2007: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Members

^Yeah, it could be wishful thinking on our part, but the fact Bill Bell Jr's wife is currently writing for Y&R is very telling. I'm sure that was not a Sony/CBS decision, since Y&R is also partly owned by the Bell Dramatic Serial Company, Bill had to have hired his wife (and you KNOW how fond the Bell's are of nepotism).

I think most of the former Y&R staffers on B&B will probably stay there. However, people like Trent Jones, James Houghton, and Josh McCaffrey could very well find their way back to Y&R.

Let's not forget that Trent Jones was Alden and Smith's co-head writer from 2002 to 2004. If anyone could handle the task of being Y&R's new Head Writer after the strike, it's Trent.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It would be lovely if David Shaughnessy came back as EP after the strike. I would be happy with Brad Bell too. Either/Or.

I think what's happening, at least for the next few weeks worth of episodes is that they are genuinely written by Griffith and Arena Bell with some fleshing out courtesy of the nice folks at B&B. Honestly, I think that there a select group of B&B writers who are still writing, regardless of the strike. Kay Alden is a prime candidate for this since she lives in Chicago and can remain totally anonymous. The fact is B&B's production schedule could have afforded them a LOT of episodes in the can and many others pre-written. I am also certain that friends of the Bells like Jack Smith, Trent Jones, Josh McCaffrey, Jerry Birn etc could all be writing behind the scenes because let's face it: they don't want their shows being run by scab writers.

It also stands to reason that perhaps Brad Bell has quietly worked out a deal similar to the one David Letterman did with his staff. Since B&B is a completely Bell owned show (the only soap completely owned free and clear by a production company) he could make the same kind of deal which would allow his writers to work free and clear. The same couldn't be true of Y&R since it's partly owned by Sony who can't break the party line in regards to the WGA. That being said if the Bells have worked out a B&B deal it would seem logical that people like Alden, Esser, Minnis etc could all be writing Y&R scripts under the guise of doing work for B&B.

Essentially, Griffith must have been guaranteed a sweet deal in order to be credited as FiCore at Y&R. The fact is with Arena Bell is that she's family, she's had a track record of solid, good writing and she is probably taking one for the team. Either that or she said to the family 'Listen, I can write this show better than that plot driven bitch Lynn Marie Latham, give me a shot!' And they did.

Whatever the behind the scenes action I am actually really noticing a change in Y&R and I know that sounds dumb since I've only seen 3 Arena Bell & Griffith episodes, but for me there is a definite change.

• Members

OK Changes are really showing up on this show, and it's only the second episode without Latham and her team of hacks influence.

-Victor and Katherine ACTUALLY REMEMBER how long they've been friends....

-Jill REMEMBERS why she hates Gloria and that whole Bardwell debacle.

-We're getting insight again into character motivation and they're attempting to actually develop that one-note mess that is David Chow.

-The pace has slowed down a bit.

-Some classic Y&R directing traits seem to be incorporated. We're now getting a few exterior shots from most of the houses used.

The only downside to it all is that Griffith and Bell are FORCED to carry on with Latham's storylines because of the strike. The show's not perfect, but it's definitely more enjoyable than it's been for most of the year.

• Members

I thought everyone was being optimistic at first, but after watching yesterday and today I agree that change in Y&R's tone is evident. I think the show is on the upswing, and it'll be tragic if LML comes back after the strike (I'm reminded of a DAYS anecdote, which went to #1 in the ratings during one of the strikes, only to drop right back down when the writers came back, lol)

• Administrator

Here are the updates. Y&R is the first soap affected by the strike, followed by GH.

Y&R:

- Valerie Ahern & Christian McLaughlin last listed as Writers on November 29

- Marina Alburger last listed as Writer on December 13

- Michael Montgomery last listed as Writer on December 17

- Sandra Weintraub last listed as Writer on December 19

- Bernard Lechowick last listed as Writers on December 19

- Darin Goldberg & Shelley Meals last listed as Writers on December 20

- Eric Friedwald & Linda Schreiber last listed as Writers on December 20

- Brett Staneart last listed as Writer on December 21

- Scott Hamner last listed as as Co-Head Writer on December 24

- Cherie Bennett & Jeff Gottesfeld last listed as Writers on December 24

- James Stanley last listed as Writer on December 24

- Natalie Minardi Slater last listed as Writer on December 24

- Lynsey Dufour last listed as Writer on December 24

- Bernard Lechowick last listed as Creative Consultant on December 24

- Lynn Marie Latham last listed as Executive Producer and Head Writer on December 24

- Josh Griffith first listed as Head Writer on December 26

- Maria Arena Bell first listed as Writer on December 26

GH:

- Tracey Thomson last listed as Script Writer on December 18

- Susan Wald last listed as Script Writer on December 19

- Michele Val Jean last listed as Script Writer on December 21

- Mary Sue Price last listed as Script Writer on December 24

- Karen Harris last listed as Script Writer on December 26

• Members

This continued on Friday's show. I am shocked at how quickly we see a writing difference. At this point, I honestly don't think it is just a writing difference.

- The musical audition scenes. These were clear strike filler...BUT they are classic Y&R. (Think of all the photoshoots we've had to endure). And we got some texture to the Neil/Karen relationship...for the first time. And we were reminded that Nia Peeples can sing.

- It was most palpable in the Nikki-Phyllis scenes: Phyllis said her piece. In the LML regime, that quick toss-off at the Crimson Lights would have followed with Phyllis and Nikki in whole other locations and not together. But what happened....Nikki said "Would you sit down and talk to me?"

When was the last time that happened?

After the break, the conversation continued...at length. It was a discussion of forgiveness, of family. It was protracted.

That is classic Bell. They delved deeper. And I left the conversation feeling better about Nikki and Phyllis. I thought Phyl had a nice message, and I was delighted that Nikki had enough open mind to LISTEN.

- Nick's asking his father to forgive was also longer, and cut over multiple scenes. Moreover, it became clear to me that Nick has become the voice of the audience...what he said (hating Victor's stubbornness)... Again, the scenes were good in tone and they went long enough that we could really understand each man's perspective.

- Nikki's hair was longer. I realize it was straightened, but I also think this shows these episodes came after the December production shutdown (when they retooled). They REALLY retooled.

- Nikki came to the ranch to talk to Victor. Did you hear the slow, sad instrumental music in back? Nikki asking for common ground, while talking to Victor's back....that went for some time. Again, the pacing was "classic", and that wasn't such a bad thing.

For now, anyway, I'm enjoying that it signalls a shift. We'll see what form the show takes in the long run.

- The Gloria (leopard print and turban) and Jack scene was too delicious for words. But it was great to see it initiate self-destructiveness in Jack (calling his lawyer) that was the direct opposite of what he needed to do for Sharon. The scene wasn't just a pointless confrontation, but it set in motion that Jack was the instrument of his own ruin. And it created a pre-commercial cliffhanger (remember those? they've been gone for a while) when Noah went out in the snow.

- A limited number of sets, people sitting and talking....don't know how that will go for a steady diet, but it was really quite a nice change of pace.

In the end, New Years was a sad time, due to the stubborness and vindictiveness of two men. It's funny--Jack and Victor both so similar, both instruments of defeat. Maybe they should just realize what they really are, and go to bed together :-).

• Members

This comment was in relation to the fact that Janice Ferri Esser and Jerry Birn were no longer listed as B&B consultants.

Why do you say this?

B&B is the best it has ever been, with current stories rooted in decades of Forrester-Logan conflict, and the most destroyed convention on daytime (whodunit) was recently used as a genuine surprise, and with plot repercussions that could play out for years. I realize some of this probably lays at the feet of Kay Alden, but the fact remains that B&B's game is up around the same time as it inherited much of Y&R's team.

Or are you saying "Thank God" because you believe this writers are headed back to Y&R, where they are needed more badly.

Please advise!

Archived