2007: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

AMC needs a prayer....

So much of AMC's core has been dismantled and buried, I'm not sure if even Broderick could save it. ABC seems intent on killing it (both creatively and commercially), I'm not confident they'd hire someone with actual writing talent. AMC's not just the worst soap on television right now, it's downright the worst show in general at the moment.

• Administrator

Not every.

Jodie Scholz was there before Hogan. Gordon Rayfield and Richard Backus last wrote for OLTL. Cydney Kelley's only wrote for DAYS and came back to the show after a 3 year absense. Renee Godelia also worked her way up at DAYS and is now back with the team after leaving in the summer of 2006.

• Members

Absolutely. The only long-term As the World Turns writers Hogan and Meg brought over that I can tell are: Judy Tate, Tom Casiello, Charlotte Gibson and Judy Donato. Fred Johnson last worked at As the World Turns, but I wouldn't consider him an FOH ("Friend of Hogan") as he's made quite a name for himself in this business at other soaps. Not that Fred and Hogan probably aren't friends. I'm sure they are, but FJ could probably get a gig anywhere he wanted. Other than that, the rest of the team is a pretty mixed bag from other shows.

If I forgot about anybody, or flaked on a name spelling, I'm sure Toups will correct me. :lol:

• Members

Maybe my source is Mike Cohen, Brimike.

In fact it is.

As to when someone is "let go", there's no true way to decipher that, because you

can be fired a month before your last script is actually written. That scriptwriter has to

be kept on until adjustments and new arrangements are made.

Each person was kept for as long as they were needed, and with a strike looming,

they probably needed Mike Cohen to help stock pile scripts.

I also happen to know for a fact that Beth and Mike were both brought on by

Steve Wyman, not Hogan. It was Beth's idea to rehire Mike who had been there years

and years earlier.

As to ED SCOTT being the one to fire him, that could be true, because new EPs usually

like to clear out all the "underlings" of the person they're replacing, but on a soap, we

also have to remember that no one person "fires" someone. Firing and hiring are done

by committee. Even the owner Ken Corday could want somebody hired on the show, and

if it's not signed off on by NBC, SONY or the rest of the Executive staff, that person won't

get on. The same goes for when someone is let go, there is a committee of people who

have to be in agreement with the person who suggests the firing.

• Members

Because Head writers are hired by the President and breakdown and script writers are hired by the head writer. It is his or her writing team. If its ok for Ed Scott to go around firing writers, then I say its just fine for Brian Frons to write an episode of GH. Frons sucks at writing and Mike Cohen, a damn good writer is jobless. Both are negative situations, but one should not be pardonable and the other not.

Archived