"It's the beginning of the end for daytime serials and soaps."

• Members

Yes, I agree. Passions cancellation was not the actual beginning....soaps really started dying in the nineties. Passions cancellation just speeds it up for Days and brings everyone's like NBCs attention because there are no new soaps coming on and Days is the last one left on the network, and possibly another if Days moves and another must be cancelled. It's basically like the body, it slowly decays.....but it's very slow and will take a while.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, I would agree more or less with both of you.

In ten years, every show has fallen by 4 million viewers.

I'd say the beginning of the end was a while ago. It will take a while to get to the end tho, IMO. CBS won't pull the plug on the Bell soaps for a looooooooong time. 15 years?

• Members

Yeah, I would say around that. Definately, Y&R is going to be one of the last standing and I can see B&B still there too. B&B might even extend to an hour. We all pretty much know NBC Daytime is gonna have all it's soaps gone first. Then if Days moves to CBS GL or ATWT will probably be cancelled, most likely GL IMO and I think once GL goes ATWT will be in trouble.

However, if Days moves to ABC we know OLTL or AMC is gonna go, and I am not sure which. But, I think either way AMC and OLTL are gonna go and they will be followed by GH most likely.

If Days is on CBS I have no idea how long would it last, not very long IMO, and soon be gone. That leaves us with Y&R and B&B...and they might be gone soon as well.

That basically takes away all of Daytime. Now, I am only speculating because in 2009 we have no idea what soaps are gonna be like. They could be worse, or better. I could even see AMC and/or OLTL going before 2009 if they remain in their current states. We can speculate now, but what this all comes down to is the shape of soaps in two years. Alot can change in that amount of time, ALOT!

Archived