"It's the beginning of the end for daytime serials and soaps."

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Maybe someone should move this thread to the MyNetworkTV section, because this has more to do with those shows than daytime.

The *BIG* reason why MyNetworkTV didn't work MEIDEL is that these shows weren't even marketed properly. No one knew WHAT MyNetworkTV was, and a lot of people still don't.

I admit, FH and DESIRE weren't that great. But, WICKED WICKED GAMES and WATCH OVER ME were both soap masterpieces with excellent production values and really good acting(especially WWG and Tatum O'Neal).

Not if you promote the shows to diehard soap fanatics. Or, wait, how about promoting these shows at all!?

I hope the ratings register a 0HH after that. Without MyNetworkTV's all telenovela lineup, the network is pointless. But, you can't tell that to someone who doesn't like soaps to begin with.

With Meidel saying this, I'm not completely convinced the network will let AMERICAN HEIRESS and SAINTS & SINNERS run their full course. I think they will give up on them way earlier than their run.

Yep, 2007. The year that soaps died!

• Members

I love my soaps and the networks should take into consideration the fact that unlike MyNetworkTV (which was admittedly trash when I watched it) daytime soaps are staples. The problem is not the show itself - it's what's going on with each show. All My Children is constantly alienating its own viewers; One Life to Live hasn't had a solid identity since Michael Malone's first run; As the World Turns is generic soap at best; Bold and Beautiful is so fickle you can't keep up; Passions began its descent toward exploitation and trash years ago. GH and GL have some great moments mixed in with the good/mediocre, and powerhouse Y&R is starting to show serious signs of strain. Overhaul the shows! Bring back vets, fire the hack writers, treat the shows with some sort of dignity and respect! It's all thanks to the Powers that Be.

• Members

I think the problem that MyNetworkTV had was that they were trying to show a soap 5 days a week at NIGHT, and that is just something that does not work, 5 day a week soaps were meant for daytime, not primetime. That is why when Melrose Place and 90210 were on they were once a week not everyday, I am sure if they would have put them on everyday, they would have never lasted, same thing can be said about Dallas and Dynasty once a week which is all that a primetime soap should be on. Not to mention that there NEW soaps don't have millions of people that have been watching for 20 years or more as a start up base. I in no way shape or form view there problems at MyNetworkTV to the probelms that daytime has. Daytime's problem is storytelling, once upon a time daytime soaps all had great story tellers and storylines, and now alot of it is just throw whatever at the screen for a story and see if it sticks with the viewers. The only way daytime is going to fix its problems is to get back to storytelling and stop writing drivel for storylines.

• Members

People these days talk about "The Sopranos" like they used to talk about "GH" and "Dallas." That's where people are getting their soap fix these days. Even they aren't what we think of as "soaps," a lot of prime-time shows have done a good job at adapting soap conventions to primetime genres.

• Members

Showing soaps 4 or 5 days a week at night works very well in the UK. The top-rated shows are nighttime soaps there, with 4-6 episodes a week. MyNetworkTV just didn't promote itself or its telenovelas very well. I think a more established network could have a real hit with a 2- or 3-day a week nighttime soap. We see from a reality TV show like Big Brother or American Idol being on several days a week, also, that people can tune into a show for more than just one day a week at night.

Anyway it is NOT the beginning of the end for soaps. Jeff Zucker is clueless and just trying to justify his network's ineptness with daytime.

Archived