ALL: SOW Cover!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i agree with the person who said it's all about inches and space to spare. That makes sense. The tabloid-y thing, however, was that EXCLAMATION POINT. There was NO excuse for that. You can argue inches and white space, but a person can't argue that SOW was justified to put AN EXCLAMATION POINT after a death announcement.

THE TACKIEST thing came down to what otherwise would have been the smallest detail.

• Members

Ron, you know he just signed a new contract. SOW's very likely hyping a brief exit, which was done while Howarth was negotiating his new contract. Or, they thought he was leaving when they printed up the magazine, but he signed the new contract at the 11th hour. Sorry, I know how much you hate Roger. My fave Pauls were Andy Kavovit and Scott Holroyd.

• Members

Oh, well, then, sorry, guys. As a member of the media, I give it my green light for being factual and not necessarily tasteless. it's true, after all. It works from all angles.

1. It's factual.

2. It gets people to look inside (by not giving away who died)

3. A shorter headline is always better than a longer one, due to rushed readers, so you pretty much had to use those exact words

4. It's not sensational -- as opposed to if it said, "DAYS VET DIES!"

"Days vet dies" or even "DAYS VET DIES" is not really tabloid-y.

How is it different from a headline "Car crash in Yourtown: 1 dies, 1 injured"?

Or "MAYOR KILLED IN FIERY CRASH" or something similar that reputable newspapers and news organizations frequently use?

Again, I'm with SOW on this one.

• Members

But what about "Days Vet DIES?"

The capitalization of "DIES" seems to express something that I don't really like.

I was just about to leave when I read this topic and had to reply, LoL

Archived