2007: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

FROM FREE TRANSLATION.com... IM NOT THAT GOOD.LOL

Catharina Ledeboer is now librettist of ABC

One life to live is the soap opera in which will work this Ecuadorian from January of the 2007.

The decision of Catharina Ledeboer to be established in the United States to prompt from there its career as the librettist has given its fruits.

This Ecuadorian of 36 years, that for the national television has written the histories of series as 'Emergency' and soap operas like 'Heart dominated', both productions of TC Television, is one of the five main screenwriters of One life to live.

It is a matter of a novel that carries 38 years to the air in the chain ABC, one of the largest of the United States. "There this type of productions they go of long and they do not have alone from 120 to 180 chapters as happens in Latin America", declares Ledeboer, that arrived at the Equator three weeks ago.

"Always I am going and coming. My last visit was three months ago. On Saturday (yesterday) I go, returned the 30 of this month, I will go again United States to know to the team of One life to live and I will come again for celebrate Christmas", notes.

In the librettos of the dramatized American, Ledeboer will begin to work since the second week of January of the 2007. Upon mentioning it is touched, therefore indicates that the product, that is recorded every day, is interesting and in it actors have been initiated like Ryan Phillipe.

But ¿how it was involved with One life to live? With luck, faith and many contacts, responds Ledeboer and reveals that after being situated in United States touched many doors and that was a friend who almost two years ago presented an agent of William Morris Agency –that has been manager of Tom Hanks, Catherine Zed Jones and Martin Scorcese–, to whom he showed him the productions in which he worked as a librettist.

Although he did not obtain an immediate answer, Ledeboer explains that never lost the contact. Two months ago signed a contract, that then an interview obtained him with ABC. "It was the first one and the work left me", says.

Ledeboer is one of the five main writers of the soap opera. The credits compose it, besides, a leader of group, seven dialoguistas, a publisher and two consultants. "I am a little nervous because never I have worked in team, nevertheless, is always better".

It adds that each libretto is approved for the vice-presidency of ABC and that all they gather once a week. The leader of group presents a preestablished history and the librettists give their ideas.

The producer attributes their participation in One life to live to that read what there was written before and to that the Latin Americans are fashionable. Also it maintains to have prepared all its life; recalls that their first hyphen wrote it at the age of 5 (its mother, Lola Chiriboga of Ledeboer, still conserves it) and that to the 10 did him a "movie" often, its favorite group. "The competence is hard", says Ledeboer. It is because of it that, although continued writing histories for TC Television, after delivering (two years ago) the libretto of 'Heart dominated', asked time to seek work. "The Ecuadorian has to leave. Not by emigrating but by showing what we have: novels, actors".

In its curriculum, Ledeboer counts on various works, as the film The lame one Navarrete, that did with Carl West; the series 'Port lit up' and 'Emergency', and the novels 'The magical one', 'My cousins' and 'Heart dominated'.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Fabulous. While I'm ambivalent about Griffith (who may or may not have been hired to reign in LML) I'm thrilled that a Bell is writing Y&R. Maria Arena Bell worked at B&B and Y&R as both a writer and 'fashion consultant' from 1988-1993 (according to a press release from the California Governor's office about some appointment Bell is a part of http://gov.ca.gov/press-release/5450/) So she worked under Bill Bell and she's married to the head of Bell Dramatic Serials...while it ain't Kay Alden this was a wonderful Christmas present!

• Members

Okay--so I'm not dreaming...it really WAS just Josh Griffith and Maria Arena Bell.

I must be the only one who didn't know Arena was a Bell....she was credited as "Arena" all those years on B&B, and I just never made the connection to Bill Bell Jr.

For me though, the thing that is just giving me goosebumps is this...of all the symbolism to pick, wow, to hire a BELL to take over when LML and her team of nineteen (is that the right number???) writers left for the strike....

Wow! They have just CANNED LML _and_ dissed her, haven't they? Replacing her with her hand-picked co-EP and a BELL!!!!!

You can see I'm just reeling that a BELL is writing the show again. And such a strategic Bell. One who knows the show, trained under the father and the son, is married to the head of Bell Inc.... Could this really mean that stories rooted in the past are in our future?

But also, what does it say that they could replace LML's bloated writing team with just two people?

And, given how closely Arena worked with Brad, who doesn't believe that the B&B refugees (Kay Alden, Michael Minnis, Jerry Birn, Elizabeth Snyder, etc.) aren't there to offer advice and guidance? I'm prickly with goosebumps! Trying to contain my optimism. Because.....

But here is the biggest shocker. I didn't notice a lick of difference. Amber and Daniel were still flip with each other, even using modernisms like BFF. The pace was still blistering fast, with few scenes more than 1.5 minutes.

But there WAS a Bell classic maneuvre. Did you catch it? David Chow spent half the episode talking the Nikki's BACK!

Old school!!!

I'm really going to have so much fun watching which scabs pen these eps, even though I'm fundamentally opposed to the scab concept. In this case, though, any kind of divine intervention to aid Y&R was needed.

If the scabs are classic Bell writers, that is such a powerful signal! Could it be that for the first time in recent soap history, the suits realize they should hold on to a legacy, rather than squander it?

• Members

I don't want to sound like an idiot but I did notice a little bit of a difference in the episode. I don't really know what it was, but it was just a little different.

And yes, looks like the Bells are tightening their grip (and Sony is loosening theirs)...it's such a no brainer, the Bells created and ran the show successfully for close to 35 years...why on earth Sony thought bringing in a team of outsiders would be a good idea boggles my mind.

Archived