AMC Photo of Zarf as Zoe

• Members

No, it's not set in stone and I don't personally believe that Bianca and Zoe are going to become romantically involved. I think ultimately Bianca will be Zarf/Zoe's Leo in supporting her coming out.

HOWEVER, what has ABCD sold to get viewers in to watch. "LESBIAN KISSES MAN!!! LESBIAN KISSES MAN!!!!! LESBIAN KISSES MAN!!! WHY? WHY? wHY? Tune in this Week to find out!" Complete with what? Images of Bianca's "blind" kiss of Zarf at the boathouse. That's the official SOAPnet promo of the week. And there has been TONS of insinuation, innuendo and outright obfuscation in PR and the show. The obfuscation is part of the marketing and it's what we've been seeing since Zarf's arrival and I expect to see it until the reveal. It's adding the Lesbian spice to the already buzz-grabbing TG PR. I expect a clarification of the relationship to platonic friendship (at least on Bianca's part) after the reveal.

This doesn't not let ABC off the hook for disrespecting Bianca's sexuality as a marketing ploy.

Besides, folks ought to be worried about the TG aspect of the story, too. Have you seen the latest ABCmedianet.com photos? Zoe, performing as "Zarf" in drag complete with feather boa at ConFusion on NYE because Zoe's still to afraid to own who she is.

As you say so often, alwayamc, we'll have to see exactly how it plays off, but after the Zoe's (imo) cruel and Kami Kazi reveal of herself to Bianca when Bianca expects a man to show up (and ain't that doubly wrong, McTravesty?) followed right up by a La Cage moment...I think the audience will be getting more drag queen stereotypes out of this than TG with inner lesbian moments. They're already wondering (or outright rooting for it) across the boards whether Bianca's going straight, bi- or maybe even she or Maggie will have gender re-assignment surgery. I've read it too many damned times.

Those pics "feel" like a some retro "Children's Hour," for TGs a tragic, self-loathing or humiliation setup for TGs set up, though I know AMC is all about the sensitivity and nothing like that could ever happen. It may not be what they've planned, but if the story tanks...they'll sure as hell do it, have Zoe off herself or be a victim of the serial killer, probably as she's saving Babe's life. I hope it doesn't work out that way. And I know Eden and Jeffrey will give the material more than it actuall is on the page. I do expect some electric moments at the reveal and beyond for Bianca and Zoe.

It'll make me sick if they screw this up for Zoe and Bianca as individual characters. I want TG representation. I like the potential in Zarf/Zoe and think Jeffrey's a fine actor. But there are warning lights. Warning means just that...not that everything speculated will come true, but be on the look out...conditions are suitable for just that: Danger.

Anyone who watched The UnAbortion come to live and walk and talk across our screen has ZERO reason to trust anything from the mouth or pen of McFronsie. These two folks were so clueless as to not realize they're might be folks upset about The UnAbortion AND had no inkiling that lesbian might just find it offensive to rape the only lesbian in Daytime...especially since it's an classic, bigoted, stereotypical treatment of lebians in media forever. Frons admitted it in print after the fact. Why trust any of them?

I happen to like a lot of what I see transpiring on the show right now. Just not this one aspect of the TG story.

Feel whatever you want, amcalways. Offer your opinions. But lay off the name-calling for everyone else.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'd personally rather see Liz Hendrickson return as Maggie full time (Gawd, BAM had chemistry), but this story sounds like it has a lot of potential if played out correctly.

One thing: With all the consultants writing at ABC, one question... is this REALLY Megan's story? :)

• Members

ICAM! The reason why the Bianca story worked so well was that she was tied to not one but TWO core families (the Kanes and the Montgomerys), and we got to see both Bianca, Jack, AND Erica deal with Bianca's burgeoning identity as an out gay woman.

Imagine if this were, to only use him as an example, Jamie Martin, and the story it would have created for Tad, Brooke (a story for Brooke? whodathunkit!), the rest of the Martins, etc. Now THAT would have been classic AMC storytelling. (Hell, it could have been a comeback story for Jamal...introducing JAMELIA!) This Zarf stuff is simply cynical and completely out of left-field...a textbook example of a stunt.

Archived