Hold on.....Did Jack Smith go to OLTL??

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Death of a major character MAJORLY screwed Y&R out of the win last year. Everyone thought Cassie's death was *THE* money shot.

I can honestly say I was never more bored and passionless as I watched Cassie die. It was more/less "Thank God this is over!"

As a series of episodes, Cassie's death may have worked. With this submission(in addition to all the boring BS that was going on around town) I could totally see why Y&R didn't go away with the prize even though fans and several critics like Michael Logan cried fowl.

I mean, I watched Y&R on occasion growing up and I understood what Cassie meant to the canvas, but none of that was conveyed in the episode. It was like boo-hoo-hoo, "Cassie's fighting for her life." TPTP cannot rely on someone having watched the show before to make their final vote. It doesn't work that way.

I remembered seeing John Abbott's death and thought it was well-written, but I wonder if it suffers from the same problem. Is that episode self-contained enough to win over Emmy voters.

My feelings could also be that way because I thought GL's money shot, the aborted Sandy/Tammy nups carried way more action and, dare I say it, emotional weight than Y&R's.

But GH won, so what difference does that make anyway?

Not every soap needs to rely on high stakes, big budget drama(GH), but there needs to be a balance between the overemotional(Y&R) and the overdramatic(every GH stunt). It needs to fall somewhere in the middle.

• Members

Bellcurve I honestly don't think the submissions had that much to do with GH winning last year & Y&R losing. And I think the same thing will come in to play this year.

I belive there are some voters out there who watch the stuff and let it influence them, but for the most part when it comes to the awards politics and block voting comes into play.

I see the votes going this way this year.

AMC: OLTL

ATWT: GL (their sister soap)

B&B: Y&R (their sister soap)

Days: OLTL

GH: OLTL

GL: will probably vote for one of the other 2 CBS shows as most likely mandated by CBS

OLTL: will have to vote for CBS show as they can't vote for themselves

Passions: OLTL

Y&R: B&B (their sister soap)

I see OLTL getting 4 votes with the other shows at the most getting 3 possibly 4.

At the most one of the CBS soaps will only get 3 unless CBS tells B&B/GL to both vote for Y&R and Y&R/B&B to both vote for GL in hopes of pushing a tie

The Best Case Scenario for one of the CBS shows if block voting comes into play is:

OLTL: AMC, Days, GH, & Passions - 4

GL: ATWT/B&B/Y&R & possibly OLTL - 4

GL's vote would be lost as it would go to B&B or Y&R giving them 1

or

insert the other 2 shows and you would get the same.

CBS has to hope that either AMC, Days, GH, & Passions have to be willing to vote totally on quality and let the other stuff go, but Emmy's have been so political for years, I don't see it happening too much.

• Members

I'd really think Days would've voted for Y&R, since both Days and Y&R are Sony owned and Corday has some stake in Y&R. It puzzles me that both shows don't support one another Emmy-wise.

A CBS soap does have the chance of winning though. I mean Y&R did win in 2004 and ATWT did win in 2003.

• Members

Carlivati is the official co-headwriter for OLTL. I don't know when the change will be reflected in the credits because as of yet, Dena Higley's name is still first and solo when they do the writing credits.

As far as Smith goes, he is still consulting for GH. It is my opinion that when Guza's contract expires this year, Smith will eventually become his replacement.

• Members

In years past the most nominations in the Best Show Category has not mattered - only 3 times did the network that only had 1 nominee win. In the others the network that had 3 or 4 nominations won, but block voting and it's affects are in play now.

In both of those years the new process was still in the works and neither CBS or ABC had learned to dominate.

In 2003 in the major nominations ABC had 18 nominations & CBS had 24 - very close.

In 2004 in the major nominations ABC had 17 and CBS had 22.

In 2005 they have 24 each in the major nominations.

It was until 2006 that things got skewed. CBS got 29 major nominations while ABC only got 12. It was the first year that ABC has ever had anyone speak out about the awards. NBC had before but ABC never had.

With many of them accusing CBS of block voting by network and feeling like they are being overlooked ABC will let politics enter into it more and I believe they did last year. The same thing will happen this year.

As to Days not voting Y&R, if Corday is smart he will vote the way Frons wants him to vote. CBS has not come out and expressed an interest in wanting Days since Kevin Reilly made his statement. Corday knows that Frons wants Days and has already said that he would screw over one of his own shows if Days is performing better than them when it is cancelled. YOu better believe Corday will put his votes where they will help Frons network the most.

As I have said in the past, the awards are about quality and you have some voters who vote that way but just like the Oscars there are a lot of politics in them. And that is the biggest influence of all.

• Members

I think they may be waiting for Higley's contract to run out. Maybe they are planning to put out all of the announcments all in the same week, or month. If Jack Smith takes over,Guza will probably remain a Consulting Producer for the show. Ron Carlivati will take over One Life To Live and Kay Alden., AMC. Back when the Burton Arumus stuff was being thrown around, I dont remember who, but oen poster said that Kay and Jack would go to AMC and GH and Someone from One Life Will be promoted in. Will that poster please stand up because that is what seems to be happening.

• Members

October is a long time away and it doesn't sound like Dena's going anywhere. Boxing round 2, Spencer still around, McPain still boring everyone to tears and a new RFTH story to offend everyone. Sounds like typical Dena. In the alternative, if this is Ron's influence it doesn't bode well for the future.

Why does everyone think Alden was ever at OLTL? By her own words she was only going to work on OLTL after she finished what she was doing at AMC. Is she done with AMC or is she the new writer?

Archived