW might be, and that ES is. I can't believe they don't want to re-sign REG quickly and quietly, but someone may HAVE to go. OLTL desperately needs a new writer, probably not negligible on the budget either. Of the players, REG just might be the most expendable (I think John McBain might have been....but it was their call.)

• Members

I agree with people who are saying ME's contract demands ruined it for everyone else. I'm sure he demanded and got the moon and stars, but at what cost for everyone else? I know he has his share of female fans but what has he brought to OLTL? It's definitely not ratings or Emmy nominations.

It's a shame things have to be so tough for TSJ and REG. I personally think REG isn't coming back and that's fine. I think she's better off without the show. I wish TSJ hadn't come back either. It would have been fun to see TPTB have to scramble and find a new Todd.

The show is dying a slow death and anyone that gets out now is lucky.

• Members

I'm hoping Renee does come back.

I can see where the pessimism is coming from. On certain levels I totally agree. On the other hand I can not deny that I am entertained by OLTL on a regular basis and I am glad to watch knowing that storylines will eventually hit their peak and end point/conclusion despite certain characters being very out of their element. Whomever is writing this, be it Dena, etc., has at least made what their writing watchable IMO.

But ME has done a lot of damage to this show. I am really only able to tolerate him now with Marty (like 10x more than ever with Natalie), which I know is short lived considering the posts he made on his website.

• Members

I hope she comes back too, but the longer they go without coming to an agreement the less likely it is she'll be back.

I think the writing for John has done a lot of damage to the show. They didn't really have a clear direction for him, but he was on almost everyday of the week. People got tired of every story turning around and being about him when it shouldn't have. The KCK had so much potential but as soon as it turned into who should Mcbain chose? It went all downhill. The Spencer storyline should have been Todd and Blair's with a side of John and we saw how that turned out.

There are times when I'm entertained, but more often than not I'm bored. This week was pretty dull and I don't see things improving for May sweeps.

• Members

I completely agree!

What gets me is I remember alot of people being PISSED that OLTL basically gave ME what he wanted at Dan and Heather's expense, but yet alot of the same ones want OLTL to give TSJ and REG whatever they want.

Gotta love the double standard ;):huh:

Anyways I think she will re-sign. Personally if any actor deserves the moon and stars offered to them, it's Phil Carey

• Members

The Spencer story should have been about the Buchanans with a side of T/B like it started. John never had a place in the story.

The budget is by definition finite. It is also shrinking with the lower ratings go. ME getting an increased percentage of a smaller and finite number didn't help matters. The character of John is divisive at best. He may have fans but so do many other characters on the show who are not being written for and he was far from universally loved.

We now have yet another year of essentially the same group of characters leading the episode count with the exception of Spencer who still lurks just not at the top. The only real changes is that viewers have endured yet another year of Dena's writing, the departure of some characters and the further marginalization of others.

The character of Evangaline is much like that of John. She is divisive. She has her fans but she is far from universally loved either as the character or as the actress.

• Members

That's the conclusion I am coming to. I had a rare chance to to discuss soaps with someone 'offline' - a schoolteacher who follows AMC (must be lunch hour). I discussed some of the AMC things with her -- McTavish being finally fired, Julia Barr being let go -- then I gave her a list of OLTL's macabre highlights. She was thoroughly shocked, and called immediately for Higley being out.

And no one seems to be even noticing this at PR sensitive Disney.

• Members

You know, there are several people on the show that I really think could make it in a bigger world if they opted to go that direction. REG no doubt has a promising career on Broadway. I also think she could hit it big in primetime.

I do think she is coming back. though. It just got too quiet too quick. I don't think any of this was a stunt like the Todd being executed stunt. But I also think, it's not a bad idea, once they come to agreement, for them to let all this play out a while. Let me emphasize, I think the impasse is for real. But I also think they probably weren't that far apart. I don't think she was looking for huge money. I think she was looking for a little contract freedom for things like Broadway, having a child and reaching out for bigger part. I don't follow her that closely, but I do now that she has talked frequently about wanting a family and about how much she enjoys Broadway.

I want to emphasize before everyone gets their backs up: I don't think the impasse was a stunt. I think she left, I think there were differences. But I don't think either OLTL or REG wants to part company though and I don't think money is causing the entire divide.

Now back on topic, LOL. I don't think it would hurt May sweeps to have her fanbase tune in for the good-bye episode when Evangeline goes into coma and then a few days later they announce they have reached a deal and she will be back. I think that is what they did with ME. I suspect it will work better with REG.

You know, I just think this whole affair went very public and then very silent. I think step one was contract posturing on both sides. I think Frankie is a little poop and always goes to the media with contract talks. It would be real nice if he grew up and stopped that.

I think step two is strategic. This is just me rumor mongering and speculating. I think you know by now, I'm nothing but a viewer who spends too much time on soaps. It is my reasons -- as Machevallian as they are LOL -- for thinking they are probably on lot closer on this contract these days then we believe.

• Members

Not necessarily so. Phil Carey(soon-to-be-ex, Asa) was treated like crap even though he's the eldest castmember on the show, and been on the show longer than anyone besides Erika Slezak (Viki), consecutively. Also Dan Gauthier(ex-Kevin) was also treated like crap.

I agree. ONE LIFE should fire Michael Easton(John McPain) as well as others a lot of viewers don't care for or plain just don't like, i.e. Forbes March(Nash), Alexandra Neil(Paige), Tobias Truvilion(Vincent) & Sean Reingold(Shaun).

Rehire Dan Gauthier, Give Phil Carey the deal he deserves as well as Renée Goldsberry.

I don't think the show is dying. The show is still pretty good with the exception of the McPains (and I'd add Michael & Marcie to those I'd fire list) and the Nash/Jessica mess (and I used to be a fan of them, but Nash is being written as a crazed stalker IMHO and needs to die a painful death, he's ruining Jess).

• Members
Please Saint Antonio ruined Jess long before Nash came into town. As for the "double standard" its not a hidden secret that ME is up in our faces everyday, for almost half the show! However REG and TSJ don't always appear on the show and if they are focused on more heavily its because they actually bring something to the table. I'd rather watch 2 great actors who have great chemistry with each other develop a relationship than watch a scarred, scary, fugly, creepy, old cop yell at people everyday and talk about nothing.

• Members

I guess I don't think anybody needs to leave. I think people leaving would just further disrupt what few fans remain. And right now, I believe this show is dying I do think there are several characters who need less airtime. Evangeline would be amongst those and so would Todd, Jessica, Antonio, Nash, John, Natalie and Marty And, there are several characters who need more airtime.

I also would like to see the Buchanans brought back, particularly Kevin. I'd like to see Jerry verDorn play Clint instead whoever it is that the Hack is writing right now and passing off as Cllint. As far as Phil Carey. Yes he needs a contract, but honestly, rip me to pieces, but his glory days as the center figure on this show are over.

As far as Nash ruining Jessica, Mulder, you've been calling for Nash to be dumped since he came on the show. Why do people say, I used to be a fan. You weren't. LOL. Jessica was ruined long ago. She was ruined during the Santi ordeal. She was ruined during the Steven Haver ordeal and she was ruined when she was Antonio's little idiot. If anything Tess and Nash saved the character. It really is a waste that they moved this character forward and then returned her to a whiney, weak woman. he destruction of Jessica isn't new It's been a consistent pattern, with the brief interlude of Tess, which was supposed to be about Antonio anyway.

I tend to blame a lot of the Jessica destruction on dear ol Frankie and his Antonio love. But that is another story.

• Members

PC's glory days are over. I love him and the character. He's being treated dreadfully but he's not up for leading a story. He could have played a great supporting player but they have taken that from him. At this point the Buchanan family is a joke.

I somewhat disagree with Jess on the exiting of more characters. That's exactly the type of thing that might get me back to watching, at least to see if there was some positive change. Continuation of the status quo is the one thing certain to keep my tv off.

The one thing that is certain is that the continuation of the status quo is a slow death.

• Members

Play hardball OLTL. Renee is average on her best day. Recast her with another AA woman and the fans will fall in love all over again. I think that Renee should stick to broadway, she is not good enough for prime time.

Personally I think that TSJ asked for too much and they had to make a choice between Renee and Trevor.

Archived