SOAPnet acquire the rights to.......

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I already knew about this so I was prepared. Talked a bit about it on the SB Talk Show last night. Whatever. F. U. Soapnet!

And this throws the "expensive musical rights" issue right out the window! I highly doubt SB comes with a 30 million dollar(!) price tag on it. :angry: :angry: :angry:

• Members

SOAPnet and Brian Frons are unbelievable. They spend $30 Million on those acquisitions when daytime fans have been BEGGING for years for classics like SANTA BARBARA.

I piss on Frons.

And Juniors, you are totally right...the "expensive music rights" excuse is bullshit to me now. No way would SB have cost the network more than $30 Mil for rebroadcasting rights.

This really makes me wish that SOAPCITY would have went ahead and did their soap opera channel. At least there would be more...BALANCE!

R, it's not surprising, it's just really upsetting. People can see THE OC and ONE TREE HILL on DVD and Weekend Syndication. Instead of catering to the audience that demand to see REAL soaps, they cater to the teenyboppers that will ONLY watch those shows and will never convert to being daytime soap fans.

It's insulting.

And I wouldn't be surprised if LAGUNA made it to SOAPnet either. Frons and SOAPnet are in constant reference to it(even using it as an example of "what type of show to model" in its SOAPU contest). It's just sickening.

• Members

They're going to run what they think will bring in higher ratings. More recent and more "recently popular" prime-time shows proabably do have a better chance then old daytime shows that were low-rated like Santa Barbara.

I suspect the Another World experiment was costly and didn't bring in the ratings they'd hoped for. Hence the endless reruns of Beverly Hills 90210 and the seeking out of more recent prime-time shows.

• Members

I don't think Another World was costly-- they were running it two times a day at points before they acquired DOOL and Y and R. I think they got their money's worth.

Frons has been trying to pattern the ABC soaps over the 'youth orientated' WB soaps, so I'm not really surprised he picked these up. OC is off the air, it won't compete with ABC soaps the way DOOL and Y and R do. Is One Tree Hill also off the air?

How long before repeat season-old primetime series start bumping the daytime schedule (as in Y/R, DOOL)? Unless they decide to bump one showing of 90210.

Archived