SOD Pic of Shelia/Phyllis

• Members

Marland will defend Kimberlin/Sheila to the bitter death so I suggest you quit now while your ahead Dru ;)

It is commendable how much you defend her Marland and I agree with what you said a while back, it would be interesting to get a reaction from Kimberlin to all of this.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

B)-->

QUOTE(Chris B @ Dec 25 2006, 06:05 AM)
All I care about is the story and the acting, anyone who watches a soap and expects 100% realism is dreaming.

This mentality is exactly what's wrong with our industry.

People will pass off any unbelievably stupid plot-twist as "It's just a soap opera. Let's keep suspending our disbelief!"

It's practically impossible to avoid analyzing the elements of the story and how plausible these things are, unless it's a soap like PASSIONS. And even then, hardcore fans of the show will judge how plausible the storyline is based on the world of Harmony.

I hate the lousy "It's just a soap opera" mentality. Why NOT expect a story to be told realistically? Would any story be up for grabs in terms of it not being told realistically? Even social issues stories? I mean, Y&R mucked up the fallout of Devon's hearing loss(with the Winters family learning sign language like, yesterday(forgive me for going all Christel on everybody)), AMC has ruined two potentially dynamic characters in Bianca and Zarf/Zoe, GL told an unrealistic and, quite frankly, insulting breast cancer story.

A GREAT writer will avoid cheap tactics that have been done before and try to do something slightly more original. And a writer should ALWAYS strive for realism, even in a science ficton realm(through the laws of that world, of course).

So, no. I'm not dreaming. Daytime just refuses to raise the bar.

• Members

It is interesting that you mention AMC. Prior to Y&R, AMC used to be the quality show I never thought I would give up on. I actually cared about the characters, more than any on Y&R, and they were written with integrity. Agnes Nixon always kept that show from going too far. Then AMC jumped the shark and started featuring only 20-37 year olds and shoved all the veterans to the back burner. As a 20-something I figured the show was aimed at me, but I didn't care as it became all about new characters I was not attached to. If I had a day off school to see what Tad and Erica were up to, they were no where to be seen. I notice Y&R going this way with a very large cast of 20 somethings, quite a number of which have no connections to anyone. Anyways, AMC lured me back in with the Michael Cambius/Bianca story but once that was over I could see the show going down hill and cut my losses. I was prepared to tune in again one day but when I heard that they reversed Erica's historic abortion for the sake of giving her a Son that was the final straw. Now I just skip right on past if I am at home when it is on. Y&R is taking a very large gamble with alienating their fan bases. As one can see from AMC's ratings decline, once that audience has been driven off they will not return.

• Members

You deserve a round of applause. The reason why soaps are failings is because the stories are so implausible and removed from reality. The Grey's Anatomies and CSI's are must see powerhouses for a reason. It shouldn't be a chore to demand that soap writers challenge themselves beyond science fiction and flights of fantasy.

Y&R has always been told from a human perspective and not immitating PSSNS.

To those who persist, "Don't watch!", I will hold true to my word and opt not to. Michelle Stafford bores me as of late. Enduring a double dose of her is not for me.

• Members

Speak for yourself, that's not my mentality at all. I agree that cheap gimmicks are ruining soaps, and like I've mentioned Sheila IS a cheap gimmick. If the character was to EVER be a permanent fixture on B&B/Y&R that would be the single handedly stupidest thing ever. I never said I was behind the story, but I am so very over Sheila and Kimberlin Brown, and yes I am curious what MS/writers will bring to the table in terms of Phelia.

• Members

I'm a huge Kimberlin Brown fan but I've accepted that she's done with the Bell soaps. I disagree that it would be stupid to have her as a permanent fixture on either (at least before the Jack Smith crap with Lauren and going back further to her killing Taylor). Up until 1998, the character had logical motivation. She had a conscience and her main MO was looking for love because of the way she'd been abused as a child.

Then came 2002 and her returning to LA which was completely wasted. They could have gotten her off for shooting Stephanie and thrown her back into the mix with the question of her sanity hanging over everything. The bullshit that she'd raised Mary as Eric's daughter? Please. I don't remember her giving a rat's ass about the man for her last 3 years on the show. That was when it was clear that they were only using the character as an occasional guest star to kill off dead wood and I lost interest. Part of me thought that Y&R would get her back to her roots but they lost it too. Just like Eric, she didn't give a [!@#$%^&*] about Lauren for the longest time. She had a child of her own and the only reason she'd stolen Scotty in the first place was to hold onto Scott, not some vendetta against Lauren. That was merely an incidental side effect of the baby switch/farmhouse mess.

Whatever. My biggest concern is Y&R going down the stupid plastic surgery route. It's not possible to get the kind of surgery that would make you someone's double. It might fly on other shows that don't profess to be the benchmark of daytime quality but I never thought Y&R would go there.

• Members

Bellcurve I agree with you in many ways but every soap has gone to the other side - not one of them is true to anything resembling reality at all anymore. And I for one believe that is the biggest thing that hurts them doing stories with any type of educational or public awareness level anymore.

I mean it started out innocent with all the returns from the death. And then they were overdone. It is to the point that almost every one of the soaps have these characters who constantly return from the dead and return to wreak havoc on the town.

They go crazy and then suddenly are redeemed and then suddenly go crazy again at the drop of a hat.

The villians are now flesh and blood villians anymore they are these super villians who have all these powers and resemble more like comic book villians than the great soap opera villians of old. I am so tired of the Janet Greens, Maraget Cochrans, Sheilas, Jan Spears, Stefano DiMeras, James Stenbecks, etc that the soaps keep parading out these days.

And then used to soaps made criminals pay - even adulterers had to pay for their crime of adultery. Now no one pays for what they do and never goes to jail anymore.

So yes I agree with you that the mentality of suspending reality is what is wrong with soaps, but to enjoy any of the 9 soaps on the air you have to do that these days. It's not just Passions anymore (which I forgive because they don't profess to be a regular soap) but the other 8 are just as guilty.

So with everything else I have been asked to suspend my belief on or forgive simply ignoring that this type of plastic surgery is not available is just another in a long line of them.

Archived