OLTL: Renee Elise Goldsberry ~ What Is Going On?

• Members

I agree his glory days are behind him and it sucks they didn't offer him a contract but you're right he's in no shape to take on a lead story. The Spencer story started out as a Buchanan story but things changed when Phil got sick. I don't know why they didn't temporarily recast him so the storyline could continue. I think that's when things started to shift towards Spencer going after Blair and by the time they came back to the Buchanan aspect of the story TPTB had decided to let Paul S. go and that lead to Spencer not being a Buchanan.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Average doesn't get 2 back to back Emmy nominations. Well, at least it didn't, last time I checked. You have to be more than average for that to happen. The fans love her because she is a great actress. I have to disagree with you. I think Renee is good enough for Primetime, as well as Daytime, as well as movies. She did Ally Mcbeil, I believe a couple of years ago. Although it was bit role, someone thought she was able to do primetime, because they brought her on to do it. You say, recast her with another AA actress and the fans will fall in love all over again. Please. The fans fell in love with her because she is talented, so by all means, Do not make this seem like they can just bring in any other black chick and the fans will like her, automatically. That isn't how it goes. The fans go for talent. I swear, I would take a really good white actress to play Vangie, before a crappy black one. I don't think they had to chose between Trevor and Renee. Sadly, I think this has more to do with her being a woman, and a black woman at that.

• Members

Just because you stick another AA female in the role of Evangeline doesn't mean fans will automatically fall in love with her. It doesn't work that way. REG herself had a lot to do with why and how Evangeline became so popular.

That's like saying just recast the role of Marty with another white actress and fans will fall in love with her. Oh wait they did that and guess what? It's not working.

• Members

That still ignores all the Kevin, Kelly and Duke part of the story which they decided to just ignore. What Spencer did to them deserved as much of a response as what he did to Todd and Blair. The Spencer as a Buchanan story was never the story it was only the motivation for what should have been the story, Kevin paying for Asa's preceived sins generating story for Kevin and Asa. As usual Hackley never gets where the true beats to the story lie.

To tie this back to the topic at hand, TIIC keep attempting to focus the show on a smaller and smaller group of characters which appeal to a smaller and smaller number of fans. That will ultimately have an end which is none to pleasing to any fan of the show as the strategy is little more than a means to an end. What will they do this fall or next fall when ME's contract comes up for renewal yet again and they have lost another few hunderd thousand of viewers? Will they give him yet another raise of an even smaller piece of the pie? Who will go then?

I still contend that the show isn't dying so much as it's being systematically murdered by Fron's vision for it.

• Members

You might be right about it being better for REG and TSJ leaving now before the whole show falls into chaos but I truly believe OLTL can get back on top if they continue to make great changes, etc. As soon as I saw ME on OLTL I KNEW in the pit of my gut that he would ruin this show and he has. When he appearted on Port Charles (which I absolutely loved) I hated the character of Caleb and immediately the show become so ridiculous and annoying to the point where I gave up on it after 2 years of watching Vamper centered storylines. It got dumb and it got repetitive seeing him day after day after day talking about the same things. He just needs to GO or at least disappear for a while.

• Members

Co-sign.

The role of Evangeline isn't any black actress fits all. Renee obviously brings a certian nuance to the role that has gotten her the recognition of her peers, broadway and Ms. Oprah herself. She is an accomplished actress and quite frankly doesn ot need OLTL to pay her what she's worth. The women on the ABC roster deserve equal pay for their work and not be the afterthoughts.

• Members

That is because CC sucks!!! I am sorry I didn't know that I would have to clarify that I would want an good AA actress in the role of Evangeline. I thought that was common sense, but whatever- Van can most definately be recast!!!

Play hardball OLTL!!!

• Members

Ok it's time for honesty once again, if it's REG's emmy nominations that are the reason OLTL should get out it's pen and checkbook then while they are finding the money for her let them find the money for HT. HT is also two for two emmy noms (she withheld her name one year out of the 3 she was on OLTL). She also has fans who loved her in the role and she has a total of 11 nominations as well as two wins.

If we are opening the purse, let's find some money in there for a raise for RS. She has nominations, longevity and a win. Lest we not forget how about RSW and ES and HBS? They all have nominations and wins as well as longevity.

Last but not least how about the money to lure DG back and how about OLTL's other actresses and actors who have nominations to their credit like KB, IK, KDP, JVD.

• Members

Ok. Just to set something straight. Heather Tom wanted out. Combination of Dan's firing, and things going on backstage, she decided to leave. I love Dan, but they do not want him back. They fired him. Why use money to lure him back?? I know, us fans would love it, but I dont see it happening. Well, to answer your other question, JVD, KB, IK combined, do not have the fanbase of REG, respectfully so. The only person who could compare to her, that you listed is KDP, who recently signed her contract without any troubles. Hillary was just signed a 4 year contract. There is that money. RSW is happy, and shown a lot. There is the money. Erika and Hillary are both unhappy, you got that one. They are apart of the older age. I don't agree with Frons views on brining in the new blood, but thats what he is doing right now. REG IS apart of that, and the money will be spent there, I believe.

• Members

Yes let us set something straight. Just like HT wanted things OLTL wasn't giving her --like story, REG evidently wants things OLTL isn't willing to give her and she was let go just as HT and DG were. Will that change in the future? Who knows. That's ultimatley not the point that was being discussed. The underlying point was the value of an emmy nomination.

As to the point of why use money to lure DG back? Back at you why use money to lure REG back? Is not the answer because it makes some set of fans happy?

KB's fanbase was quite sizable before it was allowed to disappear because the actress languishes with little to no story or airtime.

RSW is rumored to have taken a pay cut to remain with the show. So why does he not deserve at least what he was making if not a raise? The same questions can be said for RS.

REG isn't the only actress on the show with fans who love her nor is she the only one with emmy nominations.

• Members

Well to set something straight once again, Dan was fired, because he spoke out against the show. Heather Tom LEFT on her own will because she didn't like what was going on. SHE WAS NOT LET GO. Lets be honest again. Dan's fanbase wasnt really huge until he was fired and that is the truth coming from someone who likes the guy. Kathy Brier's fanbase has always been low. Point blank. RSW may or may not have taken a pay cut. He is not complaining about it, unlike Robin Strasser. She has every right to complain. Pay cuts are apart of the business. We dont know where her money is. You are making this point about Emmy nominations. It's not about that. Its about REG being talented and deserving to be on the show. Robin is here. Even in the damged capacity she is here in, she is still here. You say REG is not the only one with Emmy noms. You are right, but she sure as hell, negating CHERI, is the only one with people taking the bat for her like this. And one more thing. Where the hell did you hear that RSW was taking a pay cut from?

• Members

Kathy Brier's fanbase may seem low now -- but was part of a huge fan uprising awhile ago. Nathaniel Marston played AL HOlden, and had some 'personal difficulties,' and was let go. Malone decided to kill off Al Holden while he was paired with Marcie in one of the sweetest natural pairing of recent OLTL history. Even though I was new to online, I saw hundreds of posters threatening to quit as the word got out, and there was huge hope they'd reverse it. The online petition for re-hiring NM was 10,000+ signatures, and resulted in his rehire (in the lame Heaven Can Wait storyline).

Malone then abused Marcie with the lamer than lame gay wedding issue (where ALL the main players were dayplayers), and Marcie became the spokeswoman for the PSA's of the moment, where she remains to this day.

RSW did work for awhile without a contract this last negotiation, and could well have taken a paycut to remain with the show. A steady, if smaller paycheck is still better than no paycheck at all.

• Members

I agree totally with this post. Heather Tom left because she was getting boinked. I don't think for one minute she wanted to leave. Everyone keeps saying HT wanted to leave. What they omit is in the same statements where she said she left, she said OLTL was giving her poop for stories, and that contract talks weren't going well. Also, I guess the same arguments you used on DG could be used on REG. So yeah, we can't just plop one actress down and say lookie lookie a new Evangeline. But saying that HT or DG don't deserve the same consideration is equally as incorrect. JMO. I also hate that this has regressed into HT and DG vs. REG. OLTL would be well-served to have them all.

• Members

Jay, I think you are wrong about Kathy Brier's fanbase and about Dan's. Both of pretty strong fanbases. Kathy's in particular is big and strong. Now they aren't the type who post on every web site. But I think when Nathaniel Marston was in trouble and when Dan got fired, both fanbases came out. They are big fanbases. I admit it bothers me that online fanbases have as much power over this show as they do. I don't think there are 200 online fans total. They just post a lot everywhere. Placing too much attention on online fanbases, shortchanges the majority of fans who aren't online.

That being said, none of these quality performers needed to go. OLTL is worse off for the treatement of Dan, HT, Kathy Brier, Robin Strasser, Erika Slezak and yes, REG. Now if REG is asking for a fat paycheck and making other unnecessary demands, I retract my statement. But, as I said previously, I think her concern might be with things other than a big pay check. If it's money, blame on Trevor and ME, they got the big checks.

Archived